The Story Beyond The Still

Why US Residents alone?

Gopal Balaji

Gopal Balaji

Balaji from chennai, India who is eagerly waiting for this competition and after checking the contest rules completely disappointed with the rule restricting only to US residens.

Come on Canon / Vimeo. They are whole lot of people out there other than US who are ready to compete & challenge the contest and India / China can combine sell more cameras than US.

J.M.R. Luna

J.M.R. Luna

I live in the states, but im not american... im studing here.. does that work?

Kavin J.

Kavin J.

Yeahhh! I'm qualified.

sam lavi

sam lavi

Is it possible to join if i'm not living in the US but have a family member who does and can receive the award on my behaf? (i'm talking about the camera, not the trip)

Artjom Bagri

Artjom Bagri

Hi Vincent!
Good idea and incredible experience for all fanatics of film making! I was expected that this is not made in international way :( . Hope in the future will be some projects where everybody can participate.
But still .... Waiting for new shorts!!!

Bob

Bob

I am from Belgium;
I would-like to joint the contest !!!
Please accept others countries !!

Sandy Sutherland

Sandy Sutherland

will an entry be accepted if you provide a friends US address + phone number on your behalf? I likve in the UK and would love to enter somehow! Cheers.

Brian Johnston

Brian Johnston

I must admit, I'm kinda bummed that I can't participate in this... My Co-Producer and I just placed 3rd in the StudioDaily Contest and I was really looking forward to working on something for this and contributing to such a cool social project... But I am Canadian, as is everyone on our crew.

Paul Lapides

Paul Lapides

In the official rules it states that the contest "is offered and open only to legal residents of the United States and its territories". My understanding is that using a US address and phone number is not sufficient, because that doesn't make you "a legal resident of the United States".
I can see that one way not to break the rules is if your friend/relative (living in the USA) acts as a proxy on your behalf. This means that the submission is in their name, and they get the prize. This probably poses a problem for doing the Cabbie shoot with Vincent.

I wonder if one of the judges can elaborate on this. Thank you.

Vincent Laforet

Vincent Laforet PRO

Listen - you all need to understand that there is only so much I or Blake can say publicly. If you are one of the winners and find yourself in the States when the winners are flown to wherever we shoot the final chapter - I wouldn't be the one turning you away at the door...

Paul Lapides

Paul Lapides

I realize that the rules is a big legal document and you can't say too much about this issue. Thanks for your response!

SUPER MASSIVE

SUPER MASSIVE Plus

Fair enough for this to be a US based competition. Vincent and the other guys have been at the forefront of this movement and you know they would have tried to make it international if they could because as you all rightly object there's plenty of European, African, Latin American, Australasian filmmakers who'd kick the Americans' ass. These guys have busted a gut to get this thing off the ground so let's stop moaning. If you want a similar competition in your area then organise one. Maybe if we ask Vincent nicely maybe he'd let us all come together in one big continental supercomp and then we'd really see some great work. Too many people want this all handed on a plate (see Magic Lantern 7D whining for instance). Good work Vincent, Blake, Philip et al. We all owe you big time.

Vincent Laforet

Vincent Laforet PRO

Robin - appreciate that. I am a naturalized citizen in the US - OF COURSE I want this to be open to everyone... at this time - you have to meet the guidelines of having a US address, phone number etc. At some point I hope that this can become an international contest - it has already been discussed - but let's focus on making this one a success first!

Our Wedding Video

Our Wedding Video Plus

I can see why some people are a little peeved about the US rule but lordy, if you really want to take part you're being TOLD that it's acceptable to bend that rule ever so slightly to enter.

I'm way off the mark of even contemplating an entry but trust me, if I had the skills to make something worth submitting, I'd find a way to submit it.

By the way, this white-on-black colour scheme is giving me a headache, can someone please change it? Oh and this chair hurts my back, can somebody bring me a new and more expensive one?

Brian Johnston

Brian Johnston

Thanks for the info guys!! I look forward to being a part of this awesome idea.

Now hiring US based crew member, lol..... kidding, Time to call some friends!

Tedd Josiah

Tedd Josiah

Hypothetically speaking... If we were to exclude US and have a contest for the rest of the worlds inhabitants we would still have over 6.3 billion people with global perspectives.
But since we are not closed minded we will start one for the global village with the 6,692.030.277 and not just the 304,059.724.
So do Canon, Vimeo, Vincent, Red giant and all those others want a piece of the global village or did canon create the 7d with only 24 frames per second (for US)?
Just putting it out there folks no hard feelings ;-)

Gopal Balaji

Gopal Balaji

Thanks Vincent for considering and discussing for including outside US people for this competition.

SUPER MASSIVE

SUPER MASSIVE Plus

There's no doubt this is a great idea for a competition and I don't see any reason why we couldn't build similar comps in our localised territories, after all look how popular the 48hour Film Challenge concept has become. In my opinion this is actually a better concept. I'm a London based filmmaker and would happily take on the challenge of creating a UK (European maybe?) hub for a similar comp if anyone were interested in doing it with me. I'm a (reasonably!) successful director and know tons of music vid and commercials directors who are fascinated by this camera and would love a chance to see what it can do. Who's with me?

elskid.com/
elskid.com/blog

Angelo Evans

Angelo Evans

I hope some time will be a similar contest for Europe...

Fabien Le Boulluec

Fabien Le Boulluec

Great, I've some friends in San Diego, CA, where I used to live in 1998, maybe I can use their address to participate.
But if I'm one of the 6 finalists, will I have to pay my plane ticket from Biarritz (south of France) to San Diego to shoot the last part with Vincent Laforet? Where exactly? Los Angeles?
Thanks for your answer...

Vincent Laforet

Vincent Laforet PRO

Clyde - I grew up for a bit in Biarritz btw... we'll figure out where the final shoot will be at that time... I'd pay for the cheapest flight to anywhere in the US - Canon will fly the winners from anywhere in the US to where we will shoot the final chapter together...

Miles Langley

Miles Langley Plus

Hopefully if this competition is successful it can be run in the UK next time.

Senseii

Senseii

Most people are inquiring why they have to be a legal US resident to participate in this contest etc. Here is my take.

The organization or companies who are sponsoring these events have to report ANY and every give-away, gift, prize, award and other offering/s to the IRS in their corporate tax forms every year. The reason is, the company or the organization has to defer taxes for whatever the item they awarded. The second part is the IRS does collect US taxes from the person/s for that item. It is just like you win a lottery. Therefore, the recipient has to be a legal US resident with a valid SSN or a resident alien with an assigned US Tax registration number.

Since Canon USA and Vimeo are registered US corporations, they have to abide by these rules and regulations. It is a logistical and a legal issue and NOT an issue that they “don't like you sort of a thing”.

Jack Toohey

Jack Toohey

I was getting ready to fire up and spurt out lots about how unfair it is and how there is a world outside of the states. But after reading the posts above, I kinda burnt out.

So now I'm just going to say Good Luck to all the enterers and I really hope there can be another one for the Australia/Australasia region. Though I doubt it.

:D

Aalok

Aalok

I was also getting ready to say how unfair. I understand the need to keep it for US Residents after reading Sensell. However, what saddens me is that this contest may never come to India. Australia yes. Europe yes. But India, i doubt it..Well, good luck folks...i might just enter in my videos to this contest for the fun of it...

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.

This is a Vimeo Group. Groups allow you to create mini communities around the things you like. Check out other interesting groups. Groups