The Story Beyond The Still

How can 'Homecoming' not make it to the top 5?

Layla

Layla Plus

Very confuzzled about this :(
(I was almost even planning my continuation story around it)

V.strange. That's not to say the top 5 videos who made it there weren't good, cos they were (I'm watching the ones I missed now) But it's just really weird. I seriously thought homecoming was a winner.

As well as the comedy video by yoked, but lets face it - a comedy is NEVER going to get in the top 5 :(

Popeye Theophilus Barrnumb

They, among others, were screwed. BIG time.

If there is ANY method to this madness, I would guess that the hand held hurt them.

People who were paying attention noticed that you MUST have these in your production to make Top 5:

1) an hdSLR
2) a dolly shot of some sort (at least one)
3) a jib arm shot (preferably a complex one)
4) very little to no hand held (with possible occasional minimal exceptions)

vimeo.com/groups/beyondthestill/videos/13444986

@James Chick -- You were SO seriously screwed! I feel so bad for you. That is really unfortunate. It REALLY pisses me off.

I would have to say that your film is EASILY the best film I have seen out of ALL of the films in this entire contest. It was amazing. I think, in most ways, it was better than Laforet's original. You should not only have won Top 5, you should have won Chapter 6. Not even close. MAN THAT SUCKS!

If I was a judge in this contest, I would actually feel ashamed. Maybe even resign in protest.

Try to not let it get you down and bother you. Go on and make more great films. Don't mess with this stupid contest. You have bigger and better things to be doing. Good luck with your obvious upcoming successful career. (I wish you lived in my area so I could work with you)

FINKTOONS

FINKTOONS

Thanks for the kind words folks! I was hoping our short would be top 5, but ya win some and you lose some.... We had fun making the film and really learned a bunch during the process. Good luck to the top 5 entries!

@ Marc Jonathan de Jesus: Yes, I was surprised that you made Top 5. It was definitely an aberration, of sorts. Technically, I don't think your film was Top 5-worthy. (and definitely not over some of the others) But, I liked parts of it, and kind of liked the idea for the film. But there were too many other issues, imo, that made it fail. (partly acting and dialogue, and some other stuff) So you lucked out, basically, as some others have done. (Chapter 5 winner comes to mind) There is WAY too much luck involved in this contest. (when the obvious intent is to NOT have it luck-based, which is generally the supposed intent of all such contests) So, good luck, because that is now what you are going to need to win. If I was going to vote, I might seriously consider choosing yours. And good job overall for the attempt. Keep up the good work.

Marc Jonathan de Jesus

Marc Jonathan de Jesus

fair enough.. i was wearing my lucky pacquiao shorts when i read the finalsts.. ;) (the same ones i switched too when the lakers came back from 13 down in game 7 last month)

Charles Frisby

Charles Frisby PRO

You got in because the judges scoped your Anakin Skywalker tribute ;)

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.

This is a Vimeo Group. Groups allow you to create mini communities around the things you like. Check out other interesting groups. Groups