EOS550D/T2i

New at color correction

Shane Wise

Shane Wise

Hey guys. Just started filming, i'm new to it and still don't understand a lot of things.

My latest video is vimeo.com/35619139 It's just a short clip, if there is anything you would change or any advice I would be much appreciated :)

Rafael Ortiz

Rafael Ortiz

Looks good, practice makes perfect. I've started not too long ago also, but all my vids are on my Youtube channel.

What video editing software are you currently using? And what was your camera settings you used for that video? And render settings? Video seems a tad out of focus/blurry and some grain/noise. But no biggie, can be easily improved upon. But nonetheless your picking it up very quickly with filming as a beginner.

Color correction takes a lot of patience that's for sure. I still have a lot to learn and experiment with it. But I've been using custom picture styles and color correction presets. Having those allow you to get an idea of how to work with color correcting. When you want to do your own style of color corrections.

Shane Wise

Shane Wise

Thanks Rafael. I use Premiere Pro CS4, the settings I used for that clip I was unsure probably why it's so grainy. Now I use 1/50th 5.6 and shoot at 720p using the kit lens that cam with the T2i, for rending settings I use the H.264 codec, video at 5000kbps, and sound at 256kbps with AAC codec

waterloo

waterloo

What's your ISO settings? The larger ISO settings the more noise it can get. Based on my personal experience, I used to shoot in 720p, ISO of 1600 or 3200 at low light and it's quite grainy. I recommend you shoot in 1080p and use 100-800 ISO.

Rafael Ortiz

Rafael Ortiz

Your welcome, the next lens you should invest in is the 50 1.8mm. You can easily find them for ~$100 or less. The quality of your video will be like night and day difference. Any reason your not shooting in 24p? Unfortunately I'm not familiar with PP when it comes to render settings, but I do know it in After effects and Sony Vegas Pro. Try rendering it under QuickTime video if it has it, for after effects that for me produces the best HD quality video.

Shane Wise

Shane Wise

Thanks for the tips. I thought 720p was best because not many people have 1080p monitors. I shoot at no more then 3200 iso, but I adjust it depending on the light around me

Rafael Ortiz

Rafael Ortiz

I usually film in 720p when doing shots that involve slow motion in post processing. Or if I'm filming action shots because it minimizes motion blur. And with 24p you get motion blur . Even if your monitor is just SD, filming in 1080p-24p is still doable. Try filming in 24fps as well and you'll notice a difference in 720fps and 24fps. I do my best stay at 1600 iso or under, especially with out camera's it's not that great in low light performance. If I feel like I need to bump up the ISO, I would then think about adding exterior lighting setups to aiding my shots, so that I can minimize grain/noise due to high ISO. You should also research Magic Lantern, it's a great hack/firmware for our cameras.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.

This is a Vimeo Group. Groups allow you to create mini communities around the things you like. Check out other interesting groups. Groups