The Profane Museum, founded by Clement XIII in 1761 was the first gallery in the Vatican dedicated to the display of the ancient “profane” pieces. These included pagan art as well as “domestic” instruments (cameos, ivory, rock crystal and small bronzes). The museum underwent a large overhaul when a new entrance was constructed and many pieces underwent a course of restoration. In particular, a set of mythological statues were able to be restored thanks to the efforts of the Michigan Chapter.
© Vatican Museums