The Story Beyond The Still

Equipment

WJ Smith

WJ Smith

I am assuming that SLR camera's should be used? ie. not an HD camcorder

Blake Whitman

Blake Whitman Staff

Don't assume anything. Read the rules very carefully - you can use any HD camera. Hope you enter!

Corrupt Frame, Inc.

Corrupt Frame, Inc. Plus

You can use whatever HD camera you want so long as the final product is 720p.

There was another competition I found online where the prizes were 5D, 7D, and 1D, canon SLRs. The ironic and silly part was in order to compete you had to shoot your film on one of those three cameras. So it was essentially a kind of 'win another camera like the one you already have' contest, which I thought is a little silly. And frustrating because I want one of these cameras and I would love to earn one with my talents rather than just buying one.

Needless to say I was very pleased to find this wonderful competition.

Mark Weaver

Mark Weaver

It's kind of funny. Every winner of this competition already has these cameras.

Maladaahn

Maladaahn

That's great PR for Canon!

Jason Allen

Jason Allen Plus

Hmmm... I was going to use my Nikon D90 for this, but if we're allowed to use ANY camera, provided the final product is in 720p, I'm borrowing the HVX-200 and Letus35 kit from work :-D

^ I'm with ya, Angus... it's always nicer earning gear than buying it. I'd love to win a 5D or 7D so I have an excuse to try out the Canon SLR lineup... better & faster primes than Nikon. mmmmm, 35/1.4 & 85/1.2.

Corrupt Frame, Inc.

Corrupt Frame, Inc. Plus

And friendly competition is just good fun. It really encourages creativity. Back when I was in High School I was always looking for video competitions, but they were few and far between. I would always find them when it was too late. Now there's a billion of them to choose from. Unfortunately I don't have as much free time as I did in High School :(

Jason Allen

Jason Allen Plus

Likewise... available time for fun (aka non-paying) video projects is a luxury that I can only sometimes afford. I'm probably going to have to hold off until Chapter 3 so that I have enough time to put a proper entry together.

I'm also really eager to see how far the A/V community pushes itself for this contest. The sample video from Mr. Laforet sets the bar pretty high! :-) Competition often brings out the most creativity and ingenuity in this industry, so there should be some great work coming out of this.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.

This is a Vimeo Group. Groups allow you to create mini communities around the things you like. Check out other interesting groups. Groups