Video 101: Adding transitions & effects with Windows Live Movie Maker
Transitions and effects used in moderation can really make your video pop! These elements can take an otherwise boring and flat video to the next level. But don't go overboard, too much of either of these things can make your video look cheesy. And there's enough of those videos on other sites ;)
Transitions can help the flow between clips. You can add fades, wipes and other animated movements to help bridge the gap between tow videos you are editing together. Transitions are added by choosing 'Animations' in the top menu bar and then clicking the white space between two clips and then clicking on your transition of choice. Place your mouse over each transition thumbnail to preview it before your commit. Again, play around with a few transitions that you like, but a standard one we recommend is the 'Cross Fade'.
Effects can greatly alter the look and feel of your video. You can add effects by selecting the clip of your choice, choosing 'Visual effects' and then clicking on the effect you want. Just like transitions, placing your mouse over each effect thumbnail will give you a preview of what your clip will look like. Don't add any effects if it's unnecessary, only if you feel it adds something great to your video.
- Transitions help the flow between clips
- A simple fade in and out will usually look great
- You don't always need transition between every clip
- Place your mouse over transitions and effects to preview them
- Don't add effects just because you can, only add them if appropriate
Continue to the next step, Adding Text and Titles
- Video 101: Exporting to share on Vimeo with Windows Live Movie Maker
Exporting your video is the final step before you upload your video to Vimeo. It's…
- Video 101: Adding text & titles with Windows Live Movie Maker
Text and titles can be added to your videos to create title cards, credits and…
- Video 101: Adding transitions & effects with Windows Live Movie Maker
Transitions and effects in moderation can really make your video pop! These can…
- Video 101: Editing Sound & Music with Windows Live Movie Maker
You can edit the sound in your videos and add music to create a more dynamic feel…
- Video 101: Trimming & Cutting with Windows Live Movie Maker
This lesson covers the basics of editing a video together in Windows Live Movie…
- Video 101: Importing your videos with Windows Live Movie Maker
One of the first steps to editing a video is getting that footage into your editing…
- Video 101: Editing with Windows Live Movie Maker
It's time to learn the basics of editing. If you're on a PC, you can…
Transitions and effects in moderation can really make your video pop! These can take an otherwise boring and flat video the next level. Let's learn how!
New to Video School? Read our Frequently Asked Questions.
Browse by Category
Submit Your Tutorial
Most of the video tutorials in our Video School lessons come from Vimeo members. If you have a tutorial you'd like to share, please submit it here.