KAREKEZI Joel, in 2008 got a Diploma certificate in film directing (CINECOURS from Quebec in CANADA: cinecours.com). In 2009 he attended Maisha film lab in screenwriting and after the course he directed his short film THE PARDON, which won THE GOLDEN IMPALA AWARD at AMAKULA FILM FESTIVAL in UGANDA. In 2009 it screened at Kenya International film festival, and in 2010 it screened at Zanzibar International film festival, Durban International film festival, Images that matter short film festival in Ethiopia, and Silicon Valley African Film Festival in California where it won THE 2010 BEST SHORT FILM AWARD. In 2010 he participated in THE BERLINALE TALENT CAMPUS in Germany.
I was working with Columbia University and Maisha Film Lab Mentorship on my feature script THE PARDON from April-October 2010.
In May 2011, I was part of mentors during the MAISHA FILM LAB here in RWANDA.
I am starting my production company in Rwanda (KAREKEZI FILM PRODUCTION) with the purpose of making good African films which will be shown all over the world and for worldwide distribution.
Recently I won an award at FILMMART 2011 to participate into THE ROTTERDAM LAB 2012 and I am in post-production of my feature film THE PARDON, you can watch the trailer on this link: vimeo.com/26957186
FILMOGRAPHY of the Director JOEL KAREKEZI
- 2009: THE PARDON (Writer & Director13 Minutes)
- 2010-2011: Writer & Director of the feature film THE PARDON
- 2010: Worked on the story of a feature script 30 EGGS by EOIN J.O’CONNOR
- 2011: MOTJ written by JOEL KAREKEZI & CASEY SCHROEN, a feature script based in Congo
- 2010: NTUKAZIME NARAROKOTSE (Writer, Director and Producer)
- 2010: SURVIVOR (Writer, Director and Producer)
- 2009: LES JEUNES A LA POURSUITES DU TRAVAIL (Writer, Director and Producer)