Life. Nature. You. Make the connection. / Forum

Murmuration - Breaking Competition Rules

James Berk

James Berk

I just heard about this turnaround. There were some behind-the-scenes emails flying around last night, after which I received the following email last night from Nigel, one of the wWF moderators:

"We have recently become aware of the fact that 'Murmuration' is ineligible as it does violate our Terms & Conditions"

So I can understand your frustration.

R Fiander

R Fiander

I agree. This is grossly unfair.

Day's Edge Productions

Day's Edge Productions PRO

Myles, even if Murmuration stays in the competition, I'm not convinced you're in any trouble... the WWF rules state clearly that "The other winner will be chosen by peers who make up the Vimeo Group." So (if they actually stick to their stated policy) votes from outside the WWF competition group won't count. I suspect most of Murmuration's "likes" come from outside the group, since it's gone viral over the last couple of days.
BTW, I love your film, Myles!

Creative Playground

Creative Playground Plus

Myles, you dont have to take care about that! dont waste your time, keep your energy for your video projects.
we made this video for the vibe, we had a good time with friends in the countryside to marvel at this free show and eternal evolution...

I understand what you can feel but seriously my friend! your film is good and what is important is that people take pleasure in watching!

Peace Myles.

The CP crew!

R Fiander

R Fiander

Good points but it is important that the organisers treat individuals with respect - so they should really stick to the terms and conditions and not upset people by constantly changing their minds. Let's look at the facts: Murmuration was originally made for another competition, where it already achieved success. They picked up an award, cut it shorter, and now they're due to pick up another award for almost exactly the same thing. While everyone else goes to the trouble of coming up with an original film (thereby following the competition rules).

I can totally relate to Myles' frustration. Give the man a break!

Nyala Productions

Nyala Productions

I agree too, what Cp did is just not very normal fair...is an award not enough);)

valdi99

valdi99

I haven't seen previous version of "Murmuration" that won another competition, but - if it's the same movie, only shortened to follow 2 min. limit - it violates the Terms & Conditions that we all have followed! I have no doubts. Also, if I red correctly: "Murmuration" was already eliminated from the WWF competition therefore and... now is back! Is this how it should be? Hmm...

WWF

WWF

Hi everyone,

Any video that we feel does not abide by the T&Cs will not be eligible for a prize. The situation is fluid right now regarding the status of some entries. Sorry for any confusion but we have decided to hold off making any final calls on removing videos from the group until we have all of the facts.

We are working hard to be fair to the whole community and respect everyone involved.

Also note that as per the T&Cs, WWF does have final say in who ultimately wins the competition.

Thanks for your understanding!
Team WWF

R Fiander

R Fiander

OK let's see how fair the outcome is!

James Berk

James Berk

Of course the WWF has the final say - but for all those who strictly followed the T&Cs, allowing a film to compete that doesn't follow the rules is a major slap in the face.

Mark Rasmussen

Mark Rasmussen

I'm a co-producer of Beauty is Everywhere (an original film) in this comp and totally agree with Myles but I'd also like to take it further. More importantly why hasn't the WWF removed films which go over the 2 minute limit (a breach of the rules), along with non-English subtitles (another breach), as well as others which would not have cleared their music rights (one more breach). Surely the WWF should have (after competition closed) spent 1-2 days removing those ineligible films from competition before a peer voting count took place. Just my 2 cents worth.

For what it's worth Myles, I think yours will win the judging vote even though I think mine is pretty good. :)

Nigel Allan

Nigel Allan

Films that breach T&Cs are in the process of being removed. We will add them back to the group once voting is closed.

Mark Rasmussen

Mark Rasmussen

Nigel, why are these three still in the group for people to vote on? 'Murmuration', 'Ведрусское поселение Родовых Поместий России "Живая картина" ' and 'Садхана (SADHANA final video version)'. One is disqualified (Murmuration) while the other two run over the allowed two minute duration. The last one goes for 26 mins. 26 MINUTES! They're all on the first page of most viewed. Just curious.

Joe Morris

Joe Morris

Well said Mark, I would also add for those of you not following other threads- PEER VOTING SHOULD BE FOR PEERS. A peer is a person with a film entered in this competition period.

valdi99

valdi99

English is not my native language but I always had an impression that PEER is not only the watcher but also somebody "equal" - with the same rights, on a same level, belonging to the same group etc. Am I right? If so - all the likes given by those from outside this group and/or did not send their competing video - shouldn't count. But description of this group says: for the popular choice prize ANYONE can vote for a film...

Fabián Rincón

Fabián Rincón

las reglas deben ser estrictas, y es responsabilidad de los organizadores garantizar esto, hay vídeos que usan imágenes de archivo, y muchos que no fueron creados exclusivamente para esta competencia, y también estoy de acuerdo con el numero de votos tenidos en cuenta deberían ser los que se obtuvieron dela fecha del cierre hasta le día limite.

James Berk

James Berk

The above comment was just deleted by one of the moderators (I'm not quite sure why because there was nothing offensive about it) - but I've used Google translate for a rough translation:

"rules should be stricter, and it is the responsibility of the organizers to ensure this. There are videos that use stock footage, and many that were not created exclusively for this competition. I also agree that the number of votes should be taken into account that were obtained after the deadline"

It was written by Fabián Rincón.

WWF

WWF

We haven't deleted any comments. Maybe the user deleted.

PRO SHARE MEDIA

PRO SHARE MEDIA

I think you're very fired up.. someone had chance, other had possibility.. life it's not fair at all.. think green, live free.. be on top! Good luck to everybody!

Mark Rasmussen

Mark Rasmussen

Can someone also please tell me why people are allowed to make amendments to their films even after the competition has closed? 'Life Calls Out To Us', 'Murmuration' and 'Missed Call' have all done this. Seems unsportsmanlike and not right either.

Ogun Caglayan Turkay

Ogun Caglayan Turkay

I wrote to under my video Mr. Rasmussen but I think you don't read this. My video lost from a technical problem. (I changed some video settings, writings etc. in my video page and this problem took place.) Should not be a problem this is for you but because I think there's a "real problem" for me: I lost a day for new adding somethings (like a long pending situation) etc. Regards...

Mark Brennan

Mark Brennan

Myles, its out of your hands, but know that your video is great, that your integrity - if you win, or not - will still be intact. The point is you made the film for the right reason, if the wwf are true to their word and also have integrity, the right things will happen. If not, there are other films and competitions with just as important issues waiting to be made.

R Fiander

R Fiander

Something very suspicious just occurred.

The site that showed the awards Murmuration won has since been edited.

One of the group members just forwarded this to me:

"They have removed all references to the awards they have won, changed the dates and added text claiming that the film was made specifically for the WWF competition"

James Berk
valdi99

valdi99

Well find. Lets wait for WWF verdict...

liberty smith

liberty smith Plus

A year ago we made a film that is nearly 8 mins long - and it is a story told in 3 parts. It was created as an experimental triptych - with the first part evoking a peaceful lullaby state, the second part leads the audience on a mysterious journey around an unexplored island, and the third part reveals the mystery of the inhabitants of the island - with the only camera that still had some battery left - a basic handy-cam.

For clarification: due to the suprising response and potential confusion we have changed the name of a previous film which was also named Murmuration, which is now called Island. It is not the same film. (We just recycled the name)

This we entered into the London Short film festival (LSFF) and from there got taken as part of the LSFF selection to the Perth International film festival and Branchage festival, and shown as part of a contemporary art exhibition in a gallery for a week. All of this information can be found on our website islandsandrivers.co.uk

We entered a new film into 'Life. Nature. You. Make the connection.' WWF competition, that we hoped we might be able to "inspire people to love, value and protect the natural world", as the brief was looking for. It is an original video, that uses our footage in a new and and original way - which was created specifically for the competition. The video piece we made has "never been produced for compensation or published previously on a public website or transmission."

We love being a part of this competition; the other entries are fantastic, the concept behind the competition is something we support wholeheartedly, and we would never want to contravene a competition's terms and conditions or upset other filmmakers and after reading them thoroughly many times and seeking advice we do not believe that we have.

Sophie and I are both filmmakers that truly love our craft and are passionate about making films - we hope that this clears up any misunderstandings.

We have no idea who has won, so Good luck to everyone!

Liberty and Sophie

R Fiander

R Fiander

You can try to wriggle out of this controversy but essentially - reusing footage submitted to another competition is just one of the many issues the other filmmakers in this group have taken pains to avoid for fear of breaching the rules. It's not really fair on the others, however you present the case - and you clearly have upset many of the others in the group by attempting to twist the rules to your own advantage so you can attempt to collect a prize. In any case, it doesn't even look like this short was made specifically for the competition.

Joe Morris

Joe Morris

The WWF moderators have really dropped the ball here. When you run a competition you have to enforce the rules and ensure fairness. Those entries that break the rules should have been removed from voting. There are many entrants with more than two entries, entries that run over two minutes, entries that have been recycled from other competitions, copyright violations and so forth. Leaving them in for voting even if they are eventually disqualified just causes confusion. It is unprofessional and unfortunately reflects badly on the WWF as a whole, the last thing any of us wants. I hope that next time a competition like this is run the WWF can learn from this, I certainly have. I am a firm supporter of the WWF and will continue to be.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.

This is a Vimeo Group. Groups allow you to create mini communities around the things you like. Check out other interesting groups. Groups