Sony NEX-FS700 User Group

Official Press Release

H. Paul Moon

H. Paul Moon Plus

PARK RIDGE, N.J., April 2nd, 2012 – Sony is pushing the creative boundaries once more with the new NEX-FS700 Full-HD Super Slow Motion camcorder, the latest in Sony’s line-up of NXCAM interchangeable E-mount camcorders. The new Super 35mm model is designed for high-speed shooting and is capable of capturing footage at up to 960 frames per second. The camcorder also features a range of capabilities such as 3G HD-SDI output and built-in ND filters. Additionally, it also offers several creative options, shooting styles and enhanced ergonomics – all based on customer feedback – to deliver a flexible production tool that fits seamlessly into a variety of shooting applications.

“The NEX-FS700 opens the door to a new world of creative shooting,” said Bill Drummond, Strategic Marketing Manager, Sony Europe. “You can record beautiful high speed Full-HD movies with the freedom of choosing interchangeable lenses. The NEX-FS700, with its super slow motion mode, is ideal for pop promos, commercials and documentaries as well as sports and a variety of events productions.”

The camcorder delivers Full-HD quality images at 120 and 240 frames per second in an 8 or 16 seconds burst mode respectively. The NEX-FS700’s high sensitivity and low noise shooting capability makes super slow motion shooting more convenient without additional equipment. 480 fps and 960 fps rates at reduced resolution are available for faster frame rate recording.

The NEX-FS700 camcorder uses a new 4K “Exmor” Super 35 CMOS sensor (total 11.6 million pixels). This high-speed readout chip is optimised for motion picture shooting, giving high sensitivity, low noise and minimal aliasing.

The NXCAM’s E-Mount flexibility is designed to accept virtually all SLR and DSLR 35mm lenses, with the use of simple, inexpensive adapters without optical degradation. FS series owners can make use of their existing lenses and add more lenses without being forced on a brand or mount.

Users can capture high-quality still images with the NEX-FS700. The camcorder also includes face detection and auto focus to help ensure the subject is always kept in focus.

NEX-FS700 operators can take advantage of the camcorder’s built-in ND filters, with a newly designed wheel that rotates across the sensor like a turret. The wheel includes positions for Clear, 1/4 (2 Stop), 1/16 (4 Stop), and 1/64 (6 Stop).

The camcorder is 60/50Hz switchable to give people the freedom of working in any geographic region without being restricted to only PAL or NTSC recording.

The NEX-FS700’s 3GHD-SDI and HDMI connectors can output Full-HD 50p and 60p, in addition to standard HD 60i, 24p, 25p or 30p frame rates with embedded time code and audio. 3G HD-SDI can output native 23.98, 25, 29.97 progressive signals; users can choose to output PsF over the 3G HD-SDI. Thanks to flexibility of the digital ports virtually any external recorder can be connected.

Users can save up to 99 camcorder profile settings on a memory card and can copy the same setting to multiple units. Compatible media includes MS and SD memory cards and Sony’s HXR-FMU128 flash memory unit that attaches to the camcorder.

The NEX-FS700 features include a robust detachable top handle, secured by a pair of screws (a cold shoe, plus two sets of 1/4 and 3/8 inch holes) that allow heavy accessories to be mounted. The handle is attached with a rosette mount.

A key element of the handle is an “active grip” that features four buttons for commonly used functions – expanded focus, auto iris, still capture and Recording Start/Stop – so users can easily operate the camcorder while holding it. Function buttons are also enlarged to make operating easy, even while wearing gloves.

The camcorder’s enhanced durable design also includes anchor points for compatibility with third party accessories.

Sony is planning a future firmware upgrade that will enable the NEX-FS700 to output 4K bit-stream data over 3G HD-SDI when used with an optional Sony 4K recorder.

The NEX-FS700 is planned to be available in June 2012.

For product photos, visit: on.fb.me/fs700pics

Donald Falls

Donald Falls

This cam sound like a winner. Most of the features that was missing from VG20 and NEX FS100 is here in NEX FS700, what about the price?

Tinyviking

Tinyviking Plus

Rumored to be 8000$ .. Sony has officially said under 10k$ with the "kitlense" I think?

douglas villalba sr.

douglas villalba sr. Plus

I bet that after you buy everything you need to get 4k and the slowmo features it would cost more than a RED.

H. Paul Moon

H. Paul Moon Plus

Isn't it the total opposite? RED are notorious for price-gouging on accessories; it's well-established by now that a bare minimum Scarlet-X package goes north of $20k.

It's highly unlikely that Sony will charge for their promised firmware update to the NEX-FS700, enabling 4k capture. And I don't see how you would need to buy anything for exploiting the slow-motion capture that will already exist at launch.

Andreas Schmidt

Andreas Schmidt

I would absolutely not assume any cost regarding the firmware update. With this announcement from my perspective RED Scarlet is dead in the water as I stated already yesterday. 4K + the full res high fps modes at 8K with lens compared to at least 18K from RED. Once a external recorder like Atomos for less then 1K is added you get most probably very comparable results. Not to mention all the reliability issues on the RED that have been reported and all the other issues like battery life, post and so on.

douglas villalba sr.

douglas villalba sr. Plus

Exactly my point. By the time that they make a 4k recorder and it is out for sale you could have been making money with a RED.

Colin Mendez Morris

Colin Mendez Morris

Looks pretty wicked. The B&H description says:" According to Sony, on-camera recording is still in 4:2:0 color space, but the larger sensor means there’s no interpolation to achieve that."
Also-Is it 8bit or 10 bit? Anyone?

H. Paul Moon

H. Paul Moon Plus

Den Lennie just tweeted that he's not sure about 8-bit versus 10-bit, and he would know if anyone (because he's been using it for a while by now to make a forthcoming video).

Zachary Mami

Zachary Mami Plus

Do we know if the body is plastic or metal? I don't seem to see any posts stating that.

H. Paul Moon

H. Paul Moon Plus

Hi, Zachary. All we have so far is from the press release, saying it has an "enhanced durable design." Sounds promising.

Dave Rondot

Dave Rondot

B&H site says HDMI 4:2:2 8-bit output

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.

This is a Vimeo Group. Groups allow you to create mini communities around the things you like. Check out other interesting groups. Groups