Greenwood Primary School had its origin in the Albert Jackson Primary School which first opened its doors on 26 January 1942 on the corner of Pearson Street and Belmont Terrace overlooking the Donkin Reserve.
The school occupied the Old Grey Institute building which was the old Port Elizabeth Teachers’ Centre. The school was named after Mr Albert Jackson, a businessman, who played a prominent role in promoting and fostering education in Port Elizabeth.
The school flourished and the buildings became inadequate and antiquated. After years of correspondence and representation to the Department, four stately old homes were expropriated in Park Drive to build the present school building. The school has a pleasant setting, steeped in history and is highly conducive to learning activities.
Our beautiful, three storey building was erected amongst the magnificent old trees which have weathered many storms over the years. The school was named GREENWOOD PRIMARY SCHOOL and the pupils moved into the school building on 11 July 1973. The school’s Founders Day is held on 8 September each year to coincide with the laying of the foundation stone on 8 September 1972. A Founders Day ceremony is held each year.
The school is rich in tradition and has a history of fine academic progress with high standards being maintained. We do not, however, rest on our laurels and ensure that we keep up with the modern educational techniques and ideas that are demanded by today’s society.
Greenwood Primary strives to guide the way for its pupils, fulfilling every aspect of its ethos and motto, FIAT LUX - Let there be light.