As the world faces increasing environmental challenges, the imperative for shifting economic development onto a green, resource-efficient growth pathway is clear. The increased use of information and communication technology (ICT) can reduce energy use, cut greenhouse gas emissions and build resilience to the effects of climate change.
This video, narrated by Jeffrey Sachs, tells the story of the six winning activities under the 2015 Momentum for Change Awards ICT Solutions category:
• ChargePoint Electric Vehicle Charging Corridors | United States of America: Building a network of electric vehicle express charging stations
• Enabling Farmers to Adapt to Climate Change | Uganda: Using ICT solutions to build resilience
• Fairphone | The Netherlands: Producing a phone that improves lives and the environment
• Lifelink Water Solutions | Kenya and Uganda: Using ICT tools to provide safe, sustainable and affordable water
• Mapping Exposure to Sea Level Rise | Tonga, Samoa, Vanuatu and Papua New Guinea: Preparing for risk with online spatial tools
• Mobisol Smart Solar Homes | Rwanda and Tanzania: Powering homes with solar energy