Vimeo Weekend Challenge

Weekend Challenge Ideas

Cameron Christopher

Cameron Christopher Staff

Hey everybody!

One of my favorite things to do is come up with Challenge ideas, but collaboration is magnificent. We'd love to hear your ideas, so reply below with an idea, or extrapolate on other members' ideas! Remember that these projects need to be completed in about 4-5 days, and shouldn't usually be longer than 2 minutes.

Thanks!

Lyndon Lorenz

Lyndon Lorenz Plus

I've recently gotten into using historic resources (public domain or CC-licensed) with contemporary footage to show my home town, and how it's changed and endured over time: vimeo.com/album/2078768 ...Maybe a challenge could be to look up your town or area on the Library of Congress (loc.gov/pictures/) and create a short story based on archival material remixed with sound and new footage...it's been very rewarding for me, and I've learned more about the places I pass every day

Morinaga Kuni

Morinaga Kuni

I think the challenges are good but the topics are often a bit to broad, i think i speak for more than myself when i say that it would be interesting if they could be a little more specific! Also that reduces the risk for people just reusing their footage. Just my 2 cents.

Cameron Christopher

Good point, Erik! We try to find a balance between a too-broad topic and something so detailed that it seems overwhelming. This weekend was a simple project, but would need to be edited in a certain way to make sense for the project. Let me know if you have any ideas!

ARTZFILMZ.

ARTZFILMZ.

Tonelf 1 week ago
hi, do you have a editing challenge in the future? everyone uses the same footage and music to create different films, it will be interesting too! thank you!

Cameron Christopher STAFF 1 week ago
We've done it in the past, and I'm sure we'll do it in the future!

- This is a great idea! But the footage is already made by anybody, and you only have to edit the footage on your own way...

Cameron Christopher

Yep, I stand by what I said. We've used stuff from archive.org, and we could dip into Creative Commons content on the site for some really creative content. It's definitely in the works!

ARTZFILMZ.

ARTZFILMZ.

I'm excited! ; )

(Is there a minimum age to join the challenge? I'm only thirteen...)

Cameron Christopher

Hey there,

You must be at least 13 years old to use the Vimeo Service. If you are at least 13, but are still a minor (this depends on where you live), you must have your parent or legal guardian's permission to use the Vimeo Service. Please have him or her read this Agreement with you: vimeo.com/terms

Then you're in the clear!

Galen Leeds

Galen Leeds Plus

Or perhaps a challenge where everyone uses the same audio (but can mix or remix it in different ways) but must then come up with video to go with the audio.

Craig Snedeker

Craig Snedeker

What about a video where we have to shoot out a moving car or another moving vehicle?

Pat Boberg

Pat Boberg

How about a super wide shot challenge. I'm a big fan of the establishing shots in the show White Collar on USA, it really shows off external NY shots. I think a cool challenge would be to shoot everything in landscape sized shots. No close ups, no mediums. Just huge shots. Tell a story, show action, make something interesting.

Bia Kiss

Bia Kiss

It would be interesting to exercise the creativity to film your home-work-home path. No big deal, some short scenes on interesting and subtle things that cross our way. We get so used to take the same way everyday to go to work and back, that sometimes curious details are forgotten..

Cameron Christopher

Hey Bia, we've done this before, and it's definitely interesting how keeping a camera with you helps you to notice the details of your commute. Definitely worth trying again.

PeterEighty

PeterEighty

Something to do with food (cooking/preparing a meal/drink/coffee)?

Cameron Christopher

We just did a recipe video recently -- what other projects or constraints would you suggest for a food theme?

Joseph Jolton

Joseph Jolton Plus

I'd love something having to do with audio - post-production or effects, or creative location sound. I haven't seen a project involving sound.

Cameron Christopher

Joseph, I agree! We are careful to create Challenges that work for a majority of creators, so we probably wouldn't get into anything too tricky, but a focus on sound would be interesting. Any concept ideas?

Joseph Jolton

Joseph Jolton Plus

There's an exercise I have my filmmaking class do - they can shoot anything they want, but they can't use any camera audio. All audio in their films has to be added in post (the way animators do it). Sounds can be realistic, fantastic, or a mix, but they have to feel believable and students have to mind all of the possible sources of sound in a shot and address them. Would that make for a good Vimeo Weekend Project?

BTW, I use the Weekend Projects as a source of ideas for my class assignments. Hope you guys don't mind :-)

Aria

Aria

I second this motion! The challenges have been so focused on the visuals, when 2/3 of the experience is the sound design.

Cameron Christopher

Joseph, that sounds like a great project! Aria, I agree that sound has a large part to play, but our Challenges are probably biased towards video just because of the nature of the website ;) I'll definitely add this idea to the list.

Peabody Wormsworth

Peabody Wormsworth

Here are some things I would like to try:
1. film a kiss or kissing.
2. macro only video
3. no tripod video and include selfy shots (shooting self at arms length)
4. slow motion emotion. (shots of expression only)
5. film focussing on hands (or any other single body part)

Darryl Ahye

Darryl Ahye

Here are some Ideas:
1. A film shot Upside down
2.A film done in reverse
3. One line of dialogue only
4. Low angle only
5. Dream scene
6. Silhouette/Shadow project
7. A Mockumentary project
8. One point perspective project

Sarah Gibson

Sarah Gibson Plus

A few of my favorites that I give my students:

- 7 Shots (a log line (example- someone lost something) that must be explored in 7 shots or less)
- Continuous Action (film someone doing repetitive action and edit it together with a variety of shots using classical film editing techniques)
- Mood Piece (convey a mood without dialogue)
-Twisted Trailer (take a Hollywood movie and twist the genre and create a trailer (example- trailer for Mary Poppins as a Horror film- legal under fair use laws)

PeterEighty

PeterEighty

These are great Sarah. Do you have any more you could suggest?

Lucas Pascal

Lucas Pascal

My idea is not for a challenge, but it's for the 'Group' itself.
I think the Weekend Challenge could have an easier way to find all the challenges and respective winners and entries.
I don't know, maybe a section named "Last week's challenge and winner" on Video School or something like that :)

Anyway, I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say.
Cheers!

Cameron Christopher

Hey Lucas,
I agree! We're jamming on some ideas like this, and hopefully we'll see some changes in the not-too-distant future that make the Group a much easier place to navigate :) Thanks for the input!

Studio_Wigry

Studio_Wigry

Hi, my suggestion is one or two minutes: working man

Taunt Jarman

Taunt Jarman

I like that fact that you allow others to imagine what to make so with simple words and what they can come up with, I think that helps them achieve greater in their video and production.
Subjects like Dark Gloom, or Lust, are awesome because its not specific, its a subject to which it can be anything but how you interpret it is how you will make the video to submit.
I think maybe next one could be Enable. Yeah, means to turn on but for others, could be to start something new, something big or even to do something different from the daily routine.

Just saying. Cant wait for the next one. Hopefully I will have time to actually do some of it.

Nicola Tan

Nicola Tan

Hello! My suggestion is a vlog of your day in a creative style, not simply bubbling on at the camera :)

Bastien Colmard

Bastien Colmard

Hi everyone, I love the Vimeo challenges, and even if I don't always have the time to participate, I enjoy watching the winners and runners up in the morning ;)
I love the videos "LEARN", "EAT" and "MOVE", what about illustrating a word, spelling it. Or Illustrate an environmental fact? The idea of promoting helmets is very good, another idea would be to promote bicycling, healthy food, etc. Maybe it has been done before, or it is too close.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to new challenges

TortillaVideo

TortillaVideo

Whoever has the pleasure of watching all the entries is going to have a seizure this week. :D
I guess Santa brings you epilepsy this year.

Just be careful ;)

Happy Holidays!

nosheep

nosheep

I would love to see more challenges that are narrative in nature, rather than experimental. I can't be the only one here looking to hone my storytelling skills with short projects! :)

Mariangelica Forero

Mariangelica Forero Plus

Short idea.
Make a 2 minute documentary about something specific.
History of a person's life.
A parade or protest
Someone working at a charity and why.
in 2 minutes you should establish who the person is, what they mission/goal is or story is and a closing or open ended question that makes the viewer think.

Some other ideas of the same:
Make the video based on a stranger or someone you don't know well to learn more about their passion.
etc

just thinking out loud

Cameron Christopher

Definitely a good idea, Mariangelica! It would be nice to lay out some typical documentary formats, and a few tips and tricks.

Mariangelica Forero

Mariangelica Forero Plus

Thanks Cameron, I think in general, I've never tried to make a short doc-like film so getting introduced to tips on how to go about it from a weekend project would be a nice and simpler start for me... and others i'm sure.

Alex Barker

Alex Barker Plus

How about a scene recreation from a classic film? In school, my classmates and I used to take old scripts and re-film the scene in a particular way for class. Could be obscure, could be well-known. Was a fun way to understand the pacing of scenes, and all the while gave the production something to flex their creativity.

Also, given the timing of the American film award season (SAG, Oscars, Sundance, etc) - this would be a timely project.

Marcos Tavares

Marcos Tavares

Hello Alex! I totally agree with you. I think that a recreation from a film is a good idea. I only think that it does not necessarily need to be a classic. It can be any film.

Alex Barker

Alex Barker Plus

I agree! Any film I think would be great. 'Film scene re-creation weekend'. Has a nice ring to it.

Nandu Chitnis

Nandu Chitnis Plus

My suggestion

a) Consider challenges for beginner level guys like me
b) Revive old challenges.I joined Vimeo recently.
c) Thanks to these challenges, my skills are are getting better..

Thank you

Cameron Christopher

a) Lots, if not most of our Challenges are perfect for Beginners. It's up the the Intermediate and Pro folks to push themselves to create new work for seemingly simple projects :)
b) We've been doing lots of that lately, so I'm sure we'll keep it up!
c) That's so great to hear!

Nandu Chitnis

Nandu Chitnis Plus

Hello, only 5 entries for the latest week end challenge?

Nandu Chitnis

Nandu Chitnis Plus

The ideations here are brilliant. I can see some great challenges ahead this year!

Nandu Chitnis

Nandu Chitnis Plus

Ouch....I did not win :-) But I had predicted the winner...and he won !! "My Parents " in Greece !!

Marcus Steenhoven

Marcus Steenhoven

How about a 'Near-silent' short film...I'm thinking abstract Videos with Soundscapes no Louder than -24db(or some other appropriate level ) to see how people use subtle sounds to create big effects

IanGregory

IanGregory

How about a 30-90 second spot about a favorite product or service?
The commercial could be about something real or made up.

fine herbal incense

fine herbal incense

I like this idea, especially if the products can be real or made up. Leaves it up to the poster to be extra creative.

Brendon Hargreaves

Brendon Hargreaves

Where can I keep up to date about the latest weekend challenges?

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.

This is a Vimeo Group. Groups allow you to create mini communities around the things you like. Check out other interesting groups. Groups