Why work for the meager 10% who can afford to buy design, if you can also make a difference for the other 90%? That is what product designers Luc van Hoeckel and Pim van Baarsen are aiming for. Solving problems and making life easier is what makes work interesting for these designers. Since Europe is already awash with designers, they venture to developing countries to find creative solutions for local problems. Exchanging knowledge and cooperation are central in their style of work. According to them, sustainability is coming towards our current needs without harming future generations. Designers have the task to explain to consumers what the word ‘sustainability’ actually means, now that is has become such a popular word.
Art Intervention researches the crossroads of sustainability, innovation and design in the Netherlands. It is part of the international art project “What’s the Deal” on urban culture and sustainability, in cooperation with Kulturreferat München (DE), Kunstzentrat (DE), Kino Šiška (SI) and Schmiede Hallein (AT).
In the beginning of 2015 Coolpolitics/Lokaalmondiaal will be curating an extensive program on design and sustainability in Amsterdam.
A video by Coolpolitics
Directed by: André van der Stouwe
Editing: Joris Derks en André van der Stouwe
Research & Concept: Amal Al Haag
Concept & Coordination: Susanne Eskens
Music by: Chris Zabriskie