Panasonic GHx & micro4/3 Community

Adapting Lenses to the GH1 - Repository of Info

Liza Witz

Liza Witz

There are quite a few adapters to allow the GH1 to take lenses designed for other cameras.

The primary adapter is the Micro-Four Thirds to Four Thirds Adapter. This will allow you to use lenses from Olympus and Panasonic, some of which also will autofocus on the GH1.
Here's panasonics compatibility list with Four Thirds lenses using the adapter:
panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/connect/g1.html

There are a plethroa of third party adapters to other formats, and a fan maintained spreadsheet of them is here:
tinyurl.com/6tnoht

Some have adapted C-mount lenses to the G1, which can be a great way to get a rather fast lens inexpensively. For instance there are f 0.95 lenses for less than $500. The issue is that some c-mounts don't have full coverage of the 4/3 sensor. Here's a spreadsheet with people's results using various C mount lenses:
spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p9kkgjwEQQQ-HJwvNDobeEw

Philip Bloom

Philip Bloom PRO

I get mine tomorrow :) and already have a Nikon to Panasonic adaptor!

BumKi Cho

BumKi Cho

Philip,
I cannot wait for your review on this camera. More specifically what would you recomment between DMC-GH1 and AG-HMC150 to a person like me who are looking to upgrade from hv20? I like what I am reading about GH1 so far, but I cannot shake HMC150 out of my mind yet.

PappasArts

PappasArts

Philip which adapter did you buy? Could you link me to it?

Thank you.

Liza Witz

Liza Witz

He mentioned on his blog that he bought a Nikon F adapter.

Kert Gartner

Kert Gartner Plus

Anyone know which 4/3rds to Canon FD adapter is the best? There's a few to choose from, and I'm not really sure what the difference is between them all.

Thanks!

Liza Witz

Liza Witz

Not having bought any (since I'm waiting for the GH1 to be released in the US) I can't give an opinion. But if you go to getdpi.com those forums seem to be the center of the "adapt lenses to the G1" craze.

Diane Fields

Diane Fields

I have the Cameraquest/Rayqual adaptor FD adaptor, but AFAIK, all of them work well. I'd go with a reasonably priced one--several on Ebay.

Jerry Rudzinski

Jerry Rudzinski

Do you know, how AF works in video mode with SUMMILUX 25/1.4 ?

Liza Witz

Liza Witz

This is the panasonic 4/3 lens, right? The AF should work but should be slower and probably a bit noisy, possibly being audible on the internal mics.

Devin Nunns

Devin Nunns

Liza is right the AF on the Summilux 25mm f1.4 does work, Just a bit slower and noisier. A firmware upgrade is required though. Somewhere on panasonic's website you can find the details and firmware version required.

Noel Q.

Noel Q.

I thought only the stock 14-140 works AF on the GH1 on video mode?

Liza Witz

Liza Witz

No, that's an erronous assumption that a lot of people are making. The HD lens is quiet and quick for autofocusing and auto-irising, the lenses released for the G1 will auto focus (eg: other micro four thirds lenses) though their noise might be picked up on the mics and they aren't as fast.

Also, some of the adpated 4/3 lenses made by Panasonic and Olympus will AF in video mode-- basically if it AF for the G1 when adapted it AF for the GH1 as well.

Roman Königshofer

Roman Königshofer Plus

Can anyone tell me which adapter I would need to put a Voigtländer 1,8/50 Color-Ultron on a GH1? The whole adapter thing is pretty confusing... I was checking out the links above but can´t find my way through.

This is the lens, it´s from a old Voigtländer VSL1:
captjack.exaktaphile.com/rollei/vsl1.htm
...and it says "Made by Rollei" on the Bayonett.

And I´m also looking for a good FD adapter.
Can anyone recommend one of those?
novoflex.com/en/products/adapters/fourthirds-bajonett/
cameraquest.com/adp_micro_43_fd.htm
Any experience? Thanks a lot!!!

Liza Witz

Liza Witz

I think the getdpi.com forums are probably the place to find an answer to your questions.

I'm not the expert the people there are....

Olivier alv

Olivier alv

Hi everyone,

i'm looking for pentax PK adapter... does exist?

Thanks.

shawnparry

shawnparry

What about the Canon EF lenses - is there an adapter for those?

Liza Witz

Liza Witz

Boosting this. Adapter questions come up a lot and there's no way to pin/sticky particular posts in the forum.

FOCUS35.COM

FOCUS35.COM Plus

Why are people paying $100 on up for FD to 4/3 ????
I see them for $38.00 shipped from NY.

Liza Witz

Liza Witz

Because the guy in NY selling them for $40 is relatively new phenomenon and most of those posts were made back when the GH1 was brand new and the adapters had to be imported.

FWIW the $40 comes from a guy named "rainbow" something on ebay. I haven't used them but searching for a GH1 adapter on ebay will bring up his listings.

Jay Turberville

Jay Turberville

Also keep in mind other fast legacy primes. Years ago I bought a 50mm f/1.4 Takumar and use it and other Pentax screw mount lenses on 4/3s and now m4/3s via the Panasonic adapter. There are lots of inexpensive 4/3s adapters out there that work fine in combination with the micro-four thirds adapter. Of course, a direct adapter makes an even wider array of shorter back flange mount lenses available. Cool stuff.

Keep in mind that the quality of the bokeh for legacy lenses may be as important to you as the sharpness or fidelity of the lens. Often what you want is a certain look from a lens. So lenses with reputations for not being particularly sharp should not be excluded from consideration. You might find some no-name screw mount mongrel of a lens for $10 somewhere that just looks great.

And finally, old Konica lenses can be modified to mount to a 4/3s camera with no adapter. I have a 40mm f/1.8 Konica sitting on my GH1 right now using the MA1 adapter.

larrys

larrys Plus

I read glowing reviews about the canon fd adapter from rainbow and I have just purchased one yesterday. (I chose to buy it on Amazon) It is supposed to ship today. Bought a 50mm 1.4 FD from KEH. Can't wait to give it a spin!

Liza Witz

Liza Witz

Really good to know that he's selling on Amazon. Amazon is a much better venue for doing business than ebay. I've sold and bought on both, and hate the prospect of using ebay or paypal ever again.

I've never done business with KEH but have been price checking there for awhile, interested to know if they are a trustworthy outfit.

Jay Turberville

Jay Turberville

KEH has been selling used gear for years and their general reputation and selection is quite good. I've never purchased from them however. I've usually found a better deal somewhere else. But I certainly wouldn't hesitate to buy from them if they had what I wanted at a reasonable price.

larrys

larrys Plus

I have bought from them previously and they are top notch, kind and very trustworthy, and their ratings on used lenses are accurate.

Liza Witz

Liza Witz

I believe the above is referring to KEH, for anyone who comes by this thread later. And its good to know, because they sure have a huge selection of used lenses!

Anthony Guselnikov

Anthony Guselnikov Plus

Just discovered those spreadsheets - very good work. I'm tempted to jump into a few non-vignette C-mounts.. Very tempted.

Dennis Mathias

Dennis Mathias Plus

How about this question: Normally we double fl for 35mm lenses. i.e., 20mm in 35mm world = 40mm equiv. If we get a c-mount 10mm (16mm lens for that format like Bolex) is it really 10mm or some value in between 10 and 20? For example the KERN PAILLARD SWITAR 1.6/10mm C-MOUNT LENS BOLEX CAMERA. That would be sweet. But what should you expect as far as sensor coverage and angle?

Liza Witz

Liza Witz

C-Mounts have a different standard for "coverage" since the same lens may be used on a variety of different sensor sizes, so they will often list their image circle as the sensor size they support (eg: 2/3"). So, their angle of view will also vary based on the size of the sensor they are used with. Further the "size of the sensor" for the GH1 *varies* depending on what you're doing. 16:9 video is a 19.25mm image circle while shooting 4:3 stills is a 21mm image circle, due to the multi-aspect sensor design in this camera.

Those are the issues. The short answer, though is to go and see what the community has discovered by buying and experimenting with lenses, and this info is collected here:
spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p9kkgjwEQQQ-HJwvNDobeEw

Looking at that spreadsheet, there is a Kern Switar 10mm f1.6 someone tried that had a 14mm image circle. Looking on the right of the spreadsheet you can see what a 14mm image circle will look like when shot at 16:9. Namely the corners would be cut off and the circle would not reach the edge of the frame on the left and right while being wider than the frame above and below.

I think if you already have this lens, it would be a really nice special effect lens when you need to show someone looking thru binoculars or a "thru the lens" view of someone shooting a movie if you have a character with a movie camera. Or if you really like the optical properties you could shoot it at 1080 and take a 720 image from the center in post getting rid of the corners.

Santo W

Santo W Plus

I got an RJ Camera MD-m4/3 adapter from an eBay member in HK called i-source-global_store. It works as advertised. I can now use my Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm 1.4 lens with no problem.

clabart

clabart

I want to use Minolta MD lenses on GH1, is it possible?

clabart

clabart

Should I buy an adapter ring?
Do you know any company that sells those adapter rings?
Possibly in Europe, I live in Italy

Santo W

Santo W Plus

Note my posting above. I got my Minolta adapter from eBay and shipped from Hong Kong. About US $60.

Ron Widerberg

Ron Widerberg

Hey guys, i'm looking to get a good lens for my GH1, i bought a fotodiox nikon lens adapter and am now wondering what a good manual lens would be for filmmaking. I have been told that he old push pull lenses and primes are the way to go, what do you all think? Any suggestions?

Phillip Jackson

Phillip Jackson

Dear Vimeo Group, So I'm days away from ordering my GH1, and am very curious to know what to look out for when buying adapters. There seems to be an adapter for every price range. Are the cheaper adapters going to break sooner than the more expensive ones? Would it be better to invest in the more expensive ones or buy a bunch of cheaper ones? The realm of adapters is new to me so I just don't want to spend money on poor gear.

If anyone is interested, I'm looking to get an M42 and C-Mount adapter, this way I can use my SLR's lenses I already have and pick up some wide lenses by going the way of C-Mount.

James Ha

James Ha

I'm wondering the same thing Phil. Everywhere I go, everyone seems to say novaflex offers the best quality but there the most expensive. I'm wondering if these cheaper ones will work just as good.

Phillip Jackson

Phillip Jackson

Just posting some findings. It seems (at least for C-Mount lenses) that not all C-Mount lenses were made the same. No big surprise there. Depending on which adapter you get for the camera, you might have to do a bit of trimming to get the lens to sit correctly so that you get as close to infinity focus as possible. I'm now looking to see if there is a chart or something out there that shows what lenses work with no modification with certain adapters. Besides that C-Mount lenses are great to use as long as you know that you can get fall off depending on focal length.

Here's a link to a blog post high lighting what I just covered. cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2009/06/adapting-lens-to-fit-mount.html

mojo43

mojo43 Plus

I bought an FD adapter from ebay and have had great success with it. I believe it cost 30 dollars. I have heard that pretty much all the fd adapters are good, but I could be wrong.

Mike Loomis

Mike Loomis

I have my grandfathers old Pentax K1000 with a few lenses that I will never use again, so I bought a PK mount adapter from Amazon. This one: amazon.com/Pentax-Adapter-Olympus-Panasonic-DMC-GF1/dp/B002U4RQLK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1264202530&sr=8-1

As an adapter it works just fine, but when I connected it to the second lens there was a nice, audible "Click!" that sounded when it connected. I thought nothing of it until I tried to remove the adapter. Nothing doing. In fact, it is still attached to that lens and I have come to the conclusion that I will probably have to buy a second adapter to use with another lens. Is this right? Is there some trick to removing it that I just don't see? Any comments would be appreciated. Like I said, other than that it works just fine.

Augusto Alves da Silva

Augusto Alves da Silva Plus

try to see why it got stuck...the material is always right. It has to come off...just figure out the way of taking it back off....

Mike Loomis

Mike Loomis

It didn't happen with the first lens I tried it on, just the second. I'll keep trying but I am afraid to put too much pressure turning it since every place I can hold the lens adjusts something (either focus or aperture) and I don't want to break it, you know? At some point it is just worth getting a second adapter for the other lenses, which is a relatively easy thing to do. But in the back of my mind I know that you are probably right and it SHOULD come off so I will probably keep trying even after I buy a second adapter.

Chris Mann

Chris Mann PRO

I haven't tried the E-Bay adapters - I bought the Olympus OM to micro 4/3rds one which was about $170 from B&H - it's made to the standard you'd expect from a camera manufacturer... so I think if you want the assurance of quality then get a name-brand one; if you don't mind experimenting or are on a very tight budget then the E-bay ones may well be the answer.

Harry Alama

Harry Alama

I bought an adapter off of eBay to use my old Nikkor lenses with the GH1. I paid less than $30 US and it works fine. Just be sure to go into the menu and set the lens setting.

I don't know why, but I shot some tests and it seemed like even with the same settings the nikkor images were brighter. These are all very old manual lenses, all primes and very fast. I liked it so much that I bought a Nikkor to Canon adaptor and am using that with an EOS Rebel.

Too bad that the C-mount lenses I have don't seem to work, but then I remember that you couldn't take any old C-mount lens and use it on all cameras. I have an old Bell & Howell 16mm filmo and an original Bolex Rex. The B&H has beautiful 10mm f0.95 angeneux lens that couldn't work using the viewfinder on the bolex, and the bolex lenses were specific to that camera. I think those are switar lenses. I ended up getting a Nikkor to c-mount adaptor and using the nikkor lenses on the bolex.

Seems kind of strange walking around with a light meter again. At least I don't have to use the kelvin meter.

Harry Alama

Harry Alama

For Mike "As an adapter it works just fine, but when I connected it to the second lens there was a nice, audible "Click!" that sounded when it connected. I thought nothing of it until I tried to remove the adapter. Nothing doing. In fact, it is still attached to that lens and I have come to the conclusion that I will probably have to buy a second adapter to use with another lens. "

There's a small part with a spring on my nikkor to canon eos adaptor. You need to push it back to get it off the lens. I think that's what you're having problems with. Look for that part and try moving it. I have to mess with that and it doesn't seem right, but it will move and then I can get it off my lens. At first I was a little frustrated, but once I got used to it, I'm OK with it.

Mike Loomis

Mike Loomis

Thanks for trying to help, Harry. I ended up buying a second adapter which was put together with a different part on the unlock switch (the part with the spring). Anyway, when I put that one on my other lens and saw how it unlocked I was able to figure out the first one. My confusion was that the first adapter had a screw as the unlock trigger which physically screwed in and out of the adapter. It never occurred to me to try pushing it backwards, because it is a screw, but it does push backwards and the adapter does come off. It tricked me! Anyway, now I have one for each lens.

ABAS

ABAS

Is there a shift adapter for any full frame objective?
would be nice to be able to shift an fd or a nikon .... considering the image circle is way bigger. I've herd about tilt adapters but that is just a hip things that you end up not using, but a shift adapter will be nice for composition.

Son of Sizemore

Son of Sizemore

Sorry to seem ignorant, but any advice would be really helpful here.
Due to a mix up by an ebay seller, I got sent a CY lens adapter instead of an FD one...and since I bought the GH1 without lenses(with the intention of just using old lenses)I have nothing to shoot with :(.
So the question is, is it worth keeping the CY adapter? can I just buy any CY lens and use it normally? If so, I may just grab a cheap lens for a test.

Chris Woodhouse

Chris Woodhouse

Hi - does anyone know if the Leica M 18mm f3.8 will work with the GH1? I'm concerned about the clearance to the rear element.

Kay Woo

Kay Woo

use hdlens-selector.com helped me so much when trying to figure out which lens would work with body. good luck!

D. Eric Harmon

D. Eric Harmon

I just bought the GH1, but it does not come with the lens kit. I have a nikon d70 with two lenses--a sigma 18-50 mm and a sigma 55-200 mm..are there adapters for these lenses for the gh1? does anyone know where I can find a used lens kit for the gh1 as well?

Uncle GroOve

Uncle GroOve

I purchased a Novoflex adapter, made in Germany, expensive by fleabay / cheap labour country standards.
I have no issues at all with the manual only mode and like the fact that it has a sort of stepless adjustment pin which protrudes from the top and which serves the purpose of opening the diapghram all the way for focus purposes. This means that I can obtain half f-stop adjustments if I need. The adapter is easy to mount onto the camera and/or to the lenses, which means that I only need one (with other adaptors you must buy one for each lens as they are apparently more difficult to install or remove) - of course the fact that I use only Nikons helps a great deal :-)

Cheers

Paul

Joseph Hung

Joseph Hung Plus

Hello all,
I had an old Bell & Howell 16mm camera that doesn't work anymore (nor can I get the cartridges) so I pulled it apart, and removed the lens from it, a Bell & Howell 20mm f1.9 Super Comat. Bought a C-Mount adapter for my GH1. The adapter is run of the mill mount, nothing fancy, seems like ti would work fine. This lens isn't really meant to be removable, but I did it anyways.
When I put the lens on, I can't really focus to infinity. The focus difference between 18 in. and INF is small. In order to focus at INF on anything, I have get up real close with the camera.
I am not that knowledgable about the physics of optics, so maybe someone can tell me why this isn't really working? I found some posts online of people shooting on a G1 or Olympus with a Bell & Howell 25mm f1.9 Super Comat. Looks almost identical to my lens.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Joseph

Joseph Hung

Joseph Hung Plus

Also, this blog is an excellent repository of lenses. You won't believe the amount of lenses this guy has. He shoots on the G1, and posts stills from these lenses so you can see what the image will look like. OMG there are some incredible legacy lenses out there.
pbase.com/gummiebear/manual_focus_lenses&view=tree

Severn Rivers Trust

Severn Rivers Trust Plus

People may find the Mu4:3 camera group a useful source of information on using legacy lenses on GH-1 and GF-1 cameras
mu-43.com/f40/
I would strongly recommend old Minolta MC/MD lenses as representing real value for money. The Minolta 50mm f 1.4 is superior to the Nikon equivalent and 10 % of the price. For video there f3.5 zooms ( a 35-70 and a 50-135) are very good. The later being push pull for zooming, a real pain for still images with zooms, but great for video)
Also some information on my own site
petemarshall.com/blog/about/
Presently experimenting with the video side of things.

Art Dell

Art Dell

NEED HELP: I have a GH1 and I need to mount a Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 (D or G) lens on it. Can someone tell me:
1) what (cheap) adaptor is going to work well for me?
2) Can I control AF and Aperture from the camera? or will I have to use MF and Aperture on the lens itself?
3) Also if you know which Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 will work better? D or G? ($200 price difference - D has aperture ring on the lens, G doesnt)

Jordan Cadby

Jordan Cadby Plus

Hello

Has anyone experienced any problems with Canon EF mount lenses being used on the gh2? i find some are unable to focus... at all?

I have just a cheap adaptor, which works for my 50mm lens, but not my 11-16mm lens...
anybody got an idea?
i wonder weather theres an issue with the back of the lens its self being to close to the sensor?

anybody experienced this?

thanks

Jordan

J.A.I.

J.A.I.

What's up people!

I'm new to the DSLR world and I'm about to order my first DSLR and that will be the Lumix GH1!!!

Luckily my father used to be into photography so I have a lens to learn with.

I'm wondering which adapter would I need to buy for a Sigma MINI-WIDE 28mm f/2.8 to fit the GH1?

update*
I just found out I can use the Canon FD adapter. If I'm wrong let me know.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.

This is a Vimeo Group. Groups allow you to create mini communities around the things you like. Check out other interesting groups. Groups