Study 8 of 13 on The Teachings of Jesus
“When a local pastor moved on, the attendance at that church dropped. People moved to other churches in the area. We often do that. But the church is more than the personality in front, it is more than the music programs…it is more than any definition that we can give it. It is a living, breathing, body of believers that comes together in palpable worship of Him who called us to be one…his church…together…for Him…and no human body.” – Falvo Fowler
Scriptural Basis: Deut. 32:4; Ps. 28:1; Matt. 5:23, 24; 7:1–5; 18:15–18; John 15:1–5; 17.
Key Text: “ ‘I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word; that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me’ ” (John 17:20, 21, NKJV).
1. Why is it important to know that the church, as imperfect at it may be, is founded upon Christ Himself?
2. What is the basis for the unity that Jesus prayed about for His church?
3. How can Jesus’ words in Matthew 7:1–5 help us to avoid divisions and conflicts in the church?
4. Why is reconciliation with an offended brother a prerequisite for acceptable worship?
5. What is the relationship between love and discipline?
6. Many times unity is threatened by nothing other than selfishness. How can we make sure that we are not guilty of jeopardizing unity for no good reason?