35-second trailer of the film "Broken Tongue" (2013), by Mónica Savirón.
[Total length 3 minutes / USA / Color & Black/White / English / 16mm]
"Broken Tongue" is an ode to the freedom of movement, association, and expression. It pays homage to the diaspora of the different waves of migration, and challenges the way we represent our narratives. This film is a search for a renewed consciousness, for reinvention, a “what if”, the formal equivalent of asking a question expressed with a broken tongue – or not so broken after all.
Mainly made with images from the January 1st issues of “The New York Times” since its beginning in 1851 to 2013, "Broken Tongue" is a heartfelt tribute to avant-garde sound performer Tracie Morris and to her poem “Afrika”.
Sound Performer TRACIE MORRIS.
In collaboration with BILL BRAND, STEVE COSSMAN, AL FILREIS, CRISTA GRAUER, SEAN HANLEY, CHANG HUN KIM, JAKE KREEGER, LAURA MAJOR, RYAN MARINO, STEVE MCLAUGHLIN, LUIS ORTIZ GUILLÉN, ALISON SKY, PHIL SOLOMON, and JOSH SOLONDZ.
Edition, Cinematography, Direction MÓNICA SAVIRÓN
SCREENINGS AND AWARDS:
- 52nd Ann Arbor Film Festival. Ann Arbor, Michigan. March 25-30, 2014. Screening March, 29. World Premiere.
- Crossroads, San Francisco Cinematheque. San Francisco, California. April 3-6, 2014. Screening April 6. Bay Area Premiere.
- Sarasota International Film Festival. Sarasota, Florida. April 4–13, 2014. Screening April 5.
- Spectra Film Series. Kansas City, Missouri. “Action : Aesthetics : Politics”. Curated by Caitlin Horsmon. April 17, 2014.
- IC DOCS, Iowa City International Film Festival. Iowa City, Iowa. April 17-19, 2014. Screening April 19, 2014. Jury Honorable Mention.
- 60th Internationale Kurzfilmtage Oberhausen. Oberhausen, Germany. May 1-6, 2014. Screening May 2nd. International Premiere.
- Edinburgh International Film Festival. Edinburgh, Scotland. June 18-29, 2014. Screening June 25 & 29. UK Premiere.
- 18th FIDOCS, International Film Festival. Santiago, Chile. June 23-29, 2014. Screening June 25 & 27. Latin American Premiere. Jury Special Mention.
- Artists' Film and Moving Image Biennial, Institute of Contemporary Art, ICA London. “Avant-Noir”. Curated by Greg de Cuir, Jr. July 6, 2014.
- 11th EXiS, Experimental Film and Video Festival. Seoul, Korea. August 28 - September 4, 2014. Screenings August 31 and September 3.
- I FRONTEIRA International Documentary & Experimental Film Festival. Goiânia, Brazil. August 30 – September 7, 2014. Screening September 6. First Prize Best Film/Short.
- ARKIPEL, Documentary and Experimental Film Festival. Jakarta, Indonesia. September 11-18, 2014. Screenings September 12 & 17.
- 24th International Film Festival MESSAGE TO MAN. Saint-Petersburg, Russia. September 20-27, 2014. Screenings September 22 & 25. Russian Premiere.
- 52nd New York Film Festival PROJECTIONS. October 3-5, 2014. Screening October 5. New York Premiere.
- 17th ANTIMATTER [Media Art]. October 17 - November 1, 2014. Victoria, British Columbia. Screening October 19. Canada Premiere.
- INVIDEO, International Exhibition of Video Art and Cinema Beyond. Milan, Italy. October 29 – November 9, 2014. Screening October 31.
- 31st Kassel Documentary Film & Video Festival. Kassel, Germany. November 11-16, 2014. Screening November 15.
- L’Alternativa – 21st Barcelona Independent Film Festival. Centre for Contemporary Culture of Barcelona, Spain. November 17-23, 2014. Screenings November 21 & 22.
- 29th Mar del Plata International Film Festival. Mar del Plata, Argentina. November 22–30, 2014. Screenings November 25 & 26.
- FIVA Festival Internacional de Videoarte. Buenos Aires, Argentina. December 1-3, 2014. Screening December 2.
- Filmmaker Festival Internazionale di Cinema. Milan, Italy. November 28 – December 8, 2014. Screening December 3.
- Cineclub “La Furia Umana”. Cinéma Saint-André des Arts, Paris. Curated by Toni D’Angela, Enrico Camporesi, and Raquel Schefer. Screening December 14, 2014.
- Euro-in Film. Novi Sad, Serbia. Curated by Jeanne C. Finley. Screening December 18, 2014.
- National Gallery of Art. Washington DC. Screening January 3, 2015.
- Cine Tonalá. Mexico City, Mexico. Screening January 10, 2015.
- Los Angeles Filmforum. Los Angeles, California. Screening January 11, 2015.
- 28 Stuttgarter Filmwinter. Stuttgart, Germany. January 15-18, 2015. Screening January 16.
- Onion City Experimental Film and Video Festival. January 18-25, 2015. Screening January 18, Opening Night.
- Cinema Project. 38 Portland International Film Festival. Portland, Oregon. February 5-21, 2015. Screening February 17.
- Las Palmas International Film Festival, Spain. March 14-21, 2015. Screenings March 18 & 20.
- 33 International Festival of Films on Art, FIFA. MEDIA ARTS. Montreal, Canada. March 19-29, 2015. Screenings March 21, 22 & 28.
- Experiments in Cinema v10.T36. Alburquerque, New Mexico. April 15-19, 2015.