LATEST VIDEO: Los Angeles Nights - vimeo.com/243541979
This is the city-wide follow up to my aerial exploration of downtown Los Angeles from last year (vimeo.com/101231747). And much like with downtown, I continue to be awe struck by how much of this vast city I have partially or completely overlooked before undertaking this video. And like most voyages of discovery, I've realize there’s so much more to find.
Packing it all into one short-form video has been nigh impossible and much didn’t make it for safety, privacy or simply because I couldn't make it 30 minutes long! Notably missing are: LAX Theme Building, both Gettys, some Lautner homes, numerous beautiful buildings, the Gabba gallery, many murals that vanished before I got to them, and much of downtown featured in last year’s video.
A map of the locations is here: https://goo.gl/f4fq3U
The music is BLu ACiD’s electro-blues adaptation of “If You Ain’t Never Had The Blues” by Boo Boo Davis and is used with permission. I felt it fitting to a city of eclectic styles and influences, equal parts refined and rough edges. The version used here is my own extended edit. Download the original song here: itunes.apple.com/us/album/if-you-aint-never-had-the-blues/id1006196698?i=1006197030
For queries about usage / licensing, commissioned shoots and on set aerial filming, please contact Silly Goose Media, sillygoosemedia.com, 310-776-5266, email@example.com.
All content is copyright of its respective copyright holders. Video content copyright Ian Wood, 2015. This video may only be embedded using the Vimeo player in its entirety, unaltered with accreditation. No portion of this video may be duplicated, altered, reused and/or unaccredited without explicit permission.
Droning For Good
With all the controversy about drones, it’s important to remember that they can be (and often are) used responsibly. As with many emerging technologies, the laws struggle to keep up and we must employ a common sense approach to their use that is respectful to community, safety and the law.
My Drone Protocol
- Avoid busy periods, rush hours, special events, etc.
- Avoid sensitive areas or anything that can be misconstrued without prior permission.
- Avoid crowds. Small groups only from the periphery with ground spotters and two-way radios.
- No flights near airports, TFR areas and restricted airspace (FAA class B, C, D).
- Be prepared for local air traffic below 400ft including awareness of helipad locations.
- Operate at or below roof lines to assure separation from air traffic.
- Avoid “loitering" next to residential homes and apts.
- Respect residential areas for quiet and right to privacy.
- Eliminate any material that inadvertently reveals someone in a place of privacy.