Filmography & Editing Club

Single take editing techniques

B Unis

B Unis

For those who engage in single-take, single-camera shoots, I'm interesting in sharing in a dialogue. What do you find are your best techniques for covering mistakes or unavoidable awkward bits when what you are shooting allows for only a single take?

Such situations might include event coverage such a weddings, concerts involving amateur musicians (the one I run into myself most often).

Some ways I try to compensate: B roll footage spliced on top of bad zooms or other camera shifts; still (freeze frame) footage covering same sorts of gaps; strategic use of pan & scan or other cropping techniques to mask an awkward zoom or pan.

Olly Newport

Olly Newport

When I film live events I tend to take lots of close ups of certain things, e.g in this case musicians. Take a whole take, and just weave in the different close ups that try not to reveal that they were filmed prior to the main footage. I tend to get away with this when filming when covering bad shots/zooms.

Good question and will enjoy seeing other film-makers answers.

Video Production

Video Production

In a worst case, you can use a still image just to cover a jump cut - you may want to add a pan (Ken Burns) effect. At weddings, there are always some guests who a willing to share their still images

Don't forget about sound - always take some time to record ambient sounds - before or after the video shoot. I always voice over the start of the recording with "Sound Only" helps to remind me when editing that it has not been shot for the video content

Sandie Shapiro

Sandie Shapiro

Ditto on the B-roll and ambient sound. Sometimes I can shorten the longish delays in the action of the event to cover up bad panning (not my shooting). And, I "steal" ambient sound from pauses in speeches to cover up errant noises and clicks. That, and I pray to the editing gods that I can "fix it in post". For what I edit, stills won't work. But, if you can squeeze in a few when needed and make it look like it was planned, you're clients will think you're a genius!

CoasterGeek101

CoasterGeek101

Um, I am not sure what to say, I usual shoot video, not frame by frame if that is what ou are asking.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.

This is a Vimeo Group. Groups allow you to create mini communities around the things you like. Check out other interesting groups. Groups