Performed by Ensemble Offspring members Claire Edwardes (percussion), and Zubin Kanga (piano).
2010 ISCM World New Music Days, Sydney, Australia.
Michael Finnissy: “The reality that we, as living composers, are forced to accept - as natural - that the music of the past is unquestionably so much better than anything we might write and is going to be played so much more than ours is, is just bizarre. ...it began to happen in the nineteenth century, a facet of bourgeois culture, that the good old days are better than the here and now. The past is more secure, more comfortable, you can tell more lies about it.”
2. À Pierre Mènard
4. Temps-Réel (à Gilius van Bergeijk)
5. Torso, Ruin
6. Burial of the Sardines
7. Cirque de Calder I
10. Step inside the box, step outside the box, step inside the box, step outside the box.
Repeat until the box disappears.
11. The Mortification of Mozart - aka The Webern Opus 27 Rhinoplasty Catastrophe.
12. Cirque de Calder II
13. Allegro Assai in a Liquid Culture
14-19 Voodoo for (insert name here) I-VI
20. Mausolea in the present tense (à Louis Andriessen)