After years of working 70-80 hours a week at jobs that paid the bills but brought no joy, a serious illness made me realize that I felt like the proverbial "hole in the donut" - solid on the outside, but empty on the inside. A year later, fully recovered, I abandoned my career and home to travel around the world for six months. As I searched for joy and meaning in my life, I documented my journey on my blog, HoleInTheDonut.com, and soon realized that the only things that had ever made me happy were travel, photography and writing.
Nearly five years later, I am still traveling and writing about my experiences on my blog, which has become one of the top independent travel blogs in the world. At the end of 2009, realizing that it was foolish to keep an apartment with the amount of time I was spending on the road, I sold or gave away my remaining furniture and housewares, stored my few personal mementos, and embarked on a life of perpetual travel. These days, I travel 10-11 months per year, returning to the States once or twice a year to visit friends and family.
- Hole In The Donut Travel Blog - Discovering the world, one culture at a time
- Hole In The Donut on Facebook - Facebook Page
- Hole In The Donut on Google+ - Google+ Profile
- Hole In The Donut on Pinterest - Pinterest
- SmugMug Slideshows - Travel slideshows
- SmugMug Daily Photos - Large format travel photos