The opening session of the Orchestras Live Conference 2010 featured Aurora Orchestra, under the leadership of Nicholas Collon (Aurora’s Principal Conductor). Fittingly for a conference about new music, this session saw a transitional work-in-progress of a new Orchestras Live commission by composer Julian Philips for a new suite inspired by his opera Varjak Paw.
Video footage of the whole session, led by Nicholas and Julian, is available now to view below, separated into four clips.
The musicians who took part in this session were:
* Jane Mitchell (flute/alto flute/piccolo)
* Huw Morgan (trumpet/piccolo trumpet)
* Peter Sparks (clarinet/bass clarinet)
* Tracey Thurlow (clarinet/baritone saxophone)
* Scott Lumsdaine (percussion)
* Ian Watson (accordion)
* John Reid (piano)
* Richard Pryce (double bass)
Video by Simon Weir. Thanks to Aurora Orchestra for allowing us to use these clips.