Canon EOS 7D

550D or 7D?

Tsering

Tsering

hey guys

i'm gona buy a new camera in easter. was struggling choosing between 7d and 5d mk ii, and finally decided to go with 7d. BUT, saw the news and previews of to-be -released 550d today. seems 550d is a cheaper version of 7d, or is it not?

Please help me out with some pro ideas. Thanks a lot!!!

btw, shooting films is my main purpose.

Josh Ratliff

Josh Ratliff Plus

I can only tell you that my 7D is a great joy to use. I have have never regretted my purchase. You will love it.

Benjamín Hernández

Benjamín Hernández

I have recently purchased the 7D, though im new to dslr cameras and cant quite give you the specification comparing the 550D and 7D. I can tell you that when i was deciding what dSLR camera to buy, i had previously been looking at the GH1 and the 5D. I went with 7D, even though the GH1 is about ~$1000 US dollars less and the 5D is about ~$1000 more I went for the mid range. Even now with the 550D being released, i would still go for the 7D being the next best thing. If i may say (you get what you pay for).

Im glad to say im enjoying the 7D very much.

Jurgen

Jurgen

There is no competition. The 7D is built like a tank and you can take it anywhere. It has a dual processor with more power than the 550D. The spec sheet doesn't compare. From a creative point of view it's a much more versatile and adaptable camera than the 550D and that's what you are paying for. When I first picked up the 7D in the shop I instantly knew I was buying a Mercedes, without even looking at the high quality pictures it could take.
Compared to the 7D the 550D looks more like small family saloon that gets you from A to B. Although it has the same pixel count as the 7D and its video now has a usable frame rate, I wouldn't swap it for my 7D.

Jonathan Fantucchio

Jonathan Fantucchio

At this point it is all speculation.
We don't know if the video performance will be as good as the 7d. If my thoughts are correct, then the 550d will have the same exact video features and quality as the 7D. If this is the case then it is better to get a 550d and spend the remaining money on a 1st class prime lens with a tight/long pull, or a second camera. For stills the 7d will beat the 550d to death, but for me that's overkill. My old 8mp 30d in some cases takes way better pictures than my 7d.
So if the video is equal and your not hiking in the jungle or exploring the frozen tundra then either two 550d's, or one 550d with rig/lens is the ideal choice from the indie filmaking perspective. Also the rebels though they may be plastic are not exactly crap. They can take a licking. I know this from experience.
So selling my 7d and filling out my collection of Nikor primes would be a great option,if the video is as good(I think it will be)

Tsering

Tsering

anyone reckon the release of 550D would cause price drop of 7D?

Topeka Design

Topeka Design Plus

I doubt it it will cause any price drop for the 7D... The release of the 7D did nothing to the price of the 5DMK2.

In the end, if you use it properly, I think you can get just as good of video out of the 550D as the 7D, but you're gonna have to be more careful with it as it's not as weather resistant and the plastic body will be easily damaged.

Tsering

Tsering

when will the price drop then? any idea?

Ryan Corboy

Ryan Corboy

Will they actually ever release an 8D?

Jonathan Fantucchio

Jonathan Fantucchio

First the 7d was not made to shoot video. It is a DSLR with film tacked on as an extra. There will most likely be no price drop because features wise as a still camera the 7d is in a class of it's own.

Second the Rebels body will not be to easily damaged if past rebels are anything to go by. Yes they are plastic but they can be beat to shit and still last until the next one comes around 2-3 years. Canon basically updates there models every 2-3 years. The 5d may get updated sooner due to the 7D's feature set(thats also speculation).

At this point canon has the wiggle room to start an entirely new DSLR line without doing any new innovations, and people will still buy bucket loads of them.

I still say get the 550d unless you go on world adventures climbing mountains and shit. Canon will just ignore the cinema people who ask for simple shit on there DSLRs like shutting of the AGC, until the competition comes out with something better. Only Panasonic can do it in my opinion, and I hope they do. Canon needs some competition to push things further.

Nevervoid

Nevervoid

Awesome! Nailed it down so darn right!

Thanks, Jonathan!

Tsering

Tsering

"I still say get the 550d unless you go on world adventures climbing mountains and shit. "
that is exactly what i will be doing in 5 month time. thanks

rastAsia

rastAsia Plus

Jonathan dude, just wanna say thanks, your comments here really helped me decide on my next purchase. I'm not climbing mountains, thus a 550, but I do love some red bands on my future glass, which price diff fm having a 7 goes to L lens. Big props for honest review/judgement!

Mike L

Mike L

It doesn't matter what you get cause it wil be outdated within the year. At this point all options out there will suffice for an indie film - the 550D is better than all of Canon's video line! So what really matters is just to get out there and shoot your film (and keep it on budget)!

Evil Flip

Evil Flip

I haven't seen or used the 550D but from looking at the preview it looks a lot less easy to use, not to mention that even though the video mode might be the same, it probably has a lot less ease with low light situations. but what the hell do I know

Flipside Productions

Flipside Productions Plus

I have a 550d and have used it to shoot in low light, it really depends on what lens you are shooting with. video wise its as good if not better than the 7D (also have). I have video's shot with a 550D that have been aired on sky. The quality the 550D produces is unreal.

GioSer

GioSer

I mainly use the 7D for it for still and video, then think it is valid choice for me, but if you only are going to use it for video, think that the 550 should be a valid and cheap option.

We will have to see performance. I was not happy when I had my 500D for video.

Jonathan Fantucchio

Jonathan Fantucchio

Roommate just got a 550d. Initial test look pretty much equal to to my 7d. It's a light and tiny rebel that shoots great video. I'm stunned this little thing cost $800....Just skip the kit lens or sell it right away. And it looks like canon is forging ahead with this whole HDSLR thing with the 5d firmware update...

Dominic DiMaria

Dominic DiMaria Plus

I have a 7D and my brother just got a 550D/T2i. Regarding the photo features, the 7D just blows the 550D/T2i out of the water. The video features are very similar, however the 7D has dual Digic 4 processors which greatly reduces noise when shooting high ISO. The 550D/T2i only has one processor, so video noise in low light is a much bigger issue. Also, the ISO range on the 7D is much better than on the 550D/T2i.

The build of the two cameras is also much different. The 7D has a very rugged Magnesium Alloy frame, while the 550D/T2i is just plastic.

Here is a video I shot on my 7D - vimeo.com/9884533

And a video my brother shot on his 550D/T2i - vimeo.com/9898532

As you can see, the video quality is very similar. But if you're going for a professional look you will have to add weight to the 550D/T2i. The 7D is pretty heavy as it is, so adding weight isn't that much of an issue. Also, the 7D kit lens is actually a full-frame lens, so if you were to upgrade to a 5D MkII or another full-frame Canon body, you would be able to use that kit lens to its full capacity.

All in all, I think both cameras are great. Ultimately it comes down to what you want to spend and how you plan on using it.

Hope that helps!

Tsering

Tsering

Thanks very much. got my 7D yesterday. not sure about the kit lens being full frame though. mine is 15-85mm.

Dominic DiMaria

Dominic DiMaria Plus

Oh, really? My kit lens is 28-135. I used to just use a Nikon camera, so when I got my 7D I did some research on how to distinguish the lenses. Based on the info I got from Wikipedia, you can tell if it's full frame or not by looking at the base of the lens where it mounts to the camera. If it has a red dot indicator, it is an EF (full frame) lens. If it has a white square, it is an EF-S (non full frame) lens.

Tsering

Tsering

thought only L range lenses could fit 5d. well, anyway. im happy with the camera:)

Dominic DiMaria

Dominic DiMaria Plus

You might be right. I'm fairly new to Canon's system...

Cool, have fun with your 7D!

James Rodger

James Rodger

The 7D mounts both full frame and crop sensor lenses. I'm not sure about the 28-135, but I have a 18-135 lens (Kit lens) that is crop mount only.

But yeah, buy lenses for the full frame mount, mainly because they are better lenses anyway. I'd advise to limit your purchasing of zoom lenses.

Prime's are pricy, but you can't beat the quality of the glass or the low aperture, plus it will make you a better filmmaker (Zooms make you lazy).

L series lenses are for those who can easily spend several thousand dollars at a time. Don't get me wrong, they are AMAZING, but for the average indy filmmaker, they are way too expensive to be practical.

Sam Salek

Sam Salek

550d will answer all your needs! it's a budget based decision; if you have no problem spending the extra money then get 7d why not! but 550d is really an excellent camera and unless you want something specific from 7d - 550d will rock your world!

edited: ooops! since you got your 7d - it's a good choice anyway, enjoy!

corey hicks

corey hicks

I just bought 7d and i cant wait for it to come in... A friend advised me to get 7d because it is built to last and is a cut above 500d. i will post when it comes in.

Gumzster

Gumzster

Dominic DiMaria wrote:
"I have a 7D and my brother just got a 550D/T2i. Regarding the photo features, the 7D just blows the 550D/T2i out of the water. The video features are very similar, however the 7D has dual Digic 4 processors which greatly reduces noise when shooting high ISO. The 550D/T2i only has one processor, so video noise in low light is a much bigger issue. Also, the ISO range on the 7D is much better than on the 550D/T2i."

Just wanted to add that this is completely wrong. The only thing that extra processor gets you, is a much higher burst rate. The image quality (as noted in countless reviews) and noise is the exact same no matter what ISO you are using.

John Shupe

John Shupe

My people, I just purchased a T2i, & it's a beautiful thing. Anyhow, speaking of the 7D, peep this: vimeo.com/8727179 a short, short film. "The Board Meeting." Shot with the 7D. Check out Point.Click.Shoot on Vimeo folks. I'd 'preciate it. :)

Lazare

Lazare

I have the pleasure of owning both. Actually going to sell the 7D. I use the DSLR purely for video work and honestly, save the money from the 7D and spend it on external sound solutions and lenses for the 550D. The video from the 550D in my opinion is pretty much the same. If the primary use is video why pay £800 more. Build quality is rock solid.

Ryan Herring

Ryan Herring

good points. I went for the 7d for a couple of reasons-1. the weatherproofing. I'm going to be filming in a lot of snow/rain/dust conditions and a professionally sealed camera is a dream come true,especially after using fragile prosumer HD cameras-2. the 7d is a top of the line stills camera and having the full feature set of this camera has inspired me to learn still photography, a skillset I think will expand my horizons as a filmaker. In my mind that's worth $800

Matt Zeher

Matt Zeher

I used a 7D a few months ago, and have owned a T2i/550D for about a week now. Have done still photos and videos with both cameras.

Like others have said, if you're looking primarily for an incredibly priced HD video cam, then either one is the way to go. IMO, quality is identical between the two. For video purposes, there is no meaningful difference between the two. So if you're looking for just the video camera, then go T2i, no contest.

As far as photo quality goes, I haven't noticed much of a difference there either, but I'm also not using this camera like a professional photographer. Get a 5D mk. II if that's your gig. While the 7D's top LCD screen is nice, I found that changing manual exposure settings isn't much quicker on there than it is using the main LCD screen on the T2i.

7D has weatherproofing, which to me sounds good on paper, but in practicality doesn't seem worth it for what I do. I don't plan on hiking around in the desert or jungle, at least not in the foreseeable future. The T2i is lighter, which I actually prefer. Having it hang around your neck isn't as much of a chore as the 7D, and the weight doesn't cause it to bounce around as much.

T2i uses SDHC memory, and SDXC whenever it comes out. Being the unreliable nature of all flash memory regardless of format, buying more smaller-capacity (8gb) flash cards is a much safer alternative than splurging on a 16-or-32gb CF card for a 7D.

The kit lens: This is more of a non-issue, but I prefer the 18-55mm IS lens better than the 28-135mm IS USM. 28-135 is just an odd range for most of the stuff I do. It's not wide enough for wide, but not long enough for long either. At least with the 18-55 IS I get something moderately wide, and it's cheap sibling the 55-250mm IS will fill out the focal range nicely if I decide to get it.

The bottom line: IMO, the 7D would be worth it if it were priced in the $1200-$1300 range. At it's current price tag though, it's not worth it for people like me: recently graduated film student using camera primarily for independent cinema/videography and personal use. The money I've saved has/will allow me to invest in extra batteries, memory cards, lenses, mic, and other accessories.

In the 7D's defense, I can see it being a camera much better suited for the uber cinematographer. If you've got the cash to build a rig with steadicam, follow focus, viewfinder, etc..., then you might as well go for the 7D or 5DmkII, since it is heftier and more rugged. But if you don't have that kind of fluid cash, then the T2i more than makes up for it's construction.

Believe me, I want to love the 7D a lot, but when it comes down to it, I just haven't noticed enough of a difference.

Wyatt Krutsch

Wyatt Krutsch

Basically, the trend here seems to be that if one is looking just to shoot HD video, then the 550d t2i is the way to go?

John Patrick Koosman

John Patrick Koosman

I was about to purchase the 7D but after reading all the different reviews I'm going for the 550D/T2i as well. I will be shooting stills as well but video is the main reason for going for one of the Canon DSLR's. So for me, the 550D is the way to go. It will save me a lot of bucks that I can use for a lens, an audio-capturing device, a stabilizer or any other accessory that one might need in order to get the best out of it.

But that's my personal view on it.

Alan Maughan

Alan Maughan Plus

Wow, I was all ready to buy a 7D until I found this thread. I need HD video and already have a 30D so thought that I could combine both jobs into a 7D. Do you guys think the T2i will shoot stills as good as my older 30D?

HDProFilms

HDProFilms Plus

They are both great cameras. I will buy the T2i in the future but I'm glad i got the 7D first. This was my first DSLR, as I am primarily a video guy, and the ease of use made it a joy to learn.

If you're trying to justify the extra money for the 7D, it pays for itself in name recognition and perception. When you're bidding a job the clients know RED, XDCAM, P2, 5D mkII, & 7D. I don't want to explain, "This camera has the same spec, it's just smaller and i saved $800." However it would be a pleasure to set up the T2i as Cam B.

Two of my most recent jobs came to me just because I was seen shooting with this professional body.

These may seem like insignificant points but I would factor them into your equation while shopping.

Matt Zeher

Matt Zeher

Great points. The 7D does look a lot more professional when you shoot with it. Whereas the T2i looks incredibly like a consumer camera, and some people may not take you seriously.

So +1 for 7D despite the post I made a little while ago.

Copenhagen

Copenhagen

550D with a prime and a batterygrip is still less than the 7D.
If you want to step up then its a 5D MK2

I have 550D and the 7D and there is no diff. in video or in pic. quality.

Amila C. Kumarasinghe

Amila C. Kumarasinghe

Hello guys, i watched the thread. its great. I'm a video guy worked with Sony EX3, EX1. so i think now its time to take my own camera for videography. So i have little questions. hope u guys help me to resolve them.

Actually i never used any DSLR camera for still or video purposes. so now i gna buy a cam. my budget is under $1000. So i wanna know what is the best Camera for me to record Full HD. my needs and wants are recording brilliant colorful cinematic shots, Slow motions, record in best in low light situations . . .etc.

1. what is the best cam for me? 7D or 550D? or other camcorder . . . ?

2. What is the differences on Canon 550D and Rebel T2i?

3. How is the recording limit for each take on 7D, 550.T2i ?

4. How is the image stabilization system on these dslr cameras?

Hope u guys help me to resolve my problems and u guys help me to chose better camera for me . . .

(my main need to get a cam for brilliant colorful cinematic shots, Slow motions, record in best in low light situations . . .etc)

Help me . . .

Haakon Kirkemo

Haakon Kirkemo

Hi everybody!

I´m working on my first serious Canon T2i test edit. Since I´m stuck in Oslo I figured that why not make a movie that shows what I feel about the city. I will continue updating the video when I´m happy with the outcome, so check back once in a while. And please leave a comment, either here or on vimeo!

vimeo.com/14570639

Cheers,

Haakon Kirkemo

Martin Raanhuis

Martin Raanhuis

I just got my 7D a month ago, I was having doubts aswell between a 7D and a 60D, because I mostly do video work I thought a 60D was a great choice, but a 60D or a 550D for that matter aren't in the same class as the 7D which is semi-pro.

I got my advice from my photography teacher and another semi-pro 5D mk. II photographer who just happens to be my client haha.
But researching the matter really helps out at lot, but the thing which helped me the most is the following:

"You will regret saving the extra cash now later on".
And I am so happy I picked up on that and got the 7D, I absolutly love this thing.

phyd creative

phyd creative Plus

Hey Guys,

Im just about to purchase a 550D after much research... but the next part is figuring out what lense...?!

Do you have any advice or great articles where i could find out more about what i would need??

Thanks

panashe

panashe

hello ppl. i wonder if you can help. im not very good on the technical side of camera but need some advice. i am looking to purchase a camera either the 7d or 550d. used mainly for hd video recording. for like mini videos to promote my music career. does any know if the 550d would be suitable enough for this type of thing.

thank you

Jonathan Crider

Jonathan Crider

550 will suit you fine in most settings.

7d is tougher body, better construction, and faster image processing. also there is a dedicated button for video on the 7d. you'll have to dig around a bit in menus to find the feature on the 550.

but. if it's not your main gig, save a few dollars and get the 550.

however. i have a 7d and wouldn't trade it for anything.

panashe

panashe

thank you so much mate.. really appreciate it

Filippo Marchetti

Filippo Marchetti Plus

Guys, i really think that also the ECONOMIC FACTOR should be considered.
I'm a 18 years old student, and i have a really strong passion in filmaking, and a great enterest in photography(But not as much as in filmaking)
I would have liked to have the money for a 7D, but as i sayd i'm still a student, not a worker.(On september 2011 i'll start my filmaking studies)
So i just purchased the 550D, and i had to save money for years in order to buy this little jewel.
Yes, it's not the 7D, but it's FANTASTIC to shoot videos, and very good for photografy.
I would just say that the 7D is for professionals, and the 550D for guys that are going to be professional soon.
Very soon i'll post my first videos with this beauty.

Martin Raanhuis

Martin Raanhuis

Haha I'm 18 too man, just wanted to know if you live in the Netherlands because I am looking for a good video/audio school for next year.

And I concidered the 550D aswell but got the 7D instead, I am LOVING this thing.

Kevin Dayrit|knive.dytria

Kevin Dayrit|knive.dytria

I'd break a P2 camera for a 7D. Or 5D. 550D is good if you're on a budget. But you definitely need the extra ruggedness of the 7D. If you're gonna use it mainly for video, you'll break the 550 in no time. But video image quality wise, 550D can square of with the 7D fairly.

Anderson William

Anderson William

Been shooting with these cameras for the past year and have been in the film business for the past 14 years. I currently own a 7D and a 60D, recently shot on the 550D. 7D definitely has the build quality and pro feel. The thing is...it is all about the glass! Get the best lens you can. I have several L series and there is nothing like them. But if you can't spend a whole lot than the 50mm 1.4 is a must have at around $350, if you have an extra grand get the 1.2 L series. Oh, and learn how to make films, that helps too, lol.

Marija Popovic

Marija Popovic

my friend want to bye 550 this moment.thanks for all the comments.big up from Belgrade :)

Peter Andersen

Peter Andersen

Take a look at this shortfilm shot on 7D in very low light - we only used natural lightning: street lamps, car lights and so on... and some very nice camera lenses wich I don't recall the name of. Enjoy.

youtube.com/watch?v=Rp9mXXrIKss

The Sketch Bank

The Sketch Bank

Hi everyone,

I'm loving reading all the posts on this debate. It's helping me decide myself.

By the looks of it, if you're starting off/ and are new to the world of photography/ film-making, then go for the 550d... if you're above beginner level, the 7D will suit you better. Professionals/ semi-pro's will love the 7D, especially those who have a business and are freelancing in that field. Whereas, newcomers to this world and people who do it as a hobby or for personal/ educational projects will find just as much happiness from the 550d.

The resolving issue mostly comes down to price, just go for what you can afford (including accessories!) This youtube comparison video should help you decide:

youtube.com/watch?v=OYif6YYVlAw

Also: digitalrev.com might have some useful information... Good luck y'all!

Corey Sim

Corey Sim

I just recently purchased the 550dD and love it. I have used all the top Canon's from the 7D, to the 5D and to the 60D. I have noticed when it comes to filmmaking they all deliverer the same result. They all shoot progressive 24p,30p and 60p. Actually the 550D has a 7D processor from what I was told. All the Canon's are great cameras and I'm happy with mine. It's just prices. That's really what it comes down to. But just because a camera is cheaper does not mean it lacks quality. When it also comes to cinematography it's whose behind the camera not the camera itself.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.

This is a Vimeo Group. Groups allow you to create mini communities around the things you like. Check out other interesting groups. Groups