Video 101: Editing Sound & Music with Windows Live Movie Maker
Paying attention to sound can really make or break your video. You can edit the sound in your videos and add music to create a more dynamic feel and add a little extra emotion. Don't underestimate the power of sound. Try watching the scariest movie you can think of with the sound off just to see how much of the emotions you feel come from what you hear. See, pretty crazy.
Click on 'Video Tools' in the menu bar and there you can choose to alter your video volume as a whole, or to fade in and out between clips. Abrupt changes in sound can sometimes be distracting to your viewer so to help the flow, you'll sometimes want to add some fades. You can also choose 'Add Music' under the home tab to select music to add to your video. Once you add music, you can use the 'Music Tools' menu to alter it just as you can with your video's audio, including the main audio level as well as fades. If you're making a silent film, then this section does not apply to you. (I'm looking at you, Charlie Chaplin).
- Great sound can really heighten the emotion in your video
- Use the audio level tool to make the sound higher or lower
- Use the fade tool to transition easily between sounds
- Add music to your video for a more dynamic feel
- Watch as your video comes to life!
Continue to the next step, Adding transitions and effects
- Video 101: Exporting to share on Vimeo with Windows Live Movie Maker
Exporting your video is the final step before you upload your video to Vimeo. It's…
- Video 101: Adding text & titles with Windows Live Movie Maker
Text and titles can be added to your videos to create title cards, credits and…
- Video 101: Adding transitions & effects with Windows Live Movie Maker
Transitions and effects in moderation can really make your video pop! These can…
- Video 101: Editing Sound & Music with Windows Live Movie Maker
You can edit the sound in your videos and add music to create a more dynamic feel…
- Video 101: Trimming & Cutting with Windows Live Movie Maker
This lesson covers the basics of editing a video together in Windows Live Movie…
- Video 101: Importing your videos with Windows Live Movie Maker
One of the first steps to editing a video is getting that footage into your editing…
- Video 101: Editing with Windows Live Movie Maker
It's time to learn the basics of editing. If you're on a PC, you can…
You can edit the sound in your videos and add music to create a more dynamic feel to your videos and add a little extra emotion. Let's learn how!
New to Video School? Read our Frequently Asked Questions.
Browse by Category
Submit Your Tutorial
Most of the video tutorials in our Video School lessons come from Vimeo members. If you have a tutorial you'd like to share, please submit it here.