Canon XF Video

Adding PAL settings to XF-100

yaron keinan

yaron keinan

Wondered if anyone on the forum added the PAL settings to NTSC XF-100 model. The PAL version costs $800 more than the NTSC one. Figured that it will be more economic to get the NTSC and send it to Canon for PAL settings addition ($500). Would appreciated your comments.

Brian C. Weed

Brian C. Weed

Interesting - who is your dealer? Sounds like the Canon world-cam firmware upgrade would be your most economical choice. How often do you need to switch between PAL & NTSC?

yaron keinan

yaron keinan

Considered getting it at B&H (once they have it back in stock). I mainly need PAL settings.

Brian C. Weed

Brian C. Weed

Are you US or overseas based? Will buying in US have warranty ramifications for you? If not, and you don't need to start using the camera right away, get the NTSC version and upgrade the firmware. It may take a week or so if you have to ship your camera, but it will give you a higher resale value when you eventually decide to sell. I'd say go for it. If I ever needed PAL, I wouldn't hesitate for the upgrade.

yaron keinan

yaron keinan

Thanks brian, and sorry for the slow response. The warrany is not an issue since I am traveling worldwide and will be able to take advantage of the US warranty. Does Canon also offer the option on doing the firmware upgrade on the spot if you arrive to one of their lab locations? Thanks

Matthew ford

Matthew ford

Yes, give them notice though. Takes 15 mins

Matthew ford

Matthew ford

But if you do time lapse, do it in NTSC, PAL is crap!

Alan McCormick

Alan McCormick Plus

Interesting, I did a moon time interval test the other night and thought it was not as smooth as expected.

Matthew ford

Matthew ford

NTSC let you take 1 frame instead of 2.

Al Bergstein

Al Bergstein Plus

The moon moves much faster than we think. 2 second time lapse doesn't capture it I've found.

David Mercer

David Mercer

If anyone's still looking at this thread, where do you need to ship your camera for worldcam upgrade? Matthew, you said it takes 15 minutes. So how long do they actually have the camera for?

Matthew ford

Matthew ford

Depends.. If you arrange with the service centre then it can be done while you are having lunch. I find they can be accommodating with these quick software uploads. They just drop in a SD card to add the specified region. Where will you have this done do you think?

Matthew ford

Matthew ford

How long have you had the camera David?

David Mercer

David Mercer

Don't have it ... yet. I'll be back in Canada in July and thought of picking one up then, but need to be able to shoot 50i for one of my clients.

Received a very odd reply from Canon Canada re: upgrade to which I've sought clarification.

Still not sure this is the right cam for me as I've been enjoying some of the creative advantages of my GH2 ... but separate sound recording, lack of pro functions, and quickly moving subjects/stories make me pine for the XF100.

Decisions decisions ...

Matthew ford

Matthew ford

Adding NTSC to my Xf305 was about 400 euros.. Only the engineers seam to know about doing this, took me ages to speak to someone who even said it was possible.. XF100 makes a great B cam to the 305, we use it for strapping to cars and stedicam work. It also helps in tricky situations when you want to keep a low profile. Most of the time I can only tell the difference because of the extra reach of the 305..

David Mercer

David Mercer

Cheers Matthew. Appreciate the feedback.

yaron keinan

yaron keinan

Many of the new camcorders are coming with both PAL and NTSC settings. I think it's a rip off to charge $500 dollars to add both settings. After all, its just a firmware update that takes few minutes. I think that Canon should offer the PAL/NTSC firmware update for self installation, and charge a symbolic fee for it.

Alwyn Hartman

Alwyn Hartman

It appears, from my research, that the XF10x can infact NOT be upgraded to hold both NTSC and PAL modes. This info comes directly from the Canon service centre in Japan.
I do however find it curious that the guy from the BBC tested the XF10x with both NTSC and PAL installed. Its prob cuz it was a "pre-production" model or something.
Maybe theres some hackers/crackers out there who would want to write a piece of "super custom" firmware code to solve exactly this issue?

yaron keinan

yaron keinan

somehow Canon allows a lot of confusion regarding this issue. I contacted Canon in the US and they provide the service of firmware upgrade that adds both PAL and NTSC settings. I really think that is will cause them to be less attractive for videographers who travel worldwide and don't like to spent the extra time and money for the upgrade (one have to send it to Canon service center for the upgrade). Other camera makers provide it for free !!!!

Irit Sharvit

Irit Sharvit

Hi Yaron, did you finally add the PAL settings to NTSC XF-100?
do you know if they have this service in Israel?

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.

This is a Vimeo Group. Groups allow you to create mini communities around the things you like. Check out other interesting groups. Groups