This was the second time that I dined at the Ramen Shop in Oakland, Calif., and I will keep coming back for more. It's definitely worth the trip to the East Bay.
This past Sunday, the wait was about 30 minutes, so my fiance, Mike, and I went around the neighborhood, which is the nicer part of Oakland bordering Berkeley. There are other great bars and restaurants to try around there.
Back to the Ramen Shop...
We started off with some drinks:
- I ordered the "Broken Flower" cocktail, which was made of Tequila Reposado, Cynar, lime, grapefruit, cinnamon, and Angostura Bitters. Overall, I would give the drink a 7 out of 10 (on a scale of 1-10, 1 being the yucky and 10 being so very yummy).
- Mike ordered the Tahoe Mtn Brewing Hop Song IPA. I give it an 8. The Ramen Shop has a tasty selection of beers, and even has a section on their menu for sour beer! I give that 10 -- super yum yum!
Then came the ramen:
- I ordered the Shoyu Ramen [CORRECTION]. Which had a clear shoyu broth and cashu pork. It was very good. I'll give it an 8.
- Mike's bowl stood out! Ginger Miso Ramen [CORRECTION], it was one of the best ramen we've ever had. I would say, it would be a 9. What made it stand out was its creamy tasting broth with ground pork belly. We both felt like the shrimp was subpar compared to the rest of the dish, but hey, we're not complaining! As you can see in the video, I tried to steal the bowl from him, but Mike only let me have it for one minute. We also ordered an extra egg, because their spiced egg is out of this world.
- Mike also ordered a second beer -- this time, a sour, which I give a 10 out of 10, because it was THAT good. We believe it was the Almanac beer, though we can't remember for sure. It was a $7 glass.
Service was about an 8.5.
The Ramen Shop is definitely a place we'll keep coming back to! Also, take note that the menu changes DAILY. Please excuse my mistakes, I had mislabeled the ramen choices on this video. I'm still figuring out this way of reviewing experiences.
If you like this style of experience and restaurant reviewing, please follow ArabellaLABS on Vimeo.