“Sunny Flowers” is a four hands work by Lia and Paolo Aldi, the visionary tale of the meeting of a flower with sunbeams, water, and heat; it is the synthesis of the natural evolution and its transformations that exalt themselves in photography. Sunny flowers are reflections on the photographic medium and its technical history. They use the ultraviolet techniques characteristic of the nineteenth century, the film of the twentieth century and the use of digital technology of the present century.
This is a Dada-inspired operation: rejecting standards and saying no to conventions. It is a rejection of the business/commercial motivations and logic, an extravagant affair conducted following a set of 10 COMMANDMENTS by the artist.
1. DEMOCRACY. To allow everybody to enjoy my photographs without having to spend a fortune.
2. ATTENTION. All of my LIBRO D'ARTISTA come in multiple editions, but each edition is a unique work that is distinguished from the others by the variety of the photographs within. A collector understands that what I deliver to him is similar to, and yet different from, all the others. This uniqueness is attention, and it is my tribute to the collector.
3. MULTIPLICITY. There are many editions, theoretically as many as all of the possible combinations of all of the photographs contained within. This expands the potential audience for the collection.
4. LESS. Every new edition costs a little more than the preceding one, therefore the first collectors who are more ready to believe in my work are rewarded with a better price.
5. NO. No to the law of the marketplace that requires that the first edition of the LIBRO D'ARTISTA be more precious and expensive than the later ones. No to the intermediaries and distributors, who place themselves between artists and collectors, i.e. between artists and those who want their art.
6. PRODUCED ON DEMAND. Each of my LIBRO D'ARTISTA is produced only by special order.
7. HANDMADE. The book is made personally by me and my wife.
8. DEDICATED. The book is dedicated to the collector.
9. RELATIONSHIP. The special ordering of the LIBRO — its making, its dedication, and its delivery — are constructions and moments in a relationship.
10. DADA. Is all this absurd?