Video 101: Trimming & Cutting with Windows Live Movie Maker
Now that you've got your files on your computer and into a timeline in Windows Live Movie Maker, it's time to begin editing. Woo!
You can drag the files around in the timeline to set the order you'd like. This will help you create a coherent storyline and help you rearrange the video clips into the order you want. If you want to cut a clip, or shorten it, click on the place on the clip where you want to cut and a line will appear where you clicked. You can then click 'Edit' and use the 'Trim' or 'Split' tool to perform the action of your choice. Play around, anything you do can be reversed and you never edit the actual original video files, just copies of them.
If you choose trim, you can then choose your start and end points in the preview window on the left using the play bar below the video. Choose 'Save Trim' to save your changes. This tool is helpful to sort of trim the fat at the beginning and end of clips, or if there is a mistake, in the middle of a clip. It's easy to just cut it right out!
- Drag clips around in the timeline to put them in the order you want
- To cut a clip, click where in the clip you want to cut and use the 'Trim' or 'Split' tool
- Make sure your clips are nice and tight with no extra footage leftover that you don't want
Continue to the next step, Editing Sound and Music
- Video 101: Exporting to share on Vimeo with Windows Live Movie Maker
Exporting your video is the final step before you upload your video to Vimeo. It's…
- Video 101: Adding text & titles with Windows Live Movie Maker
Text and titles can be added to your videos to create title cards, credits and…
- Video 101: Adding transitions & effects with Windows Live Movie Maker
Transitions and effects in moderation can really make your video pop! These can…
- Video 101: Editing Sound & Music with Windows Live Movie Maker
You can edit the sound in your videos and add music to create a more dynamic feel…
- Video 101: Trimming & Cutting with Windows Live Movie Maker
This lesson covers the basics of editing a video together in Windows Live Movie…
- Video 101: Importing your videos with Windows Live Movie Maker
One of the first steps to editing a video is getting that footage into your editing…
- Video 101: Editing with Windows Live Movie Maker
It's time to learn the basics of editing. If you're on a PC, you can…
This lesson covers the basics of editing a video together in Windows Live Movie Maker. It's not that hard, I promise.
New to Video School? Read our Frequently Asked Questions.
Browse by Category
Submit Your Tutorial
Most of the video tutorials in our Video School lessons come from Vimeo members. If you have a tutorial you'd like to share, please submit it here.