The Story Beyond The Still

When it's all said and done...

Jason Slack

Jason Slack

Will we be notified of how the votes stacked up? or is it just a "a winner has been announced" sort of thing.

Popeye Theophilus Barrnumb

Popeye Theophilus Barrnumb

It would have been nice to see some "numbers" in all of it, so people can get an idea of how far off they are, and in what areas of judging. That would have been very helpful to everyone. (even if they were presented semi-anonymously, where "Judge 1" could be any of the judges, etc.)

It's also too bad that the chapter winners ends up being a "popularity contest" rather than a true(er) choosing of the "best film".

ciaoifilm.net/enews/20100513.php

Jason Slack

Jason Slack

and will the winner be announced tonight at midnight?

Jeff Turick

Jeff Turick Plus

I completely agree that the popularity contest thing doesn't seem to fit. For all the work that we put into making our films, that the prize should go to the best social networker, or worse: anyone who would stoop to create a host of fraud accounts just to beef up their votes, just sucks the air out of the endgame of the competition. I do so hope that Vimeo has some sort of IP address tracker to keep anyone from "cheating" but in any case, would be really nice if the the popularity contest went away should Canon and Vimeo choose to do another cycle of this splendid contest.

Abe Duenas

Abe Duenas Plus

you mean getting messages like the one below is not fair, Ahh And I thought he really wanted to be my friend :(

Chapter 4: A Gift From Artemis
vimeo.com/11449682

Hi Everyone,
I hope this message finds you well. I am sending you this message because I currently have a video up for review at a competition. It is in the top 5, and the winner is based off of votes. I'd be extremely grateful if you could take a minute of your time and visit the link below and vote for my film.

Thank you so much for your time!

vimeo.com/groups/beyondthestill

Click on the icon for "Chapter 4:A Gift From Artemis", and once the video loads underneat that icon, click on the red button (to vote) on the left.

Thank you again and warm regards!

Jonathan

Jeff Turick

Jeff Turick Plus

I don't fault Jonathan's note. I think the pressure of the pop contest pushes people to have to play the best social game they can. And I think Jonathan has made a good-hearted and honest gesture to drum up support for his film. I think that's great. I just think it's unfortunate that that's what the contest becomes at the end of each month.

Sean T. McCoy

Sean T. McCoy

@Angus No they don't. They tell you to watch all five, but you need only click OK, without watching a single video. Kind of wish they did make everyone watch, that way more people would see our work. But I know some of the people I reached out to, had no desire to watch four other shorts, let alone the three that led up to mine.

Corrupt Frame, Inc.

Corrupt Frame, Inc. Plus

That's weird.

My coworker told me that it wouldn't let him vote without watching all 5 first. He had watched them already, on my computer while I was logged into my account. And then he created his own Vimeo account so that he could vote. Maybe that had something to do with it? Maybe Vimeo knows what you've watched when you're logged in?

I dunno...

Blake?

Sean T. McCoy

Sean T. McCoy

Obviously, the reason they leave it open to the public is so that we will get out there and push the Vimeo name, driving thousands of people to their webzone, who may have otherwise never heard of Vimeo.com. Pretty smart marketing if you ask me. And can you blame them? They’re giving away some pretty swank loot.

Personally, my wife made me business cards to hand out at work and to friends and family, basically saying what the dude from A Gift has allegedly been spamming. If he wins because he reached the most people and got them to create accounts (that they'll likely never use again) then I guess that's what the contest really is.

Three hours to go. Good luck everyone.

Jason Slack

Jason Slack

ha. funny enough, i got the same message from johnathan. I wanted to say "dude, im one of the other finalists" but everyone does what they have to do.

im just pretty pumped that we made finalist as amateurs. thats the big win for me.

Coat of Arms

Coat of Arms Plus

Hey all, Totally just found this. I certainly didn't intend to upset anyone by inviting the people I know to watch my film. I'm proud of it, and want as many people to see it as possible. I also don't see any harm in bringing attention to the competition, whether they are my friends/contacts or yours.

I also firmly believe that the best film is going to win regardless. 4000 people have watched each of the videos. I think all 5 finalists have a very good chance regardless of the popularity thing.

With that said, I would much rather NOT worry about the popularity thing. But alas, its what we're dealt for the moment, and in the industry. And makes complete sense given Vimeo's involvement. After all, they want to build as large of a community as possible.

Hope this finds everyone well! And best of luck to each and every one of the 5 videos.

Jonathan

Maladaahn

Maladaahn

Hey Jonathan, got your message as well, and to be honest, I'm surprised everyone in the top 5 hasn't sent messages. Obviously you want to notify everyone you can. Perfectly reasonable to me.

Jacob Snyder

Jacob Snyder Plus

Jonathan,

If I were in the top 5, I would have done the exact same thing :)

Charles Frisby

Charles Frisby PRO

Isn't that the name of the game? I can't imagine how many new vimeo users the site gets each time a top 5 hits.

Jason Slack

Jason Slack

No worries man. Just got a kick out of it.

Jason Slack

Jason Slack

40 minutes left. This is killin me.

Coat of Arms

Coat of Arms Plus

I'm sure every single one of the top 5 appreciate how you feel. We still don't know if we find out exactly at midnight right?

Sean T. McCoy

Sean T. McCoy

We do.

Segment Four (Period/Submission/Judging) begins:

May 18, 2010 at 12:00 a.m. EST (EDIT: Sorry I know better than to have left this out!) vimeo.com/groups/beyondthestill/rules

Without a final winner tonight, we wont know what still to use for Chapter Five.

30 minutes...

Jason Slack

Jason Slack

not sure...i assume that it would be, since thats when it put up the finalists...if it isnt, im gonna have a hard time sleeping haha.

Jason Slack

Jason Slack

I think it's east coast. Sorry anyone in Cali. :) the right coast has it's advantages.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.

This is a Vimeo Group. Groups allow you to create mini communities around the things you like. Check out other interesting groups. Groups