[INACTIVE] Sony NEX-VG20 User Group

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 50I AND 50P

Steve Rea

Steve Rea Plus

Sorry l am new to all this , l have a VG20 and want to do some short movie stuff and documentary , can you tell me what settings l should be using and what is the difference between 50i and 50 p l know p means progressive but what difference is that to my video look

Craig Marshall

Craig Marshall

Shoot 50P where possible at a shutter speed of 100th if you have the light. 50P has twice the resolution of 50i but for more info on the technical differences, I suggest you search wikipedia.

Steve Rea

Steve Rea Plus

thanks..can you suggest a good shoulder rig and or stedicam suitable for the VG20

Craig Marshall

Craig Marshall

I have built a very good counter-balanced shoulder rig so it has changed somewhat since the photos in the clip were shot. I still have the basic 15mm rails fitted to the bottom of the camera, with a matte box for 4"x4" glass filters, pistol grip and a follow focus wheel. This rig by itself is fast, light and very stable. However, for longer 'off tripod' shoots, I have built up a custom shoulder rig which I can attach to the back of the camera by connecting it to the existing 15mm rails. The shoulder mount is 'counter balanced' and consists of a 'Z riser', 400mm rails with 'top handle' and padded shoulder rest, another Z-riser and a lead weight. The latter 'counter balances' the weight of the camera rig so it is perfectly balanced on my shoulder. This combination is quite heavy so works very well indeed as the entire rig has the 'mass' to keep pictures very smooth, especially when I'm shooting with Sony's new 16-50mm servo zoom lens attached to the VG20. search ebay under 'dslr'

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.

This is a Vimeo Group. Groups allow you to create mini communities around the things you like. Check out other interesting groups. Groups