Occupation: Software developer.
Interests: Cinema - the theory and practice of how films are made - most especially film editing. Filming & editing my own films. Traveling the world with my wife Marilyn. Writing software.
Favorite Books & Authors: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (the 56 Sherlock Holmes short stories & the 4 novels) Douglas Adams (Hitchhikers's Guide to the Galaxy & the Dirk Gently stories) Bill Bryson (The Lost Continent, Mother Tongue, Made in America, Notes From a Small Island)
Favorite directors & films:
- Francis Ford Coppola (The Conversation, Apocalypse Now, One From the Heart);
- Federico Fellini (La Dolce Vita, 8 1/2, Juliet of the Spirits);
- John Frankenheimer (The [original] Manchurian Candidate, Seven Days in May, Seconds, Ronin, Grand Prix);
- Carol Reed (The Third Man);
- Alfred Hitchcock (North By Northwest, Vertigo, Rear Window);
- Orson Welles (Citizen Kane, Touch of Evil);
- Stanley Kubrick (Dr. Strangelove, 2001 A Space Odyssey, Paths of Glory);
- David Lean (Bridge Over the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, A Passage to India);
- Akira Kurosawa (Kagemusha, Seven Samurai, Sanjuro, Yojimbo);
- Bob Fosse (All That Jazz);
- Ingmar Bergman (The Seventh Seal);
- Takeshi Kitano (Zatoichi, Dolls);
- Martin Scorsese (Taxi Driver);
- Godfrey Reggio (Koyanisqqatsi, Powaqqatsi, Nakoiqqatsi);
- Robert J. Flaherty (Louisiana Story);
- Dziga Vertov (Man With The Movie Camera).
Favorite Music & Artists: John Lee Hooker, Blues, Zydeco. Music from many of the films listed above especially that by Bernard Herman and Philip Glass.