about / designers & glass makers / theme
Themes: Makers x Makers
For as many years that hand made glass has been made, a particular format has been used. Whether mould blown, or hand finished the final object is close to being finished when broken off the iron. Of course cutting is used to decorate and to finish rims. But what if the cutting was very much part of creating several finished objects from the original one.
In the case of lamp working, it may be that you start with several components and later fuse together.
So you are being asked to create one blown or lamp worked object that is then cut up to produce several other objects, or to re arrange the original object using every part that has been shaped.
Invited designers include:
- University of Edinburg: Gemma Leamy (UK)
- Konstfack: Ulrika Barr (SE)
- Gerrit Rietveld Academie: Nathan Favot (NL)
- HEAR: Galla Theodosis (FR)
- UMPRUM: Helena Todd (CZ)
- KADK: George William Bell (DK)
- Aalto University: Liisa Poskiparta (FI)
- Universtiy of Sunderland: Erin Elizabeth Dickson (UK)
Tutors and glassblowers include:
Royal College of Art - Martin Smith (UK)
Simon Moore (UK)
Liam Reeves (UK)