Sony NEX-FS700 User Group

Atomos Blade Prores > Internal AVCHD... I don't see it.

Devin Bousquet

Devin Bousquet Plus

I recently purchased an FS700R (includes updated firmware) and an Atomos Blade recorder with it because I've read so much about the AVCHD falling short in grading. I have to say that I've personally put the footage through many tests and I don't see it. I've graded it every which way, using different gammas including S-log-2, and never see any difference. Even split-screening looks like one solid image. I feel like I wasted my money on the Blade especially since I already own a nice Marshall monitor.

Can anyone show me a test where you can actually see it? I'm open to any thoughts on this. Thanks in advance.

FocusPulling (.com)

FocusPulling (.com)

Honestly, I agree that this is the inevitable result all-around. Just make sure that you're capturing true 10-bit 4:2:2 -- but if so, really it's a matter of the sensor being the lowest common denominator for which AVCHD is basically sufficient.

Studio3one8

Studio3one8 PRO

So this post has finally answered my question as I was torn between purchasing a much cheaper recorder and monitor (Blade) because of the Prores and I thought I would get much cleaner image than native in camera AVCHD or purchase the Odyssey 7Q which slightly more expensive and had all those extra new features along with RAW and ProRes to come.

Devin Bousquet

Devin Bousquet Plus

I wish I hadn't purchased the Blade. Until I see impressive side by side proof that 7Q will be worth it, I'm not spending another dime.

Ric Murray Studio, Inc

Ric Murray Studio, Inc PRO

The big difference we see is in keying on green or blue screen. The ProRes footage has a lot less noise, which means a smoother edge on the key. We are using an Atmos Samurai with an older 700 (without the upgrade) and I am panning to do the upgrade and buy a 7Q in the next 2 months for the 2.7K option . If you are not seeing a difference then perhaps the kind of work you are doing doesn't benefit from the extra effort. Dump the Blade on eBay and enjoy the excellent AVCHD (it is pretty damn good).

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.

This is a Vimeo Group. Groups allow you to create mini communities around the things you like. Check out other interesting groups. Groups