WorldCycle Videos

Your tips on the best video gear to use while cycle touring?

LRH (LDC)

LRH (LDC)

I would be interested in hearing about anything folks have to offer regarding the video gear they use while touring. Gear could include cameras, tripods, laptop/video editors, to battery chargers, etc.

Currently I am looking for an ultra light, rock solid, yet versitile tripod. Any suggestions?

Blanche

Blanche

Hi LRH (LDC) .... nice name ;-)

How good your film will be doesn't depend on your camera or editing program. Your creativity and the way you look into this world will.Even the smallest and cheapest (video/photo)camera's nowadays are fine to film with and can manage HD footage. I have seen some amazing films shot by mobile telephones. The thing to remember wit HD footage is that you will need stabilization - a tripod or on your camera or editing program. I use a cheap lightweight under a kilo & foldable till 45 cm tripod from Manfrotto. If you want to spend more money you can buy a titanium tripod which is even more lightweight.
For me a lightweight small camera is pro. Lately I started interviewing people too. So it should have good stabilization as I want to move around to film. If the camera is small and lightweight it is also not so in their faces and people will behave more naturally, it's easier to get out & shoot at those special one second moments. For me the camera shouldn't be to difficult to handle as I wanna be busy & involved with my subject and not with technics. Currently I'm using a Canon HF 100 video camera but I will get a non mirror system camera - the Panasonic GH2 or even the GH3. And will invest in a good point mic. and buttonhole mic with some dead cat cover. If you want to edit on the road a macbook air or better pro is a good option as the mac is brilliant for doing creative stuff. Don't get the smallest macbook or laptop as you need some screen space for editing.

Hope this helps. When can we expect a video from you? ;-)

LRH (LDC)

LRH (LDC)

Hi Blanche. Thanks for the ideas. With all the folks posting cycling videos here I'm hoping that we might see some interesting alternatives or light weight applications. Here's one thing that I have found very useful...

I use a Trek-Tech Optimount kit which is a compact mounting clamp system. It will clamp to some parts of a bike frame (large diameter MTB frames are too large) and any other clamp-able surface. I have even made temporary tripods out of branches and used them to clamp this camera mount to. Here’s a link to the manufacturer’s web page trek-tech.com/

Slow Puncture

Slow Puncture

Hi guys,

Late reply on this thread but we're about to start our cycle tour and are fully intending to take photos, film and edit on the go so thought we'd share our kitlist with you. We're film-makers and photographers in our jobs but looked for a lightweight and low-profile solution for this and decided on:

- Panasonic GH1
- 3 Lumix lenses
- Intervalometer (as the GH1 doesn't have timelapse or long exposure modes built in)
- Slik 340DX travel tripod
- iPad mini with Pinnacle Studio, Frame Lab and Photoshop Express

Sure, a GH2 or 3 would have been awesome but we are on a budget and also the GH1 shoots in a codec that the iPad can read (it can't read AVCHD but it can read motionJPEG). We tested this combination the other day and came back with the following video - not particularly cycling oriented just yet but we're off soon so watch this space!

Cheers, Seb and Kate

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.

This is a Vimeo Group. Groups allow you to create mini communities around the things you like. Check out other interesting groups. Groups