This dance, with a cast of 26 people, is a journey into the culture in Pre-Inquisition Spain where the Hebrew, Moorish (Arabic), Gypsy and Christian Spanish communities interacted. Using four magnificent choral and orchestral musical gems by Bonia Shur, the dancers exalt the quiet beauty within these cultures during times of tolerance during the 11th to 14th centuries and passionately celebrate the hope that this will happen again.
The capes and tabards worn by the dancers become medieval cave temples, tree roots, wedding canopies, clouds, stars and symbols of the three religions, Judaism, Islam, and Christianity. The poetry, the dance and the music mediates the rage and insanity of terrorism.
Nationally and internationally, we hope to share this piece in Israel for the Arab/Israeli Peace Community and at Hebrew Union College in New York and Los Angeles.
Growth in Motion, Inc. dance company performed all or part of this work at the following locations:
• April 2, 2006 - Abraham Peace Walk @ Unity Church - the walk started at the Christian Unity Church to the Jewish Hillel Center and then to the Islamic Center
• May 3, 2006 - Hebrew Union College (Cincinnati)
• May 14, 2006 - NANA (North Avondale Neighborhood Association)
• May 17, 2006 - Harmony High School
• June 2 and 3, 2006 - "Choreographers Without Companies" concert at the Aronoff (Jarson/Kaplan Theater)
• June 11, 2006 - House of Joy Christian Ministries
• St. Claire Cathedral of the Sisters of St. Francis in Cincinnati, Ohio
• Faith United Church of Christ in Cincinnati, Ohio
• St. John's Unitarian Church in Cincinnati, Ohio
Fanchon Shur's website: growthinmotion.org