An April 15, 2010 news conference in Washington, D.C. in support of the Financial Speculation Tax. Speakers include:
* Damon Silvers, director of policy and special counsel, AFL-CIO
* John Fullerton, former managing director, JPMorgan
* Raymond Offenheiser, president, Oxfam America
* Sarita Gupta, executive director, Jobs with Justice
* Dean Baker, co-director, Center for Economic and Policy Research
* Dr. Paul Zeitz, executive director, Global AIDS Alliance
* Robert Weissman, president, Public Citizen
A broad coalition of economic experts, labor leaders, and consumer, development and global health advocates are calling on Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner, Congress and President Barack Obama to swiftly pass and enact a tax on financial speculation.
The tax is a very small levy on financial short-term transactions, which will curb excessive speculation by big banks, but with a minimal impact on long-term investors.
The news conference was sponsored by Americans for Financial Reform, Health GAP, Institute for Policy Studies, Public Citizen, Oxfam America, and Partners in Health.