The Story Beyond The Still

TOP 5?

Layla

Layla Plus

I really liked 'Leverage' - hope that makes the top 5. Didn't get much time to view the chapters though

Maladaahn

Maladaahn

Congrats to the Top 5 and good luck!

Ryan Neil Postas

Ryan Neil Postas Plus

I'm very disappointed in the top 5 this round- especially when the first still is not even interpreted directly. Feels inconsistent with the rules set out from the beginning. Miracle has my vote.

Dan Sullivan

Dan Sullivan

Are you upset with an inconsistency with the rules or an inconsistency with the story line? Because they actually encouraged from the beginning to take the stills and interpret them uniquely as to not just make a 7-part film. Miracle has hints of the other characters, but starts with new people involved. Leverage is actually a step in a different direction, not involving the cabbie and briefly mentioning the girl, Allison. And Seer takes an even more "experimental" take on the last still, adding new characters and creating all new mysteries. So in my mind, I don't see any problem with the styles or content of the selections for round 5. But if you were talking more about some rule, please explain what you're upset about.

Popeye Theophilus Barrnumb

The winning entry didn't show the final image for 5 seconds like the rules state. In a 4-minute film, 5 seconds is an eternity. I noticed other people were not following that rule, either. The Top 5 finalist films for this round were very weak in a lot of ways. I was surprised. I didn't get a chance to view a lot of films, so I don't know how they stacked up against all of the other entries.

Ryan Booth

Ryan Booth Plus

josh - cody bess who directed "try" and i share studio space together...i was one of the bad guys who got beat up in his piece and he helped do some lighting/shooting in mine. just fyi. :) i had hoped he would make top 5!

Blair Dog

Blair Dog Plus

I liked try fromt he beginning. You guys did a nice job. Sorry that you all didn't make it to the top 5

Yiow Jun Joe Chuang

Yiow Jun Joe Chuang

Come on now, I can't believe the top 5 they have picked this round, it seems even worse than last round, there are at least 2 videos they doesn't even start with the still of Allison, and what is up with that guy running around in the field, I have no idea what's going on?

Seems like for the last two chapters the only thing matters is production value, as long as long as they have crane shot, they will be considered top 5, hey now, if that's the case, then just say so in the first place so we won't be wasting everybody's time

Sean T. McCoy

Sean T. McCoy

The rules are very clear:

Rules:
2. All film entries must begin with the still image concluding the previous winning chapter, which must then be recreated or reinterpreted to begin your film entry.

What two videos don't start on the still?

The recreation is easy, but what does "reinterpreted" mean? It sure would be nice to get a little judicial insight into that aspect.

Lew Fraga

Lew Fraga

I figured as long as it started with the closeup of a face, that counted as a reinterpretation. Yeah, mine may have started with a young girl's face like the starting still but it could just as easily be a guy, or a dog, etc. Closeup of a "face" I think counts, so I felt like they were in the clear for that.

Chris Nash

Chris Nash

We worked very hard on our entry and after a winner is selected you better believe we're going to work even harder.

The best thing to do is to congratulate the winners and start thinking of your next project.

-Chris

Ryan Maxwell

Ryan Maxwell

I wish mine had been uploaded in time. I may be crazy, but I think it might have had a shot at top 5. vimeo.com/12478519

Thoughts?

Possibly. I've given up on trying to figure out what the judges are looking for. (although, if you don't do some fancy jib and dolly shots, it doesn't seem to bode well -- or if you use a non-DSLR camera) They are not very consistent, although we don't even know which sub-group of judges is judging each chapter, do we? (it would have been REALLY nice if we could have seen the judges marks anonymously, and the final averaged scores, plus maybe a short comment or two from them)

Your film was pretty good.

The things I noticed about your film were some odd focusing, which could just be "style", the music was too loud in a few places and the dialogue too low, and the bad guy's not-so-good acting (imo) hurt a little. I also didn't understand it, with the guy on the radio, but that could just be me. (ideally, you shouldn't have to watch the film more than once (as some suggest/request) -- if that is a "requirement", then you have failed -- and there are (always) the "little things", like the key necklace being too low so you couldn't see that it was a skeleton key, so I didn't understand what the bad guy was talking about, and I had to stop and rewind -- I hate it when that stuff happens -- which is why you need a good Continuity person on set with eagle eyes)

Would those have been points against you? I don't know.

Good job overall, though.

(I had last-minute problems that caused me to miss the deadline, too, although I don't think my film had a chance, so it didn't matter)

Lew Fraga

Lew Fraga

Only a few more days... Than planning planning planning - and SHOOT!

Yeah, I'm giddy.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.

This is a Vimeo Group. Groups allow you to create mini communities around the things you like. Check out other interesting groups. Groups