This clip reel was created to support the PBS NewsHour Digitization Grant proposal, which was funded by the Council on Library and Information Resources. This project is a collaboration between WGBH, the Library of Congress, WETA, and NewsHour Productions, LLC to digitize, preserve, and make accessible via the American Archive of Public Broadcasting 35 years of PBS NewsHour's predecessor programs.
The reel includes clips from various PBS NewsHour programs, including:
1) Interview with the Shah of Iran on The MacNeil/Lehrer Report (air date: November 14, 1977). The Shah was interviewed during a trip to the U.S. by Jim Lehrer and Robert MacNeil. The interview took place at a time of growing unrest in Iran prior to the Islamic Revolution.
2) Interview with Ayatollah Khomeini on the MacNeil/Lehrer Report (air date: December 1, 1978). The Ayatollah was interviewed by Robert MacNeil at his home in exile in Ponchartrain, France. The interview took place as his followers were arming themselves to take control of Iran in the Islamic Revolution.
3) Interview with Fidel Castro on The MacNeil/Lehrer NewsHour (air date: February 12, 1985). Castro was interviewed by Robert MacNeil. It was the first interview he had given to a Western reporter in six years. Castro displayed defiance and distain for U.S. policy toward his government.
4) A report on life under apartheid in South Africa on The MacNeil/Lehrer NewsHour (air date: September 30, 1985). Charlayne Hunter-Gault reported on how children living in KwaTema township protested the apartheid system.
5) Interview with Nelson Mandela on The MacNeil/Lehrer NewsHour (air date: February 16, 1990). Charlayne Hunter-Gault spoke with Mandela just a few days after he was released from 27 years of imprisonment.
6) Interview with former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court Warren Burger on The MacNeil/Lehrer NewsHour (air date: December 16, 1991). Charlayne Hunter-Gault interviewed Justice Burger in one segment of a series of interviews on the Bill of Rights. Justice Burger talked about his opposition to modern day interpretations of the 2nd Amendment.
7) Interview with President Bill Clinton on The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer (air date: January 21, 1998). Jim Lehrer conducted the first interview with President Clinton on the day that allegation of an affair with Monica Lewinsky were first reported.
8) Interview with President Bill Clinton on The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer (air date: July 7, 2004). Jim Lehrer interviewed the former president after the publication of his memoirs and asked for an explanation of why the president has skirted the truth in their 1998 interview.
9) Interview with Benazir Bhutto on The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer (air date: November 16, 2007). Margaret Warner interviewed the Pakistani opposition leader just hours after her release from detention by Pakistan’s leader Gen. Musharraf.
10) Interview with August Wilson (air date: April 6, 2001). Gwen Ifill talked with Wilson about his production of “King Hedley” and his reputation as a playwright.