(EXCERPT with Sara Najafi and Parvin Namazi)
NO LAND'S SONG
A feature documentary film by Ayat Najafi
Germany/France - 2014 - 90 min - HD - English subtitles
With Sara Najafi, Parvin Namazi, Sayeh Sodeyfi, Elise Caron, Jeanne Cherhal, Emel Mathlouthi, ...
Co-produced by Torero Film, Hanfgarn&Ufer and CHAZ Productions., in association with Al Jazeera
With the support of : MFG, Medienboard Berlin, Kuratorium Junger Deutscher Film, CNC, SACEM, Institut Français - Ministère des affaires étrangères
and the participation of TV5 Monde
Synopsis : In Iran, since the 1979 revolution, women are no longer allowed to sing in public as soloists - at least in front of men.
Defying censorship and taboos, the young composer Sara Najafi is determined to organize an official concert for solo female singers. In order to support their fight, Sara and her friends Parvin Namazi and Sayeh Sodeyfi invite three female singers from France, Elise Caron, Jeanne Cherhal and Emel Mathlouthi, to join them in Tehran and collaborate on their musical project, re-opening a musical bridge between France and Iran.
Are they going to succeed and finally be gathered in Tehran, sing together, on stage and without restrictions, and to open a door towards a new freedom of women in Iran ?
• Audience Award for Best documentary film - Montreal World Film Festival
• Best Documentary Director – NOOR Iranian Film Festival, Los Angeles, USA
• Prize of the Youth Jury - DOK Leipzig, Germany
• DOCUFICX Award (Best documentary) - 52 Festival Intl de Cine de Gijón, Spain
• Audience Award - 6th Middle East Now festival, Firenze, Italy
• Special Mention Fleury Mérogis Jury - Festival International du Film des Droits de l'Homme, Paris, France
• Special Mention from Exberliner Prize – Achtung Berlin, Germany
• Special Jury Mention - DocMusicFilm - 55th Krakow Film Festival, Poland
• Nestor Almendros Award for courage in filmmaking - Human Rights Watch Film Festival, New York, USA