The Story Beyond The Still

A little help from Marc Jonathan de Jesus?

Kris Koster

Kris Koster

I guess this is going to sound like a very dumb question. for which I apologise in advance..

At the end, is the cabbie hallucinating about the girl as he's talking to the bear and Allison is gone?

Jeff Turick

Jeff Turick Plus

Hey Kris,
isn't that somethign you should answer for your own story? if it's at the end, take it any direction you want, man. that's the beauty of this whole thing.

Tim Kay

Tim Kay

Marc, congrats on the win!

Kris, good question. The story is working on so many multi/parallel time lines that now adding the bend of reality is going to make this stew that much more of a challenge in sub 4 mins! Now we're taking on matrix/inception along with the Borne Identity series.

Marc Jonathan de Jesus

Marc Jonathan de Jesus

thanks tim. actually the only reality is the delusions and the real world. but i guess its up to you how to take it.. i responded below to kris, and how i took iti

Kris Koster

Kris Koster

Okay, I thought it was something I may have missed that was blatently obvious and I was just being dumb about it...

Now that I know it's another totally random twist (a.k.a. bear in the sand), I can check myself out of the funny farm! :-)

Congrats on the win too, Marc!

Marc Jonathan de Jesus

Marc Jonathan de Jesus

its not a random twist. According to my own storyline, the reaspn for the Cabble/Vinnie... (which you can barely see on the newspaper article)

is because his daughter was hit by a speeding taxi a year ago.. When she died.. he suffered a mental break, and since then, in his delusions, he took on the identity of the cabbie that hit his daughter.. and he imagine his daughter still alive, see he couldn't yet let her go..

definitely not a random twist.

Chris Nash

Chris Nash

WATCHED | MY THOUGHTS
1 | This could go anywhere! But it gives me that suspenseful adventure vibe, like Mirror Mask or something.

1&2 | Unclear villains! Weird coincidences! This must be a suspenseful mind-bender!

1,2&3 | Thoughtful introspective beach scene, yes! Haunted by events of the past night. A clear understanding of who saw the murder. This is leading to some sort of catastrophe!

1,2,3&4 | Oooh! I knew it. His daughter's gone! (I'm going to ignore the "bears choose them" line so my brain doesn't go boom) She's being held by some mystery man! I'm dizzy with anticipation!

1,2,3,4&5 | His daughter died before! She has been a clone or something all this time! He's been on the run for over a year! (His house looked really furnished though... must have been his mom's or something.) He's about to go inside! The fool, he'll just be captured! Why does he follow every note/direction he's given?

1,2,3,4,5&6 | Nothing that has happened so far is real! Or is it?! I love a good mystery! Here are my guesses: Either nothing has been real, in which case we've been watching fantasy footage for 5 chapters, or everything has been real and this new fantasy is somehow useful to the mystery man! I think this could go just about anywhere now. It was nice to see the Cabbie finally make a decision to do something that wasn't written on a note.
-----

Don't explain it. Just let us see it and work from it. We will always work from what the movie told us, not you.

As far as the story goes, yours is the second random twist. (The first being the daughter being dead.) I disagree with the polarization of story or no story. Why not some uncomfortable thing in the middle? A loose story. I see no problem with a loose story. I think that's what we have, and we should embrace it (very loosely, of course).

Marc Jonathan de Jesus

Marc Jonathan de Jesus

Chris, just wanted to explain that my delusion angle wasn't a "totally random" twist that was thrown in there like the polar bear from lost.

If you read the details page of my film, you'll see i referenced items, events and words from the past so that everything can twist into the delusion angle.

Chris Nash

Chris Nash

Learn this now: Viewers will never, ever read your detail page. So make sure your meaning comes across in a very clear way.

In this case, I say let go of what you think your film means, and enjoy the community's interpretation of it. No more details, just relax--you made a good film and it won :)

P.S.
I never watched Lost. But there was a polar bear in the Santa Clause with Tim Allen. It's the movie where he kills Santa, and suffers a delusional episode where he's forced to take the identity of Santa. It's a really good one. I think they made a squeal.

Marc Jonathan de Jesus

Marc Jonathan de Jesus

Thanks.. i know... I just wanted to let Kris know, that i didnt randomly throw anything random in randomly, just for randomness sake. :)

Lew Fraga

Lew Fraga

Yeah - haven't said that yet - congrats Marc!

Marc Jonathan de Jesus

Marc Jonathan de Jesus

thank you maladaahn and lewis.. appreciate it. good luck to you both if you are shooting this next chapter!

Kris Koster

Kris Koster

Hey Marc,

Thank you for the explanation! I had missed the link with the newspaper article. It makes a lot more sense now! :-)

Marc Jonathan de Jesus

Marc Jonathan de Jesus

Yah, that was one of the challenges of trying to jam a lot of info and backstory into 4 minutes.... so are we going to be seeing a chapter 7 from you?

Kris Koster

Kris Koster

Nah Marc.... Would love to come out to play again for a third attempt, but I'm booked out (on and off) till October now. Can't complain I suppose! I will look out for the next contest though!!

Have fun with Vincent and the others, I envy that experience you have coming!!

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.

This is a Vimeo Group. Groups allow you to create mini communities around the things you like. Check out other interesting groups. Groups