Canon EOS 7D

PC equivalent to Apple ProRes 422 LT?

Jared McComb

Jared McComb

I have been scouring the internet from front to back and have yet to find anything useful, and by useful I mean not someone telling me to use Apple ProRes 422, out there about what format I should uncompress my videos before editing on a PC. I am running CS5. Am I the only person out there who does not use apple products?

Jared McComb

Jared McComb

Thanks Ryan! That is a huge relief, not to mention time saver!

Adrian Lu

Adrian Lu

I'm working on a project within Premiere CS5, using plugins like twixtor pro and colorista. I run a quad core, windows 7, 4 gigs of ram and I'm finding that it chugs and lags when scrubbing. Would uncompressing using DNxHD and MPEG Streamclip help in this case?

Ryan Hargrave

Ryan Hargrave

Probably graphics card related. CS5 and Colorista both use the GPU to render the timeline so while lots of RAM does help overall performance a lot of the newer editors and plugins are offloading the rendering to the GPU

I'm not sure that pre-transcoding would really help. But maybe. So many other factors including external/internal drive, drive speed, if external what connection are you using...

Sara Esteves

Sara Esteves

i am editing with final cut in apple prores, but the person helping me with some effects is working on a pc.
i sent him some files in apple prores, for him to work within adobe after effects.
But now, as his work is over, he tells me he can't export in apple prores and that he will be sending me the files in Quicktime MPG4, because it's the one that converts the better.
As the final output will be in apple prores, should i ask him to export them in another output conversion? Which would be the better? In animation?
Please help. Thanks.

Jay Zed

Jay Zed

A bit late, but what I've been doing is using, Cineform for files that need to move between mac and pc. It's not free, but there's a 15 day ( I think) trial that would be fine for a single project. It does everything prores does - up-converts- does some voodoo with subsampled chroma if your assets are 4:2:0. Unless you are doing 3D, the Cineform Studio Premium (Pro does the 3D) is the one, costs a few hundred. The video looks great and is easy on the cpu for editing. Or alternatively (and searching for info on this topic is why I ended up here), 5D2RGB appears to allow encoding into pro-res on Windows. I downloaded it about 6 months ago and I don't remember this feature, but I read about it somewhere else and couldn't believe it but it appears to be true. I've just done the one file but Quicktime Player (yah boo sucks but whaddayagunnado?) reports the file is indeed prores 422 and plays fine. I'm about to drop the file into premiere and after effects to see where the gotchas are.

Jay Zed

Jay Zed

Oh, one more thing. I really love the active metadata with cineform. You can colour correct/grade your files and the changes are stored as metadata, no changes to the actual video data. This means no extra render as the changes are rendered live into the file. Amazing. You can only do the grading in the cineform software but the files play back with the changes everywhere. Brilliant. There's a switch to allow a small waveform, histogram, vectorscope etc to be overlayed whenever the files are played. In fact, this is the way you have to measure your changes in the cineform software but what I really love is adding a burn-in telling me info about the file, including comments. When editing and conforming is finished, I turn off the metadata. And none of this seems to slow down my computer, not that I notice.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.

This is a Vimeo Group. Groups allow you to create mini communities around the things you like. Check out other interesting groups. Groups