Spoiler... the title is a little tongue in cheek.
Cascio likens the future problems to a metaphorical flotilla of asteroids coming our way:
- Asteroid 1: Stranded Assets - the kinds of resources that we put enormous amount of money into that will in a very short amount of time become effectively valueless.
- Asteroid 2: Blockchain Architectures - encryption (bitcoin is a prime example) - it's more than just a currency to use in the dark net. It can be used to essentially translate the legalities of a contract into a self-executing algorithm - quite interesting implications for micro-payments etc
- Asteroid 3: The End of Advertising - go adblock! increasing support in handheld devices like iphone6 to block certain content
- Asteroid 4: Digital = Hackable - social and economic hacking possible as a result of expanded use of digital technology
- Asteroid 5: The Transformation of Labor - many manifestations:
- Gig economy - moment by moment task based jobs with shaky future, people can be easily swapped out for cheaper options
- Semi-automatic labor - both customers and machines doing the labor (ATMs + customers replace bank tellers, automated supermarket checkouts + customers replace checkout staff) - where the end user supplies the input that a computer can't yet do easily
Because of the rise of automation we have a dilemma - how do you a) increase efficiency, while b) maintain a livable lifestyle when you don't have reliable jobs?
Perhaps the most difficult human trait for machines to replace is empathy - the kinds of jobs that have sometimes been considered to be less critical (often done by women).
"How do we deal with a world where the kinds of jobs that have been historically good strong middle class jobs are increasingly easy to automate ... and the kinds of jobs that persist have historically not been given respect?" - Jamais Cascio
Many thanks for watching!
- Support me via Patreon: patreon.com/scifuture
- Science, Technology & the Future website: scifuture.org