Canon XF Video

Compact Flash cards

Jeff Anselmo

Jeff Anselmo

So which ones do XF 300/305 operators use?

I understand the value of buying the "best" CF cards you can get, and know that Canon has its own brand recommendations (i.e., Sandisk Extremes, et al). But would still like to know if there are other brands that people have tested?

Brian C. Weed

Brian C. Weed

I make sure to test any new CF card right away when I get it by recording one large clip through the entire capacity of the card, usually with heavy overcranking, to make sure it works well with the camera. Some cards have trouble spanning the clip break at 2gb (5:15 @ 50Mbps), resulting in an error message and the camera will need to recover data. My Lexar Professionals and Patriots were not up to the task. So far i've had no problems with Sandisk Extreme 60MB/s cards (32 & 16) and I have an 8gb Ridata that works great; they've induced no errors and can record constantly without a clip break through capacity, even with overcranking. I have read of one person (Doug Jensen, I believe) having a problem with the Sandisk 90MB/s while overcranking, but my 60MB/s Sandisks have gone with no problem for over 200 hours of shooting now. I'm 100% confident in them.

Jeff Anselmo

Jeff Anselmo

I originally bought 2 16G Hoodman CFs, along with a Nexto DI extreme 500G. But I'm thinking I'll need additional cards, maybe a 32G card, in the future. But I've only shot for short periods on just one of the 16G card. Fortunately, I've had no errors with that one card. I think I'll go ask a friend for his CF cards and see if they'd work on the XF cam.

Brian C. Weed

Brian C. Weed

Let me know if you come across any winners!

guslar

guslar

Ive just tested 64GB (400x) from Silicon Power(Taiwan shop) and it works great, as second Im using 16GB (600x) from Lexar no problems so far.

Jeff Lower

Jeff Lower Plus

I've tried a few Transcend 32GB & 64GB (400x) cards and they work fine at 25 & 35 MB/s, but not at 50 MB/s. Then I tried some Lexar Pro 32GB (300x) and they work great even at 50mps overcranked. I tried one of their new pro 32GB (400x) cards and it crashed every five minutes or so at 25, 25, and 50 MB/s..

Exact Image

Exact Image Plus

|I've just been testing the XF100 @ 1080/25p 50mbps and have run through 8 Transcend 32GB 400x cards without any problems at all. The same cards also work fine in the XF300 I tested (also 1080/25p 50mbps). I don't use over cranking.

Wmedia

Wmedia PRO

Hey, you are confident the 32GB Transcend 400x will work with my XF100 doing 1080/25p?
Perhaps it's the PAL/NTSC frame rate that causes some issues in writing???

Robert John

Robert John

I use SanDisk Extreme Pro 64 gig UDMA 6 90 MBs cards with absolutely no problems.

CRAIG ALLEN CONOLEY

CRAIG ALLEN CONOLEY Plus

I'm trying to find out how long I can shoot with a 32GB sandisk extreme cf at 50mbs with a resolution of 1280x720(24p) I'm thinking its 80min but I'm not sure! Any and all verification would be awesome!!!

Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly Plus

I have both the Sandisk Extreme Pro 90MB 32 GB and the Transcend 600x 16 GB. Both work very well. Both handle interval recording without problems.

StudioStars Video Production

StudioStars Video Production Plus

Do not get the "Digital Speed 32GB 500X Professional High Speed 100MB/s Error Free (CF) UDMA Memory Cards." "Error Free" could not be more wrong as I receive a Buffer Overflow message every time I record at 50 MB/s after about 6 minutes. I recover the data as prompted and then only have the first 5 min. 15 sec. of footage. I bought the cards with the Canon XF 105 camcorder to get the package deal and now regret my decision.

giulio muratori

giulio muratori

I just shot some footage in the last three weeks, rented an XF305 they gave me a Sandisk 16 GB 60MB. No problem, the week later they gave me a Lexar 16GB 400X error after 5.15 minutes! I quickly switched to the other card a brand new Lexar 16GB 400X same shit! Went back to the rental place to let them know, which they new nothing about this problem! We tried a Lexar 16GB 300X for about 8 min, no problem, but ran into a problem @ just over 10 min!
All footage shot at 50MB/s. Is it a Lexar problem, or Canon? Anybody has any answers?

Snowblindfilm

Snowblindfilm Plus

Canon just released the firmware update for Lexar x300 cards. All card speed are not equal. They are mostly made for bursts, but not for sustained writing of video stream. This is Lexar problem, quite well documented, there is a list on Canon web page of cards tested and approved. Also make sure the card is not a counterfeit from China.

Snowblindfilm

Snowblindfilm Plus

James, my personal advice for people is to avoid anything above 16GB, of course you can shoot on 2 cards at once, but I would never shoot onto one 64GB card. I had 3 SDHC cards fail in the middle of the shoots, losing footage is no fun.
Also 90Mbs is a big overkill, Sandisk 400x does the job just fine and it works in every mode without extra price tag.

Alfredo forestiero

Alfredo forestiero

Ciao.
Io utilizzo Sandisk da 32 gb UDMA60 mbs .
Mi capita che la scheda viene scritta solo per 22gb per un totale di circa 60 minuti alla max risoluzione, anzichè 80 , come indica il display.
Su di una scheda da 16gb ne vengono registrati solo 12 gb.
Capita anche a Voi ? E' normale. ?

Al Bergstein

Al Bergstein Plus

Alfredo, Non sono d'accordo. E' non normale. Ottengo 32 GB da una scheda da 32 GB. Capito? Pardone mi. Io uso Google Translate perché è passato molto tempo da quando sono rientrato in Italia. Una volta ho parlato in italiano.

Hai aggiornare il firmware?

Alfredo Bergstein (G).

Alfredo forestiero

Alfredo forestiero

Hello Al, do not worry about the language, message received perfectly ...
So I write to you confirming that all 32 gb?
We've updated the firmware to the latest release, but still does not go over 22 gb ...

Al Bergstein

Al Bergstein Plus

I just formatted a brand new Sandisk Extreme Pro 90MB/s UDMA 6 - 32 GB card, using the xf305, and it shows 31.98 GBs. It claims I have 82 minutes of shooting available. Are you saying that when you actually shoot that you are not getting more than 22 GBs from the card??? I haven't actually tried to shoot 82 minutes of footage, but if that's the problem, I'll just turn the camera on and test it. If you mean that you are just not seeing more than 22 GBs you may have a defective card. I've heard that defect rates on cards in general are fairly high. It's why I use Sandisk, as I have had higher than expected failures on other major card brands. That's one reason I bought the dual card slot camera.

You could try running a disk utility on it and seeing if you can format it on a computer and check to see if there are bad sectors to the disk. Let us know what you find out.

Alfredo forestiero

Alfredo forestiero

the problem is on 2 cards 60mb Sandisk 32 Gb / s and also on 2 GB cards from the same brand and type 16, which says only 12 gb.
The same 16 gb cards are also used in Sony HDV player MKRC1 and are written in full.
I ask the courtesy of trying to write all the 32 GB card and see if you actually record 82 minutes at max resolution.
regards

Matthew ford

Matthew ford

When I dump my Sandisk 32 GB Extreme Pro cards it says around 29 .5GB when full, sometimes 28 + but shows 82 min recording time on the camera although I have never tested this. I always format the cards in camera. This is interesting!

Al Bergstein

Al Bergstein Plus

It's a disk drive, part of the card is for the format.you never get 1tb on a drive, some is reserved for housekeeping.

Matthew ford

Matthew ford

Yes I know, and I know they are always loose with the numbers. I suppose the point is are we getting the stated 82 mins for 32 GB. I watch my time like a hawk but for some it may catch them out, and once is to often

Al Bergstein

Al Bergstein Plus

True enough. I'm going to be very cautious in the field because of this. I don't have an unlimited supply of top end cards, and I'm sure I'm not alone!!!

Alfredo forestiero

Alfredo forestiero

Nel week end I pulled the card to download it on PC and not yet full, put it back in the car, calculates the recording time on the capacity available ... But the surprise was that wrote the card in full, using all 32 gb ...
I have therefore redone the test and I found that if you pull the card and reinsert it, does not present the limit of writing.
It may be that there is a limit on the maximum number of files?

Suraj Films

Suraj Films PRO

I HAVE 3X16 GB TRANSCEND 400X AND BUNCH OF LEXAR 8GB 300X ALL OF THEM ARE UDMA AND THEY WORK FINE WHEN I TRIED KINGSTON 600X IS BUFFER OVERFLOW.... I JUST PUT AN ORDER FOR TRANSCEND 32 GB 400X UDMA HOPE THEY WILL DO IT FINE TOO!

Wmedia

Wmedia PRO

Hi, I just stumbled across this thread and have some concerns for my project next week.
I am shooting a 3 day conference, and I'm required to take long shoots of the presenters, and then smaller snippets between those. Problem is that some presenters will present for over 40 mins. I have a Canon XF100 (Love it) and 2 x 16GB Sandisk Extreme 60mb/s cards. I have just ordered and payed for 2 x Transcend 400x 32GB cards for the conference, which (much to my dismay) have issues with buffer overrun! Will I be OK setting the camera to 25Mbps or the middle 35 VBR to keep writing safe? Perhaps I don't even use the 32's. I need good quality video, but its not going to be broadcast, It's mainly for DVD and online HD stuff. Any help/answers will be awesome.

maxismedia

maxismedia

Hi. I tested a 32GB transcend (400x) and works well. I recorded a large footage with no problem!

Wayne Harley

Wayne Harley

We have two Xf 305 kits, being still somewhat fearful of dumpng down onto hardrives in the field and wiping cards we kitted each camera with 16 cards being Sandisk 32gb/60mbs. We've had no problems with the Sandisk cards in the past 10 months, they've been wiped and rotated after each shoot has finished about 5 times now.

jennifer Taylor

jennifer Taylor Plus

Upgrading from a Sony Z1U and pretty sure I'm going to an XF100. Any suggestions on reliable and fast card readers for footage transfer?

Brian C. Weed

Brian C. Weed

I use this one:

amazon.com/Lexar-Dual-Slot-Memory-Reader-RW035-001/dp/B0013TRZI2/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1321744888&sr=1-6

Even though it's only USB 2.0, it interfaces much faster than most USB readers because it supports UDMA. Quick transfer, cheap price and it's very reliable. I've had mine for years and it's never skipped a beat.

If you've got a USB 3.0 connection, you might want the updated model instead:

amazon.com/Lexar-Professional-Dual-Slot-Reader-LRW300URBNA/dp/B0050C9ZMC

If you want/need a firewire reader, this one is the most recommended I find:

amazon.com/Sandisk-Extreme-SDDRX4-FireWire-Reader/dp/B000L97K44/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1321744888&sr=1-2

Should give very rapid transfers, but it's pricey!

Wayne Harley

Wayne Harley

We use a Lexar Firewire 800 card reader, bought it from Adorama last year for about US$85, don't know if they still make them but we've never had any problem with it.

Wildhoop Productions

Wildhoop Productions

Going to be doing fieldwork shooting in the jungle with xf300. Is Nexto the only storage to consider or is the Sanho Hyperdrive worth a look?

Jeff Anselmo

Jeff Anselmo

Don't know if you've made it out to your jungle shoot already, but I've only been using a Nexto (older DI extreme 500G model) for dumping CF card footage. I only own 2 16G CF cards and dump all footage into the Nexto first, then copy over to PC's harddrive, then finally archive to an external harddrive. My Nexto has been great in the field.

Joel Mitchell

Joel Mitchell

has anyone used the duracell 600x cards... it seems like they should work and they always come up as the cheapest 600x on Amazon, but I don't know why they wouldn't work any thoughts/experiences, positive or negative?

Alan McCormick

Alan McCormick Plus

I was using a colleagues XF100 yesterday on a shoot and they had Duracell CF cards running in tandem. We went through 4 cards and they kept stopping and saying the card needed reformatting.

I use SanDisk 60MB/s with my XF300 and have never seen that problem so I suspect it may be the Duracell cards but cannot say for certain without further tests.

Erick Perdomo

Erick Perdomo

I tried the Transcend UDMA Compact Flash Cards -32 GB (400x - 90MB/s read - 60 MB/s write) and they stopped 5 times while recording clips longer than 5min and 15secs approx. The message " Recover data?" or something like that appeared on the LCD!! I sure got scared but luckily for me I had a Canon XHA1s videotaping simultaneously! thank God for tape! I checked the footage and only a few seconds were lost!
I can still use them for clips shorter then 5:15 and timelapse etc works fine..
I will buy a couple of Extreme cards asap!

Artistic Eye Productions

Artistic Eye Productions Plus

I bought four Transcend UDMA CF - 32 GB 400x cards and they worked fine. I bought four more a few months later and all four of the new cards stopped recording around ten minutes. Plan to switch to the Transcend 600x and stay away from the 400x.

IBB Video Productions

IBB Video Productions Plus

I use the Sandisk 32 GB 60MB/s. In the camera I never had issues, but during copying the footage to the PC two times the card crashed :-(
At the first time the card could not be reactivated at all. I had to exchange it with a new one.
Currently (the second time) I have to send it to a professional data recovery company because I had an important shooting during an event which I can't repeat recording :-(
I tired the whole weekend to recover the data by my own - without success.
Well, first I didn't understand the option to record on two CFs in parallel, now I do...

Claudio Almeida

Claudio Almeida

Hello! I had this problem with a 32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro and now with a Transcend 16GB 400x. In the camera it worked fine but when tried to download in the mac it didn't work... Did it happened again with any other card?

IBB Video Productions

IBB Video Productions Plus

After these painful events I handle my cards now like raw eggs. I only copy the video data from the cards and run the initialization by the camera. I don't look for free space on the cards or do other operations on the cards.

Snowblindfilm

Snowblindfilm Plus

Have anyone used new Delkin 500x CF cards with XF cameras?

Alan Hendry

Alan Hendry

Just bought 2 x Kingston 32gb 600X cf cards, NOT COMPATIBLE Canon XF 100 so be warned guys

Stephen Canty

Stephen Canty

Catalin,

The x46 series cards don't seem to work in the XF100. I have three 32g Sandisk x46 cards and none of them work properly. The camera seems to create an 8gb partition and only recognizes that 8gb of space. So they will only give you 20 minutes of recording time at 50mbs. If you look at the list of approved cards for the XF100 the x46 series isn't listed as approved. I have to return the three cards and will be purchasing the Sandisk A61 series cards

Mark Basse

Mark Basse Plus

I know this thread is 3 years running, but I just wanted to add that I had similar trouble with Duracell CF cards (800x UDMA or something like that) where both cards stumbled at around 5 minutes. Went out and got Lexar Professional 1000K 32GB cards and it worked fine for it's total storage capacity (88 minutes or so).

The box also has 150mb/s on the bottom and a small 'clapper board' icon with a '20' on it, for what that's worth.

New to CF cards and Canon XF 105, and wanted to save someone some aggravation.

Tim Stannard

Tim Stannard

So, in May 2014, exactly what 32GB cards, currently available are people using with success? All those on the Canon list appear to have been superseded and from reading the above not necessarily with compatible cards. What do the good folk here use/recommend (XF100 coming next week)

Kim Walker

Kim Walker

I used a Delkin CF 700X 67mbs shooting a wedding on my Canon XF 300. It was the first time I needed to shoot long takes. At 5:16 my camera stopped recording & I got the error message to recover footage. I tried to look calm, but I was FREAKING OUT inside! I was shooting with just one camera, so I'm SCREWED! I miss tape....

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.

This is a Vimeo Group. Groups allow you to create mini communities around the things you like. Check out other interesting groups. Groups