Sony NEX-FS700 User Group

EXPANDABLE FOCUS

DANIEL  ONEILL

DANIEL ONEILL PRO

Is there a way to have the expandable focus option work on an external EVF ( Small HD DP4 ) ?
Please advise.
Thank you.

Mark Hensley

Mark Hensley Plus

I am surprised that we don't hear more about this being a concern. I know when I researched and decided to buy the FS700 one of my concern was that we would have the expanded focus like we have become accustom to on the DSLRs. When the early reports spoke of expanded focus is seemed only natural that that would include operation of an external EVF if one has "All data" option set in the camera's output menu.

I got to tweet this issues with Mr. Bloom the other day "briefly" then his ADD kicked in and he was gone, but during the brief exchange he initial said he felt it was due to recording, to which I responded that if we are already setting the camera to output all LCD data then it goes without saying that we don't plan on recording the stream. After that he slightly agreed that it might be a good idea. I think the camera is still to new and people need to build up their shoulder rigs and find they can't punch in for a quick focus check like we have become use to on the DSLRs.

I have written emails to Den Lennie, Tony Reale, and Frank Glencairn. No replies yet from any of them.

At least you know there is one(1) other person out saying "Huh"!

Cheers,
Mark

DANIEL  ONEILL

DANIEL ONEILL PRO

Hi Mark,
I came to all the same conclusions that you did with regards to using an external monitor. I have since assigned one of the buttons on my EVF to 1:1 mapping and with a quick push of the button I get a pretty good zoom which allows for critical focus. It will take some getting used to but as with all of these things there is the continual give and take of new tech.
Thanks for getting back to me.
Best,
Daniel

Mark Hensley

Mark Hensley Plus

Me too, I also have the DP4. The one thing I wish SmallHD would fix is that when you do the 1:1 zoom in you position the zoom window do your focus, turn it off. On mine the next time I hit the 1:1 the zoom window start back at its initial location which off the to the left side of the screen on mine. I also bought that little keypad they offered back around Christmas and that has never worked on my unit. When I plug in the keypad the DP4 just goes crazy. Oh well I think there is a critical focus conspiracy against me, LOL.

Let's keep our collective fingers crossed that as the FS700 gets out there that more people start saying WTF on the EVF.

Mark

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.

This is a Vimeo Group. Groups allow you to create mini communities around the things you like. Check out other interesting groups. Groups