Pulse and Bloom is an interactive art installation that visualizes the heartbeats of participants with the hope of syncing human heartbeats in a rhythmic pattern. Created by Shilo Shiv Suleman, Saba Ghole, Rohan Dixit, Samuel Clay, Heather Stewart, and Luke Iseman for this year's Burning Man 2014.
Composed of 25 mechanical lotuses arranged in a circular matrix shape with LED lights embedded inside each lotus, Pulse and Bloom is activated when individual participants physically interact with a lotus. Each lotus is equipped with a pulse sensor that, when pressed by a participant, translates their heartbeat into flashing LED lights within the lotus. As more people begin to interact with the different lotuses, visualizing their heartbeats in flashing lights, we will begin to see the effects of each person’s heartbeat on the other and the effect of meditative synchronicity unfold.
1. "Rolling Stone" - rollingstone.com/culture/pictures/burning-man-2014-trippiest-photos-20140910/flower-power-20140910
2. "BBC" - bbc.com/news/in-pictures-29059374
3. "CBS" - cbsnews.com/pictures/burning-man-2014/9/
4. "NBC" - nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop-culture-news/desert-dwellers-burning-man-festival-full-swing-n192541
5. "MSNBC" - msnbc.com/msnbc/week-pictures-aug-30-sept-5-2014
6. "The Atlantic" - theatlantic.com/infocus/2014/09/burning-man-2014/100802/#img07
7. "The Huffington Post" - huffingtonpost.com/diana-divecha-phd/my-daughter-took-me-to-bu_b_5788520.html?utm_hp_ref=arts&ir=Arts
Pulse and Bloom
Burning Man 2014
Music by Brown Bear - "GIANTS"
Shot by Belinda Man
Filmed on the GoPro2 in Black Rock City, Nevada