Panasonic GHx & micro4/3 Community

GH2 Predictions / Wishlist

Liza Witz

Liza Witz

Here's what I'd like to see:
-- Use AVC-Intra 50 instead of AVCHD, or have it as an option. This is a panasonic created format that Final Cut Pro edits natively. Its also 50Mbits/sec and has a deeper color space and more 10 bits per pixel. This makes the camera "pro" answers the naysayers who bitch about bitrate and means there's no log and transfer process for anyone using FCP.

-- Allow pre-set focus positions with a toggle between them and a user configured rate of adjusting focus. EG: a software defined focus puller! This would be so useful and is so cheap, doesn't even need to be a custom button, just a mode on an existing button.

-- CMOS Global Shutter- Would eliminate the issues of rolling shutter. Or if global shutter isn't practical, then a distributed regional shutter. (eg: a bit of circuitry on the chip that will read out a region of pixels very fast, and store the values locally so that the data can be read off later. RAM is super cheap, RAM can be built on a cmos process, so why not integrate RAM on the sensor? Seperate out the process of *reading* the frame from the chip from the process of *capturing* the frame.
(for those who don't know what I'm talking about the hard part is pulling a 8megapixel data stream off of the sensor 60 times a second. So what happens is there is no buffering and the camera just reads the values off line by line, while the image is still being captured. This is what causes the jello effect.)

-- Dithering the full resolution image down to HD resolution rather than dropping pixels. All these DSLRs have to convert the full resolution image to HD resolution before encoding it..... the sensor is producing 8 megapixels (or 4,000 pixel across) images when in 16:9 mode, but HD is only 1920 pixels across. Rather than just dropping every other pixel, it would be nice if the camera could take every four pixels and average them down to one, to turn the 4000x3000 sensor image into a 1920x1080 video frame (about three to one vertically, and 2:1 horizontally)

This would immediately boost high ISO image quality by 2-4 stops, making the GH2 outperform anything out there right now. It would also make the image quality of every frame in every situation much better.... and we'd be really using all the data the sensor the sensor is gathering.

This would double the lines horizontally and triple vertically, producing a dramatic improvement. However, it would also mean a fast method of reading data off the sensor, or some processing on the sensor (possibly combined with the regional shutter idea I mentioned earlier) to make it work.
------

What I think we might see:

-- Higher dynamic range sensor
We know panasonic is working on this so its probably to be expected.
-- Some more lenses, maybe more HD type lenses.

And that's about all I can think of that we should expect. I think the odds are probably very good that there is a GH2 and that it will be announced in the first half of 2010, probably in the first couple months of 2010. But I have no idea what the obvious next step is for for panasonic--- unless they're working on something like the features on my wishlist. AVCIntra is technically possible but they may be reserving it for "pro" products. My sensor design ideas may not be technically possible, though from what I know of HVLSI design they are probably feasable (though they may be too expensive) ..... but they seem like the direction that we'd want them to go.

The key issues facing these kinds of cameras are: image quality, low light sensitivity and aliasing and rolling shutter artifacts. So I have to figure this is where panasonic would be spending time.

These issues affect all cameras that use 4/3 sensors for Video-- but then, is this format really for video, or is video just an add on? If the latter, then they will likely be pursuing other features.

Augusto Alves da Silva

Augusto Alves da Silva Plus

I think all of this will be dictated by the market. IMHO I think they could have given us all this a very long time ago...As in the broadcast they will give us more features on a need to sell basis. Not Panasonic but every make! So what we can do is simply wait and try to make some money with what we have which is much better than what we had one year ago. I still think that Panasonic and Canon and others started this VDSLR process due to RED advances on the HD prices. They couldn´t let a small company outsell them and get in their own fields. With all this we realized that technology is CHEAP and that these companies have or had huge profits with us the silly customers that couldn´t do anything to lower the prices...It was just buying or not according to our budget. Things now are more leveled but I am sure they are still making huge profits and very busy with each others products, and not with us customers. We will still keep on buying GH2, GH3, GH4...and so on. As long as we make money with their equipment I am fine with that.

Liza Witz

Liza Witz

Augusto- my background is in technology, so I have a different perspective. I see this as every company working on the cuting edge. Only recently have CPUs been fast enough (and low power enough) to make a product like the GH1 possible. The problem of reading data out of the sensor at 60 fps is a very serious one. The GH1 doesn't support 1080/60p because *it can't*. In fact, I bet that the hardware couldn't handle 1080/30p! Just 5fps more! This is because at that resolution we're talking about a huge amount of bandwidth.

RED found an advantage with a new sensor design which has some tradeoffs for them, and they are making products that make the most sense given those tradeoffs. One of the tradeoffs is that they are extremely expensive. Like all things price will come down over time, but there's no way RED can make a GH1 competitor.... and at the time that they can, Panasonic will be able to make something as good for the same price range.

So, technology isn't really cheap. It takes a lot of labor to design the sensors and a lot of capital investment to build them, and hen a lot more labor to make the software. These are all expenses in R&D rather than manufacturing, which does mean that the individual product can have a nice margin--- but these high R&D costs are a natural gate on how fast a company can innovate.

If Panasonic could just double the capabilities of the GH1 with the next generation they woudl-- they'd get a huge amount of market share.

I don't believe they are holding anything back.

Raoul THEEUWS

Raoul THEEUWS

Interesting start of a an exhange of ideas ...

As they say in french:

"Du choc des idées jaillit la lumière!"

Liza,

Maybe you can add also to this wish-list your concrete ideas about future ergonomic corrections?!

So we will obtain a global list of possible improvements???

marvopolis

marvopolis Plus

Very high on my wish list would be professional microphone inputs (XLR) with phantom power and manual audio controls. Plus a headphone jack. This would make the GH1 a well rounded camera, versus something that's optimized for b-roll. I really hope Panasonic is listening.

Liza Witz

Liza Witz

I agree totally about giving more control over audio. The ability to turn off AGC would go a long way. Headphone jack also would be much appreciated and seems reasonable. Then on screen audio meters would be nice too.

I really don't see what's "professional" about XLR inputs. They're big and they are historically backwards compatible but the XLR plug is from the 1960s.... I don't see a reason that a more modern standard can't be used, other than everyone already having products in this form factor and wanting cameras that support it. Where on the body would you put XLR plugs anyway? They'd take up more volume than the batteries....

marvopolis

marvopolis Plus

Liza: I'd be in favour of a new microphone standard (perhaps USB), but for now we are still saddled with XLR in the professional world. Mini and sub-mini connectors are not rugged enough and can come unplugged easily. Phantom power can also be very important, which can be done with USB. I'd settle for an optional little box that snaps onto the hot shoe like the one you can buy for the Panasonic HMC-40, but I would want it to have a headphone jack. The jack would need to monitor the sound downstream of the camera. The Beachtek monitors upstream so you can't be certain the camera plug is working.

Richard

Richard

They won't gave us everything at first, always little improvement slowly, so force us to spend more in long run. Panasonic do sell pro consumer camera, they do has to worry about their camcorder business. Nikon other hand should really take advantage since they don't sell camcorder yet they are lacking behind in video record desperate been the first out of the gate.

Liza Witz

Liza Witz

I now believe we'll see a new mFT camera anounced by Panasonic before February 21st. It is not clear to me whether this new camera will be a G1 replacement, or a new camera that replaces both the G1 and GH1. It seems to me that it would be more economical to make one camera body that does video and stills like the GH1, and sell it in two kits- one with a stills oriented lens like the 14-45mm and one with the HD 14-140mm zoom. Probably the stills oriented kit would be cheaper.

I believe the G1 is discontinued, and the GH1 is probably not being manufactured anymore (as they switch manufacturing to the new camera.) I don't have any confirmation of this, of course, this is speculation.

But I'd say I have an "educated guess" here, and I will be very surprised if there isn't an announcement between new and the end of PMA.

Andrew Stauffer

Andrew Stauffer

Second the motion on manual audio control plus more rugged jacks (even standard mini would be better) plus headphones out.

Also HDMI output at all times, not just for playback.

At some point, I'd like to see a build quality worthy of a professional camera, like that of my Olympus E-3, in which I have the confidence to take it out in all sorts of weather conditions; not so with the GH1.

And some cooperation between Oly and Panny such that there's better interchangeability of their digital lenses. I can use my Panny/Leica 50mm 1.4 standard 4/3 on the GH1, I should be able to do the same with my Zuikos (in terms of focus).

Dieter Knüttel

Dieter Knüttel PRO

Hi,

here are some more rumors (or is it a wishlist?) about the potential new G2/GH2:
Source: 43rumors.com/ft3-hot-the-panasonic-g2gh2/
and: dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=197391

GH2
~14MP LiveMOS supports 1080/60p(up to 24Mbps) AVCHD movie, global shutter, multiple-aspect.
~EVF:360Hz;RGBx120Hz SXGA(target), which can tilt forward&backward
~LCD(vari-angle):960xRGBx540 guarterFullHD(HITACHI Displays, a affiliate company of Panasonic)
~AF will get a little bit more faster, SDXC, HDMI real-time output, Bluetooth3.0(target)
~colors:GRAPHITE BLACK, TITANIUM, MIDNIGHT BLUE VIOLET
~kit:14-140mm/F4.0-5.6 HD OIS, 12-75mm/F2.5-3.3 HD OIS(target)

G2
~14MP LiveMOS supports 1080/60p(up to 24Mbps) AVCHD movie, global shutter, multiple-aspect.
~EVF:360Hz;RGBx120Hz SXGA(target), fixed
~LCD(vari-angle):960xRGBx540 quarterFullHD(HITACHI Displays, a affiliate company of Panasonic)
~AF will get a little bit more faster, SDXC, Bluetooth3.0(target)
~built-in stereo microphone
~colors:URBAN RED, EXTRA BLACK, CORAL GOLD
~kit:14-45mm/F3.5-5.6 OIS, 45-200mm/F4.0-5.6 OIS, 14mm/F2.8”

GH2 vs GH1 comparison:

Video: 1080p60/24mbps vs 1080p30/17mbps
EVF: movable 1280×1024 vs fixed 800×600
LCD: 960×540 vs 480×320
Card: SDXC vs SDHC
Out: realtime HDMI vs basic HDMI

James T. Kirk

James T. Kirk

All rumors yet ... we will see. The question for me is: Will the next model really be that better, that it is worth switching from the GH1 to the GH2 or whatever ? The GH1 was a true revolution, making things possible, which have been impossible with normal camcorders before. I doubt, that the next step, however it will look like, will be such big again ... most customers will be people, who don't own a GH1 yet.

Looking around, I also can't see any other camera, which is providing the same features and quality as the GH1 for the same price at the moment. So, I can't see any reason for Panasonic to release a new model soon. They quickly came up with the GF1 as an answer to the Olympus Pen, but why should they release a new model as a competitor for the GH1 ? That doesn't really makes sense to me. February 21st is soon and I might be wrong ... but if I would be Panasonic, I would wait until a new challenger appears.

Also if I read "more HD type lenses" ... what are "HD type lenses" ??? If a lens is good enough for taking good pictures at the full resolution of the GH1, why should't it at the lower HD resolution ? Looking at many awesome pictures, taken with the GH1 and all kind of lenses ( even really vintage ones ), I would say, there are already enough great lenses out there, which are at least "HD type" and most of them are even better.

People also always want more quality, more resolution ... for what ? I can't share the full quality of the GH1 via Vimeo or YouTube even now ... nor I can conserve it on a DVD. Most people are making nice movies for sharing them after that somehow, don't they ? But the technologies for that are not that developed yet. I also have to smile, when people are taking 10 MegaPixels pictures with their cellphones, sending them later as 300 kB file per mail ;-))

Stavros K

Stavros K

If they fix the mud and the low light banding, the GH2 will be everything I would need.
I hope they do.

Dieter Knüttel

Dieter Knüttel PRO

Also, I think they lost lots of customers by not having the live HDMI out. This is really a breaking point with many professionals. Also the bad audio control, actually the non exsisting audio control.
We say the better is the enemy of the good. Sio I do think ,tha tif a GH2 comes out sith several missed features, people will think to buy a body only GH2, because they have the lenses already.
Anyway, it will be interesting.

There is the Panasonic Lumix G countdown running.
panasonic.com.sg/lumixg/

In 8 days we know more.

Phillip Jackson

Phillip Jackson

Honestly the live hdmi out is far more important than the sound issue. Most professionals aren't making films alone, so having the ability to share the image through an HD monitor is more important than trying to get better on board sound.

marvopolis

marvopolis Plus

Hi Phil. Your comment is probably true for "films", but for those people who work in corporate / industrial video or news, we do not have time to fuss around with double system sound. For me, and thousands like me, usable sound is way more important than HDMI out. That said, it is not really an either-or thing. Both features can be engineered into this camera and I would actually be willing to pay a little more for it. After all, I had to pay extra to get a Beachtek. I would have rather spent that extra money on a more expensive camera with proper sound.

Phillip Jackson

Phillip Jackson

True, I come to this as a filmmaker so the way I look at a camera is different. And of course they could do both of them in one upgrade.

Liza Witz

Liza Witz

I believe this Rumor is from somebody who read my original post above and put together a wishlist and then posted it as a rumor. I am the only one I've seen who talks about the issue of a global shutter, and yet, in this "rumor" no mention is made of how they would managed to implement a global shutter in CMOS. People without the electronics background I have seem to think that "global shutter" is just a feature you add.... but it is not, it is a non-trivial thing to do with a CMOS chip. (And going to CCD is highly unlikely at this point.)

I believe I can thus debunk this rumor. If panasonic has found a way to do a global shutter in CMOS, fantastic. Quite possibly they are doing this in conjunction with a "backlight" type sensor, which would help in making a global shutter to some extent.

But without an explanation of how they managed such a breakthru, this rumor does not hold up to scrutiny. Not to mention that there is no differentiation between the G2 model and the GH2 model in the rumor, and the laundry list of features-- someone with that much knowledge would have more detail, and most people with real knolwedge only know particular aspects of the feature set.

I believe this rumor is nothing more than wishful thinking, unfortunately.

PS- Also, we have global shutter plus the frame rate at 1080 is doubled to 60FPS? This represents 2 generations of improvement in sensor design. Maybe in 2012 or late 2011 this could happen--- but to get both at once would be very highly unlikely. IT represents a spectacular break thru on Panasonic's part.

Its not impossible, but if it happened, it would be huge news, and put Panasonic well ahead of every other maker-- ahead of Canon, Sony, Nikon, etc. Well ahead.

For a rumor monger they are two features that its easy to just assert are going to be there, because to someone who doesn't understand sensors, the significance of getting both is easily lost.

Dieter Knüttel

Dieter Knüttel PRO

And Panasonic has a wide range of highly professional video cameras.
I doubt, that they would implement the 1080/60p first in an 1200 US$ model, rather than in their professional gear.

@ Phil, I think, if you have the budget to film with a crew of several people with an audio expert in it, why using a 1200 $ Camera with the known limitations and not a real professional camera.

I really think, if you have an live HDMI out and a better sound support, it would give the GH1, sorry, GH2, a boost.
Any other improvements are welcome of course.

Phillip Jackson

Phillip Jackson

Hehe people do work for free in the film world. At least in the independent world I currently reside in. A crew is any more than one person. A crew of three can produce better audio within the same amount of time as a one man show. But regardless this is getting off topic.

Kevin Jacobs

Kevin Jacobs

Is there any official word out yet about the GH2? Or a possible announcement? I know this isn't quite on-topic but I wouldn't wanna bother everyone with another new thread just for this one question.

Phillip Jackson

Phillip Jackson

Nope, any thing out there right now is still rumor.

Kevin Jacobs

Kevin Jacobs

Great! Cause I'm in the process of getting a GH1 myself but I could wait a year or 2 and get a GH2 straight away, if it's as good as the GH1 is in it's class.

Phillip Jackson

Phillip Jackson

If you are in the practice of waiting for the better camera, you'll always be waiting. In the world of tech there will always be something better coming out. That's my general philosophy on the matter at least.

Stavros K

Stavros K

Thats partially true but there are some things that are worth waiting for. For example between a camcorder of 1,000€ and the GH1, it is worth waiting for the GH1. Anyway I bought it because the lens of a SLR give a MUCH more cinematic image than a camcorder. However now I think the GH1 is good enough for indie film making. But let us hope that the GH2 will solve the mud issue. I have no other requirement. But of course better chroma sampling, progressive 25fps, monitoring etc are more than welcome.

Kevin Jacobs

Kevin Jacobs

@ Phil: That I know, but there's a difference between buying a cam 2 year before it's predecessor hits the shelves, or 4 months.

Mike Loomis

Mike Loomis

Here's a question. Would better audio control be strictly a software thing? Meaning they could push a firmware upgrade to the GH1 to add more functionality or control if it is actually in the gh2?

Phillip Jackson

Phillip Jackson

Disclaimer, I'm no engineer. There must be some component of the GH1 that is listening/watching the levels for it to know to ramp up if it's very quiet. So if the camera knows that, there must be at least a basic monitoring of sound levels in the firmware. So it might be possible to slap a UI into it the firmware similar to the waveform monitor to watch the levels.

Eric Thompson

Eric Thompson PRO

If I were panasonic, I probably wouldn't upgrade my $1300 GH1 to make my $5000 hvx useless. Knowing this, things like xlr inputs will probably be out of the question (for now).

I think we can defiantly expect a live hdmi output.
Other than that I don't think a GH2 will have upgrades that cater to video.

I don't think panasonic realized that people would be slapping on $20,000 lenses and making feature films. Otherwise the camera would cost a little bit more. This camera is intended for soccer moms not cinematographers.

Over the next few year panasonic, sony, canon and the rest of the gang will be upgrading there pro video cameras to 2k and 4k. We will all set down our dslrs and buy theses cameras. At that point, the dslrs will get better and we will all switch back. This will go on and on until 2060 when apple releases the iKeychain Video that shoots invisible 70mm film and has a 6mm - 5000mm f.01 kit lens.

...thats my prediction.

Mike Loomis

Mike Loomis

The one thing I think it needs more than anything is more control of audio, either just for monitoring it or switching between mic and line levels for a Beachtek adapter or something.

As for live hdmi out, could that also be done with a firmware upgrade for the GH1?

Dieter Knüttel

Dieter Knüttel PRO

Why a counddown for this? No gallery, No news, no upcomung events, only the cameras that we know already and also no new lenses?
That was pretty useless.

Dieter Knüttel

Dieter Knüttel PRO

OK, it seem that this was the start of the G-Series in Singapore.

Liza Witz

Liza Witz

Right it was the countdown to the launch of the website... for some reason the "rumor community" assumed it was more than what it said ti was.... and assumed it meant new cameras.

Liza Witz

Liza Witz

I believe we will have a new G model within the next 30 days-- announced anyway, I don't know if it will be released. PMA is comming up, and there are invites for the UK's "Focus on imaging" conference in early march from panasonic which specifically mention new G models.

So hold off on buying a GH1 if you're just about to.

The questions for me remain: Will the new G series replace the G1 or the G1 and GH1? Seems silly to not have a single model that does both.

The other question is-- are the rumors of a global shutter true or not. IF they are, a global shutter would put panasonic *way* ahead of others. It provides a lot of possibilities. but they may just be echos of my speculation that people have turned into rumors. I know I was just talking about what I wanted to see.... but it is a logical enough of a progression that panasonic should be working on it.

A global shutter would not only solve the rolling shutter / jello issues, but would result in improved image quality, higher iso, etc due to being able to read more pixels off of the sensor per frame.

Stavros K

Stavros K

I want the shuterless camera as well. I am so bored of hearing the shutter click in quite circumstances where I dont want to attract attention.

Phillip Jackson

Phillip Jackson

It's called a range finder, might want to invest in a cheap film one.

Stavros K

Stavros K

No thanx, I am not going back to film anytime soon. I am so spoiled by the fact that I can see immediately what I shot.

Harry Alama

Harry Alama

People need to remember that Panasonic has been in the professional video camera/recorder business for a long time. The 1st 3ccd pro camera I bought was a panasonic CLE300, and I still have it. I bought it because they produced a good product at a great price. I also liked the image it produced, very different from all the Sony cameras we were using back then. They make very good HD cameras and have done a very good job with 720P HD.
It would be a mistake to think that a $1500 DSLR should have all that bells and whistles that their expensive video cameras have.
Having said that, if they want to produce a great DSLR for video, they need to add monitoring for both image and sound. They should also bump up the AVCHD codec to 24Mbps.
I think this is a pretty good tool, and it's just a matter of learning how to get the most out of it. There's a lot of people who've jumped on the RED bandwagon and learned that the RED does not work like a video camera. It's a tool for film makers. I think the DSLR is also in that category another tool for photographers and cinematographers, not videographers. It feels weird wearing my light meter again.

Liza Witz

Liza Witz

There is monitoring for image on the GH1. 24Mbps is pointless. AVC-Intra 50 is a pro codec and is the way they should go. If they want to charge $2,500 for the camera - a GH-Pro model, maybe- then so be it.

There's really no profit in protecting one model line by hobbling another. IF they don't canibalize the camcorder sales when they have better technology in the EVIL platform, then someone else will.

Liza Witz

Liza Witz

This is orthoganal to a global shutter. A global shutter could be a side effect of one way of accomplishing this technique. Or they could do it without making a global shutter.

I suspect, though, that a global shutter HAS to be a goal of every company, because this is one of the most fundamental problems with CMOS video-- and the company that makes a sensor that has one will be unique in the marketplace for some period of time. Just not sure if its yet practical for VLSI, though I can't see why not, especially with the move to back illumination.

Joshua Zimmerman

Joshua Zimmerman

Idk about you guys but I'm excited if the bluetooth rumor is true. Maybe bluetooth tether shoot =P ? Tho I would mainly be doing that for Still use.

Liza Witz

Liza Witz

Ok, now that the G2 and G10 are announced, and the GH2 is nowhere in sight, but we're getting some interesting patents and interview responses, I think we can have a pretty good idea of what we'll see in the GH2. If you spread these specs as a "rumor" don't pretend like you got it from an inside source, just link back to this forum. I have no inside info, but I'm a good prognosticator and observer of these kinds of corporations.

GH2-
1080 @ 24/30/48p
Unique CMOS Global Shutter- this will widen the lead against canon and everyone else. This will be a unique hard to replicate and patented technology.
Dynamic Range will be significantly better. (%10-%15)
Extended Sensor sensitivity by 1 stop, possibly 1.5 stops. EG: in low light the noise will be the same at twice the ISO as the current sensor. Pixel for pixel the GH1 is already the best sensor on the market, it will widen this gap considerably with the new sensor.
All metal, or mostly metal chassis with advanced cooling
AVCHD at 24Mbps
Touch Screen LCD with rack focus, follow focus and facial recognition focus modes. Touch the LCD to rack focus while shooting.
Announced late summer, or at photokina, whipping in the October or November timeframe.

NOTE: This is not a rumor, this is my estimate based on the available information out there. This is not inside info, but this is what I'm expecting.

Unclear: It might be a back illuminated sensor, in which case expect it to be 2 stops more sensitive than the GH1 sensor.

The key driver to the GH1, and panasonic's key advantage is the sensor, and they just built a new plant to make these sensors. This is how they will attempt to establish an unbeatable lead over their competition.

High DR, Global Shutter, Large & Back Illuminated are all things they can do themselves. They may not do them all in the same release, but all of them give them a competitive advantage, and the global shutter is a game changer.

PS- when this camera is announced the idiots who know nothing about cameras will calim that the 5DmkII is already better because it has "twice the bitrate". These people are stuck in the land of tape, and do not know anything about video compression. This is how you seperate the wannabe experts form the technologists. The wannabes are hung up on their rules of thumb.

Liza Witz

Liza Witz

Also, I think one of the key reasons for the all metal body and heat dissipation is to allow for a full read of the sensor. This may be the "global shutter" solution without the global shutter. If they read the sensor very fast, and fully, then they can downrez to HD in the CPU using dithering, resulting in vastly higher image quality (about a stop in effective sensitivity alone could come from just that.)

Doing this fast enough would also eliminate the CMOS skew and jello that makes the 5D unusable.

Phillip Jackson

Phillip Jackson

And for all who didn't know what a back illuminated sensor was (like me) here's a helpful link.

bit.ly/c0uXYo Not spam/malware. Links to dpreview.

Dieter Knüttel

Dieter Knüttel PRO

Lisa Witz wrote:
"If you spread these specs as a "rumor" don't pretend like you got it from an inside source"

Sorry if I gave this impression.
I am not a native speaker, for me a rumor is anything, that is not confirmesd.

I did not know that a rumor implies information from an insider.

I just happen to find these sites and I think, these "unconfirmed information" was not posted here before. This is why I posted them.

Thats all.

Liza Witz

Liza Witz

Dieter, you didn't give the wrong impression. The links you posted to are VERY GOOD. They are rumors, and they are appreciated.

I was referring to people taking my post, and putting it forth somewhere else as if it was their "inside info". I don't speak for panasonic, but some people like to take things they hear on a forum like this, and then represent it as their own "inside info".

This can result in websites reporting information as fact that isn't actually inside info at all...

So, I wasn't even referring to you in my post.

When you link to a rumor, as you did, it helps all of us. If I think the rumor you link to is bad info, I will try to explain why it is bad. But I won't be mad that you linked to it.

Mémoire Vive

Mémoire Vive

hello,

Following the G1 is G2 and G10
Following the GH1 will be GH2 and GH10.

it would be logical.

Liza Witz

Liza Witz

A GH10 might be really nice, especially if its inexpensive. We'll see.

Jordan Romberger

Jordan Romberger

Thanks to all for posting here! Anxiously awaiting an announcement on the official specs for the GH2. I'm a newb to the DSLR world, actually considered an HD camcorder first, until researching the amazing capabilities of the late DSLR's. Had been quite set on the Canon T2i due to its excellent video capabilities. The GH1 may be more appealing in that regard, especially being the only one on the market with the greater compression rate of AVCHD, but the $1,200 price tag takes it above my budget. So, to add to the GH2 wishlist, I'm hoping it comes in under $1,000. Many of you here have more experience, is there any hope of a price reduction?

Khairul M. Yusuf

Khairul M. Yusuf

My only wish is Panasonic to make an accessory battery pack cum grip. That's all..

Jordan Romberger

Jordan Romberger

Tax day... will Panasonic announce the GH2 in time to stuff their pockets with some tax return dollars???

John Lockwood

John Lockwood

I hope the GH2 has a EVF Auto Power Boost OFF switch!!!!! LVF is a false claim without it. If you have a chance to communicate with Panasonic directly, please mention this.

Robert Iniarski

Robert Iniarski

What about adding to selftimer also intervalometer, for me it looks like a simple software modification with no need for hardware modification

Robert Iniarski

Robert Iniarski

Also it would be nice to have a focus latch, usefull when shooting animals. Camera will shoot when in object will get into focus zone - also looks simple, there might be a problem with batery life.

Raoul THEEUWS

Raoul THEEUWS

I presume, Richard, that you are mixing the "G's"?!

G2 and GH2?

Well, it's only one letter ... no more!!

;-))

??????

Richard Jett

Richard Jett Plus

GH would mean 1080p. G would be 720. So the GH2 is not out and thus the wish list.
Thanks Raoul. I slowly coming up to speed.

Raoul THEEUWS

Raoul THEEUWS

Well, Richard, with all the G's and the 1, 2, etc ..."!

;-))

YouDidntDidYou

YouDidntDidYou

1. manual focus assist to go across all of the screen
2. customisable gradient maps
3. cinema aspect ratio 4000 x 1800 pixels 21:9
4 those Olympus art filters
5. in built wireless flash support
6 GPS for photo and video
7. more extreme customising of film modes
other stuff too but they already been asked for

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.

This is a Vimeo Group. Groups allow you to create mini communities around the things you like. Check out other interesting groups. Groups