Study 4 of 13 on The Teachings of Jesus
“Someone once said….”All religions tell you what you need to do for God….But Christianity is the only one that tells you what God has done for you”…and in that one most sacrificial act is the very definition of Salvation.”--Falvo Fowler
Scriptural Basis: Matt. 20:28; Luke 15:3–10; 18:9–14; John 6:35, 44, 47–51; 8:34–36.
Key Text: “ ‘God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life’ ” (John 3:16, NKJV).
1. Why do you suppose John 3:16 has become the most widely known verse in Scripture?
2. What does John 3:16 say about the origin of our salvation?
3. What illustrations did Jesus use to indicate that He was going to die as a Substitute for us?
4. How does Christ’s death on the cross reveal God’s justice?
5. How does Christ’s death on the cross reveal God’s mercy?
6. Salvation is a gift, which means that it’s free. At the same time, does it not cost something?