Law Clips from the 25 May 2010 meeting between Tier 1 Coaches and iRB Referee Manager's meeting.
Posted for the purpose of discussion with my referee coach. All rights iRB.
Tags: rugby, iRB, Law Clips, Law 10, Maul
Clip # 3 of !0 "Maul - Law 10.1 (c) Illegal Maul Formation "
From the Meeting Minutes, relative to this clip:
Maul formation from lineouts
• Teams are entitled to defend a Maul so ball carrier must be bound by opponent at start of Maul otherwise it is obstruction.
• Currently not refereed well and needs to be a priority of the referee at the lineout.
• Referees need to sanction the clear and obvious offences.
• Both the ball winning team and the defending team to be refereed equally at the Maul
• The same applies for obstruction at the kick off but referees only to rule on clear and obvious after player lifted to receive kick off is bought to the ground.
• A player in front of the ball winner at the time he is in the air should not be penalised.