Horsemanship began at Pennsylvania Military College (now Widener University) in 1888 when the first shipment of cavalry horses arrived. Through long hours of training, cadets learned the skills of the mounted soldier. Colonel Frank Hyatt encouraged the sport of polo to improve the future soldiers’ riding abilities.
By the 1920s, most major colleges had polo teams -- the sport was a perfect fit for PMC’s well-trained horsemen. PMC's polo team entered intercollegiate competition in 1923. It became one of the best in the Intercollegiate Polo League and won a national championship in 1928. In the 1942- 43 season, PMC won the “College Polo Series” title award at West Point. This visitor orientation video was produced in 2015 by Interpretive Solutions for an interpretive exhibit created for the PMC Museum on the campus of Widener University.