Canon XF Video

XF100 controls issue?

Alwyn Hartman

Alwyn Hartman

If I set the manual ring switch on the front of the camera, behind the manual ring to "IRIS(ND)" the camera does not respond as expected. Instead, it appears to remain on the middle setting "ZOOM". The switch has a positive click when sliding it to the "IRIS(ND)" setting and appears to be fully engaged. However, when I turn the manual ring to set exposure, the camera just zooms.
IS this normal or is there something wrong, maybe a setting I missed? I have tried to reset the camera via the menus and the "RESET" button to no avail. Its brand new, I just bought it from B&H in the states.
Any help?

Snowblindfilm

Snowblindfilm Plus

There is a button for switching between zoom, iris and focus near the front on left hand side of the camera. I bet it is switched to zoom position. I use zoom rockers, use the dial under the lens barrel for iris and use lens ring for the focus. I am sre there is nothing wron g withh camera, just read manual carefully, it's all there.

Alwyn Hartman

Alwyn Hartman

No Robert, Im not a moron. If you actually read my post without just commenting youll see that I explicitly mention that the switch engages all the way over to the final position.
Again, I have read the manual and know what to expect from the camera.

Either way, it doesnt matter. Canon service says the issue is indeed not normal and that the camera should be sent for repair. However, after a 3 day session in the Hokkaido mountains at -18'C the issue seems to have left this world. The camera functions normally now but I will keep an eye out when spring comes. Maybe the cold had something to do with it.

Robert John

Robert John

Alwyn,
I don't think Robert was calling you a moron. I think he was just trying to help you.

Alwyn Hartman

Alwyn Hartman

RJ, I dont for a moment refute that but how can you help someone if you clearly didnt even read the issue! Its like asking, "Oh, where can I buy a coke" and then getting the answer "The lift pass tickets are sold over there".

Fabrice Hoss

Fabrice Hoss

Hello,

Still in love with my xf100 (I followed Robert's path, switching from JVC gy-hm 100 to xf 100...) but I noticed a scary change during my last report, in Florida. Although I was operating in manual mode (focus, shutter, Iris), the iris value (following the letter F, not AF) was changing when I was zooming in or out... Have you heard about such a problem? What should I do? Thanks for your advice,
Best Regards,

Fabrice Hoss

Alwyn Hartman

Alwyn Hartman

Its not a problem Fabrice. Its the resultant iris F-stop value that changes as you zoom. It relates to the light gathering capability of the camera at a specific setting of zoom and iris.
Sometimes, even if the iris is fully open, the f-value will become higher, thus indicating less light coming in on the sensor, as you zoom in on a subject.
Not to worry, your camera is working fine.

alexfpower

alexfpower Plus

Guys, quick question - I can't seem to set the shutter manually. The custom dial button only allows me to use the dial to change iris, not gain or Shutter, even when in manual mode.

In the menu, I am able to change shutter 'Mode' (i.e., what kind of shutter readout) I want, rather than the value, such as 1/50, 1/125, etc.

It's driving me NUTS!

Thanks guys.

jigbobby

jigbobby

Axa, you need to go into the menu "cameras setup > shutter" and select "speed". Then when you put the camera into manual and press the shutter button the shutter speed will highlight in orange on the screen and you can change it using the joystick.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.

This is a Vimeo Group. Groups allow you to create mini communities around the things you like. Check out other interesting groups. Groups