LakeSmart, our flagship program, is an education and reward program for homeowners who use lake-friendly practices to protect water quality, wildlife and property value. For more information, contact Maggie Shannon at 207-495-2301.
About the Maine Lakes Society
The Maine Lakes Society engages lake users and stakeholders in lakes education and sound stewardship practices, with the recognition that healthy lakes provide a basis for economic prosperity and cultural activity that is intimately tied to the environment. Our work with lake associations and other lake conservation organizations over the past 40 years has played a key role in protecting the health of hundreds of Maine lakes to date, and provides annual networking and learning opportunities connecting our professional peers with others interested in lake conservation statewide.
Support the work of Maine Lakes Society to keep our lakes healthy! We offer an exciting array of lake-focused programs with a broad reach to lake users and lakeshore landowners across the state:
- Council of Lake Associations – 144 Lake Association members and growing.
- LakeSmart – our non-regulatory, voluntary program to teach landscaping practices that protect lakes from stormwater runoff and prevent unwanted algal blooms.
- Lakes Alive! – we engage the hearts and minds of youth and adults through our experiential education program with the Melinda Ann, our 30-foot floating classroom.
- Our Annual Maine Lakes Conference offers excellent lake learning and networking sessions to empower the lake stewards of today and tomorrow.
- As a voice for Maine’s lakes in Augusta, we are a potent advocate for lake-protective legislation based on economic and scientific data. To ensure that the voices of lake lovers are heard, we galvanize our membership and help them develop compelling science-based testimony.
Founded in 1970 as the Congress of Lake Associations (COLA), we merged with the former Maine Lakes Conservancy Institute (MLCI) in 2012 and changed our name to better reflect our broader mission. The only statewide membership organization devoted solely to lakes, we work to strengthen the resilience of lake ecosystems in the face of climate change, poor land management, and inadequately enforced regulations. Our ambitious vision acknowledges the interest of ALL Maine citizens and the estimated 650,000 people who enjoy or use Maine’s lakes each year. Find out more and join us today! mainelakessociety.org